Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

FFXI on Google stadia?

Is this something the developers could offer?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I hope not, google stadia is a garbage concept and needs to die. Who really wants to buy a device to play PC games with bonus extra input lag when they can just buy a PC?

The Nintendo Switch pitch is a better idea. Cloud gaming is just dumb outside of the casual game market. Anyone gamer worth their salt who would want to play any serious games would just buy a PC or even a console that can run the game locally.
    (4)

Player
    This has nothing to do with if stadia is good or not, who cares. Google has unlimited money and they will keep it going until the infrastructure can support it and there are lots of games on the platform. They aren't going anywhere, they are just getting in early to dominate the streaming market 5 years from now.

This is about FFXI using stadia for an easy to get method to play the game at low cost. The point is that ffxi does not work well on laptops and that it costs a lot of money to port it to any other console, stadia basically streams a pc version of the game to players and all you need is the controller. It's cheap and offers a version of ffxi people can easily play.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    This has nothing to do with if stadia is good or not, who cares. Google has unlimited money and they will keep it going until the infrastructure can support it and there are lots of games on the platform. They aren't going anywhere, they are just getting in early to dominate the streaming market 5 years from now.

This is about FFXI using stadia for an easy to get method to play the game at low cost. The point is that ffxi does not work well on laptops and that it costs a lot of money to port it to any other console, stadia basically streams a pc version of the game to players and all you need is the controller. It's cheap and offers a version of ffxi people can easily play.
    It has everything to do it. Why would they waste money making the game available on a terrible platform that's unsuitable for playing online multiplayer games?
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It has everything to do it. Why would they waste money making the game available on a terrible platform that's unsuitable for playing online multiplayer games?
    Because Stadia plays the game on a PC and streams it to people, there is no conversion needed to port it to a console. It would cost pretty much nothing and allow people to play it that don't have a decent PC. This is a case of trying to find a platform they can afford to port to and as far as I can see this is the only option they could offer.

Also it works fine for Destiny2, so it will work fine for ffxi that was made for 56k phone systems.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I know what stadia does. Yeah, it might be minimal work for the devs to support it, but that doesn't mean they should.

Yeah, if you like input lag, it works fine. I don't, so it doesn't. I also don't like watching the graphics freak out whenever there's any kind of a connection hiccup. Google stadia is bad.

https://kotaku.com/google-s-stadia-j...-it-1839930224
    This guy says it way better than I could have.

"But again, I ask: Who else is this for? Outside of the ability to stream games on a browser or your phone, I really can’t find a strong selling point for playing games that you can largely get on other platforms already for around the same price. Stadia’s for tech-savvy people, but it’s likely they already own an easier way to play these games"

The platform isn't that much cheaper than a console, and you still have to pay full price (unless you got the "Founder's Edition" for games that will automatically perform at least slightly worse than if they were being played on the original hardware at home.
    (3)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-27-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Player
    You're coming at this from the PoV of debunking Stadia, nobody cares if Stadia is good for the industry or good for games. Whether you or I like it, that's the future because every company wants the mass market and the mass market hates the bar of entry we currently have. Google stadia is not going away, it will stay until it dominates no matter how long or how much money they lose. If you want proof of that just look at Youtube, a platform that loses masses of money every year and always has but they run it at a loss just to dominate the industry with the intent of making extreme profits in the future. This will be the same because just like Epic games, they can easily pay for exclusives if they want to. They have all the money in the world.

Anyway, the point is that it's easy for Square to port to and it's the only alternative to PC only as we have now. FFXI does not run well on laptops.

We will never get ffxi ported to anything else because it costs too much, the cost to run on stadia would be very small and if only a few thousand people use it then it would be worth it.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    You're coming at this from the PoV of debunking Stadia, nobody cares if
    What angle you think I'm coming from is irrelevant. It's a bad idea from whatever "angle" you want to imagine up.
    (1)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    If they have made FFXI only available on Stadia and consoles then that would bring an end to all third party tools. I can only imagine that.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehira View Post
    If they have made FFXI only available on Stadia and consoles then that would bring an end to all third party tools. I can only imagine that.
    Not really. It would be harder to do, but not impossible.

And I'm not going to kid you, if SE made all external tools disappear (which is impossible) a lot of people would be quitting the game. Keep in mind the main reason many of these tools exist is to address legitimate faliures of SE's UI systems. We could have gotten a UI that actually could have addressed these deficiencies, but SE abandoned it midway through development. Now, some people associate any and all external tools as "cheating" but in reality, most are benign and well intentioned, trying to make our experience a little bit better in places where SE has dropped the ball in the past. Simple things often, like showing information on the screen that every modern MMO displays for us but FFXI buries under a multitude of menus- things like your EXP/CP and TNL, how much money you have, bigger/easier to read health bars, etc.

I don't advocate actual cheating, like speedhacking/warping, revealing information that isn't normally available to the player, automated multiboxing, and other things that an actual person wouldn't be capable of doing. However, FFXI's UI is debatably where the game shows its age the most, with menu systems typical of a single player turn based game in an online realtime combat game. It could seriously do with an update, but that will likely never happen with the current scope of the dev team we have now.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast