Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Player Beastorizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    65
    Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 49

    Boosting BST Through Pets? It Can Be Done.......

    Whew, the devs are getting a lot of heat from the most recent BST update. I want to attempt to calm the riot, maybe help the devs out.....

    Key words when picking the new pets.....

    Very high damage
    High Damage
    Severe damage
    Extreme damage

    I will let you guys match the description of the beast.....Make these moves cost 1 charge, via ability or they simply cost 1 charge by default.

    My thinking is, given BST current mechanics, it has to be a high risk, high reward dd. Meaning, BST will be the most powerful dd, but it must have some cons. To prevent bandwagons, SMN comparisons & "Nerf" cries. As long as close range ready works 100% of the time...

    I am fine with the close range nerf, and those dd whom are proud that they are responsible. Ok, you got your nerf. Now, don't start crying when we get powerful pets.....

    Regardless, get your popcorn ready while refreshing your favorite FFXI site. Gonna be really good, or really bad imo. I am not ready to get angry until I see the pets 1st. May be naive, but I am just being fair to the devs.
    (0)

  2. #2
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    6,775
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I mean as I understand the main grievances BST players have with the job have little to do with its damage output and everything to do with the change they made back that limited pet command range, making the job infinitely frustrating to play.
    (1)

  3. #3
    Player Beastorizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    65
    Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 49
    As a BST main, my issue is how ready does not even work 100% of the time when you are actually close range. I have no issue being close range. I can only speak for myself however.

    Since they have no intentions of changing the range (For now...), my point was a trade off for insane damage, at the risk of being close range. I would close range 70% of the time anyway from 2002-Now. Running away during tp moves. Some BST would spam treats while letting the pet kill the mob 90% of the time. I think those people are the ones hurting the most. As a BST whom dd alongside the pet the majority of the time, I do understand their anger.

    The play-style of the long range BST was destroyed, & the solo BST to a lesser extent. I understand their frustrations, because they essentially have to re-learn BST. Or play a style they are not comfortable with.
    (0)

  4. #4
    Player Xilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    685
    Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    ready command range actually vary a bit by model size of pet and master.

    you have to pay a ridiculous amount of focus on pet distance. even after trying to get used to it, I can hit the macro for a pet command... it doesn't execute... double check the log, and statue effects. get closer, hit command again....

    However, I don't agree that just getting rediculous stats on new pets is a good answer to bst.
    (3)
    Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
    --Beastmaster Forever--

  5. #5
    Player Beastorizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    65
    Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 49
    Depends on what you want from BST.

    In terms of dd, moves like Spike Flail or Scintillant Lance would make BST an insane dd. Strongest in the game.

    Now, you can also throw a ton of abilities at BST like they have been doing the past three years hoping one sticks. I just feel that the former is much easier.

    "Hey, here is a unicorn jug"

    Vs what they have been doing for over a decade. More than one way to solve BST, I just feel the right pets is the easier solution since BST is considered a dd. Giving BST native DW would be a start.
    (0)

  6. #6
    Player Gwydion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    409
    Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastorizer View Post
    Depends on what you want from BST.

    In terms of dd, moves like Spike Flail or Scintillant Lance would make BST an insane dd. Strongest in the game.

    Now, you can also throw a ton of abilities at BST like they have been doing the past three years hoping one sticks. I just feel that the former is much easier.

    "Hey, here is a unicorn jug"

    Vs what they have been doing for over a decade. More than one way to solve BST, I just feel the right pets is the easier solution since BST is considered a dd. Giving BST native DW would be a start.
    This is just inherently wrong. I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but I've played BST for the better part of 12 years. I had to stop playing BST when the distance nerf was released. As Xilk said, the distance calculation varies by master, pet AND MONSTER models. Even the best, most unique and powerful jug pet imaginable would still be difficult control simply because your monster target can face a new direction or take a few steps closer to another DD. (This is absolutely ridiculous).

    Three years ago SE insisted that BST is a front-line DD, and has yet to adjust our job abilities, combat skills or job traits to enable us to behave as such.
    (2)

  7. #7
    Player Beastorizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    65
    Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 49
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    This is just inherently wrong. I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but I've played BST for the better part of 12 years. I had to stop playing BST when the distance nerf was released. As Xilk said, the distance calculation varies by master, pet AND MONSTER models. Even the best, most unique and powerful jug pet imaginable would still be difficult control simply because your monster target can face a new direction or take a few steps closer to another DD. (This is absolutely ridiculous).

    Three years ago SE insisted that BST is a front-line DD, and has yet to adjust our job abilities, combat skills or job traits to enable us to behave as such.
    I played BST since FFXI's release as-well.

    I dd alongside the pet the majority of the time. You stop playing BST when the distance nerf was released because you were most likely the type of BST whom did not dd alongside the pet (I assume?). I would get my emp gear from bosses by fighting with my pet. I would solo BCNM by fighting with my pet. I would level by fighting with my pet.

    I am not going to be entitled or ignorant & say, you are wrong for playing the way you do. However, my play-style was never dictated by distance, because I was always close range. I really don't know what to tell you, if you disagree with a play-style I have been utilizing for over a decade.....lol......

    Again, I feel for those whom play-style was damaged by the nerf, but I was never one of those people. As for ablities, I still hold firm releasing damaging pets is far easier. They have been dishing out useless abilities for BST for over a decade. Unleash is amazing, run wild is solid as-well. That is about it...
    (1)

  8. #8
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    6,775
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastorizer View Post
    I played BST since FFXI's release as-well.

    I dd alongside the pet the majority of the time. You stop playing BST when the distance nerf was released because you were most likely the type of BST whom did not dd alongside the pet (I assume?). I would get my emp gear from bosses by fighting with my pet. I would solo BCNM by fighting with my pet. I would level by fighting with my pet.

    I am not going to be entitled or ignorant & say, you are wrong for playing the way you do. However, my play-style was never dictated by distance, because I was always close range. I really don't know what to tell you, if you disagree with a play-style I have been utilizing for over a decade.....lol......

    Again, I feel for those whom play-style was damaged by the nerf, but I was never one of those people. As for ablities, I still hold firm releasing damaging pets is far easier. They have been dishing out useless abilities for BST for over a decade. Unleash is amazing, run wild is solid as-well. That is about it...
    Honestly, even if you were DPSing together, the command range nerf still causes a ton of frustration because with larger monsters, you can't (easily) stand on opposite sides of the monster or otherwise far enough apart to avoid AoEs and such hitting both you and the pet. So I'd argue that the change caused undue hassle for all playstyles of BST.

    Besides, the proper way to promote that kind of play would have been to make the rewards more worth the risks, rather than just say "you can't do this anymore because we said so." Besides, neither PUP nor SMN were subjected to this change- it's a special rule just for BST.
    (1)

  9. #9
    Player Gwydion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    409
    Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastorizer View Post
    I played BST since FFXI's release as-well.

    I dd alongside the pet the majority of the time. You stop playing BST when the distance nerf was released because you were most likely the type of BST whom did not dd alongside the pet (I assume?). I would get my emp gear from bosses by fighting with my pet. I would solo BCNM by fighting with my pet. I would level by fighting with my pet.

    I am not going to be entitled or ignorant & say, you are wrong for playing the way you do. However, my play-style was never dictated by distance, because I was always close range. I really don't know what to tell you, if you disagree with a play-style I have been utilizing for over a decade.....lol......

    Again, I feel for those whom play-style was damaged by the nerf, but I was never one of those people. As for ablities, I still hold firm releasing damaging pets is far easier. They have been dishing out useless abilities for BST for over a decade. Unleash is amazing, run wild is solid as-well. That is about it...
    Look, I mean this in a respectful way, but if you were not affected by the distance nerf, you've never played Beastmaster properly (or perhaps, never played Beastmaster against the variety of pets/monsters the game allows for). That's fine, that's your experience or perspective. You don't have to completely change the rules of basketball because one person plays half-court and everyone else plays full-court.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Honestly, even if you were DPSing together, the command range nerf still causes a ton of frustration because with larger monsters, you can't (easily) stand on opposite sides of the monster or otherwise far enough apart to avoid AoEs and such hitting both you and the pet. So I'd argue that the change caused undue hassle for all playstyles of BST.

    Besides, the proper way to promote that kind of play would have been to make the rewards more worth the risks, rather than just say "you can't do this anymore because we said so." Besides, neither PUP nor SMN were subjected to this change- it's a special rule just for BST.
    This. Exactly. 100%....and to add insult to injury (aside from November 2019 update), the Beastmaster job received zero modifications to support being a front-line DD, for enduring a shorter distance for executing Reward or /bstpet abilities. Beastmaster needs the distance nerf fixed, or an overhaul with job traits/combat skills to support being a front-line DD. (For either situation, Reward should be usable at the original pre-nerf distance). Period.
    (0)

  10. #10
    Player Beastorizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    65
    Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 49
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Look, I mean this in a respectful way, but if you were not affected by the distance nerf, you've never played Beastmaster properly (or perhaps, never played Beastmaster against the variety of pets/monsters the game allows for). That's fine, that's your experience or perspective. You don't have to completely change the rules of basketball because one person plays half-court and everyone else plays full-court.



    This. Exactly. 100%....and to add insult to injury (aside from November 2019 update), the Beastmaster job received zero modifications to support being a front-line DD, for enduring a shorter distance for executing Reward or /bstpet abilities. Beastmaster needs the distance nerf fixed, or an overhaul with job traits/combat skills to support being a front-line DD. (For either situation, Reward should be usable at the original pre-nerf distance). Period.
    So basically, if I do not play the way you guys play, I am doing it wrong? Well, one person is still an effective BST after the update, the other quit. Obviously I am doing something right lol.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast