Character
    Nelyus
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Fraudulent & Mischievous Bazaars

Hello,

This is not the first time I am raising this issue.
    Some people are selling items for the price of a stack in bazaar;
    Plutons, Beitetsu, Boulders & Alexandrites are popular choices.

I don't know why no actions are taken against such a scam.
    3 of my friends got trapped by those, all together lost over 150M gils to a mule named Emiriant on Odin server.
    2 of them quit the game shortly afterwards, the other one barely plays it anymore.

Today I walked to Orobo and saw a character named Karaodin holding such a bazaar.

Please ban the accounts of the players doing such a fraud. It is extremely frustrating to see people would steal from other in such manners. It is even more frustrating to see Square Enix accepts it.
    It is supposed to be against the user agreement; "to use deceptive tactics" "to steal from other players"

Thank you.
    (4)
    Nel.

Player
    It's not fraud. There is no price that players MUST charge. Regardless of how it looks to you. Anyone can put anything in their bazaar for any price. It's on YOU to not be stupid.
    (1)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    There is no rule to say how much somebody should/can charge for something. People (like businesses) can sell an item for whatever price they like. This is where 'Buyer awareness' kicks in.

There is also a confirmation box before you make that purchase, to check the final price.
    You wouldn't sign a legal document before reading it? No, you check it first.

So yeh, there are people out there looking to make a lot of money doing this, that [sadly] is part of life.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    We've had this on the server I'm on too, a Mithra mule sits next to Oboro 24/7 and sells the upgrade rocks for like 340k per single rock.

This is highly dishonourable behaviour.

It is not against the rules though, because it is a private bazaar. The rules apply to AH Manipulation, although of course the policing of such crimes is quite lax these days, along with all the other very obvious crimes.

I'm very sorry to hear that your friends quit the game, as a result of falling victim to this dishonourable behaviour. It is important to remember that in FFXI, for every dishonourable person running scams, there are ten people who behave honourably and will spend their own precious free time Helping You Out With Stuff.

I checked the Oboro mule on my server, and I was immediately aware, just from the supposed quantity available, that these were single items, not stacks. Nobody has thousands of stacks of these rocks in 2019. I prefer to farm these rocks myself in HMBC, or worst case scenario to buy these rocks on the AH.

Dishonourable "Dirty Play" gamers have existed in FFXI since before I joined in 2004. It is nothing new. You need to be alert, and guard your purse.

I remember we did an Under Observation BLM manaburn BCNM in 2006, and the person we picked up from /shout, she said "I want to use my orb last" (which should have made us wary!) It turns out she didn't have an orb at all. She just waited for the first battle to end, and she disbanded party and opened the treasure box as a Solo Player, to grab the PCC and Utsu scroll. She just opened the box, used a warp scroll, and immediately logged out.

So this kind of Dirty Play has been going on since forever. But it is important that you and your friends remember that 90% of players are not dishonourable brigands. Most FFXI players love Vana'diel and we want to make Vana'diel welcoming and enjoyable for everyone. We strive to cherish and defend Vana'diel, and we do so by behaving in a friendly and honourable manner.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    It's not fraud. There is no price that players MUST charge. Regardless of how it looks to you. Anyone can put anything in their bazaar for any price. It's on YOU to not be stupid.
    I think there's a difference between charging a high price and deliberately setting a single to the price of a stack or adding a few zeroes to exploit people that aren't paying close enough attention. One is just being a tough seller and the other is being predatory. This happens a lot and I don't really feel like the appropriate response is "sucks to be you." I think there is a certain level of egregiousness where SE should intervene.

TL;DR there's a difference between setting high prices and intentionally trying to scam people.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-01-2019 at 04:13 AM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I think there is a certain level of egregiousness where SE should intervene.
    Like I said, there is a confirmation box before you buy.

So there are two steps to NOT making the mistake.

1. Checking the price in the first place.
    2. Accepting the confirmation message to buy.

It doesn't need anymore than that.
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Honorable people will all agree that it is a disgusting practice that makes victims of unsuspecting or distracted people. Buyer beware is the only recourse currently as stated above.

That being said; I am leaving a link to a proposal i developed earlier this year that not only is a great improvement over our current status quo, but would additionally reduce the vast majority of scams and schemes that deteriorates the FFXI environment.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...my-econ-health
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Like I said, there is a confirmation box before you buy.

So there are two steps to NOT making the mistake.

1. Checking the price in the first place.
    2. Accepting the confirmation message to buy.

It doesn't need anymore than that.
    Confirmation prompts don't excuse intentional abusive behavior. And frankly, advocating for that to be the only recourse makes it look like you engage in this kind of activity.

There most certainly should be consequences for being a scam artist, for lack of a more forum-appropriate term.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-02-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Confirmation prompts don't excuse intentional abusive behavior. And frankly, advocating for that to be the only recourse makes it look like you engage in this kind of activity.
    My word. I mean, it's two steps.

LOOK at the price first, it's not rocket science is it?
    CHECK the confirmation box beforehand.

99% of the population manage this.

There are always going to be scammers around, trying to stop them is like trying to stop RMT.
    (0)

Character
    Tanuko
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 4
    Search “Kara” + four letter from your server name in Final Fantasy XI Auction site. It seems like gill seller try to scam on player.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast