Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66

Great jobs to aim for

Hello fellow Vana D'ielans,

I returned to the game just over a week ago and am thoroughly enjoying my time back. I've leveled a few jobs to around 50 being THF, DNC, PLD and working on NIN. I thought I'd ask on the forums anyone's input on what is fun to play and what is handy to have.

Personally I enjoy mostly what is fun over viability which to me is fast paced, with a lot of interaction. I'm enjoying DNC for this aspect. I'm also quite enjoying THF. Granted it doesn't have as many interactions as DNC but, I'm enjoying the huge sneak attack ws's. NIN seems cool but, I am disappointed with slow cast times and after reading a guide it pointed out casting elemental ninjutsu is a waste of dps. Does it become viable? Do the spells cast faster higher up? Atm they take forever to cast.

As for mages I find BLM to be fun but, I never was a fan of healing and don't really want to level WHM for a sub.

BLU seems like a tonne of fun. I see a lot of them around. Learning spells is damn painful however. Should I stick to it?

I'd love any replies and feedback from anyone. I don't have a current LS and am struggling to find English players. I'm from Australia so my main time is Japanese prime time. I did try Asura but, it was pretty packed and AH prices were huge as opposed to Odin.

Please feel free to hit me up in game! Monpipi and Torlin are my mains
    (3)

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Oh as a side note I'm generally playing solo at the moment so any jobs suggestions that would help me out there and also, being fun and viable end game as I said would be great!

Thanks
    (0)

Character
    Sohokyuhnatsan
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I vote BLU. It's great for solo play. The spells can be painful but they're also 99.9% solo-able.
    (1)

Character
    Divaud
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

As for mages I find BLM to be fun but, I never was a fan of healing and don't really want to level WHM for a sub.
    I would recommend GEO.

To me, it's got a great blend of utility and damage. It's similar to BLM that you can nuke things, but you can also buff your trusts or debuff monsters pretty substantially, which means more DD for you (or your trusts).

It's pretty easy to gear and it can be a very active job, but if you just want to kick back and let your buffs do the work, it provides a lot of leeway. I would recommend leveling RDM as a sub eventually but for early levels BLM or even NIN sub is fine, GEO can be handy with a club so thats another fun aspect.

And yes it is solo friendly. I really enjoy spamming the AoE spells while stacking refresh/support trusts with a tank like mnejing. Is it as capable as other jobs for damage and survivability? No, but it's a fun challenge to play it differently other than just buffing a party and tossing heals.

I also will add that on the off chance you do get into a group, having GEO ready to go will be something people are glad to have.

Good luck
    (0)

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Thanks to both of you for the replies, I greatly appreciate it

I've put BLU funnily enough on the back burner for now and have been focussing on THF and DNC. A little unsure how to min/max DNC damage with steps for example, having 1000% tp I usually box step, auto attack, box step, auto attack etc. Is this correct or do I spam box step one after the other?

GEO isn't something I've considered tbh. In reading up on it and it does sound fun and very interactive. If leveling with trusts I'll sort of be a support dps? In other words, I'd still need to summon Kupipi for heals?

It seems a little like SCH which I find interesting too. Very interactive granted I'm not sure how I'll go healing. DPS I have a good grasp of, healing well, I'd hate to let the team down if I'm bad at it

A little worried about the bank and cost of spells. I'm not the richest taru atm and I see any stuff can go for hundreds of millions of gil
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I can't say how the environment is on Odin, but on the most populated english server: Asura, the jobs that have the easiest time with invites to content depends on content strategies. Ambuscade typically WHM Runefencer BRD excel with quick invites with COR and GEO being nearly as in demand. Dynamis {D} teams will usually be seeking BRD WHM Runefencer COR GEO. Escha (Geas Fete) will usually be seeking Runefencer SMN WHM BRD GEO SCH, COR typically utilized as a pre-battle helper for rolls but often removed from the actual fight for hardest NMs to lower total HP NM spawns with.
    (0)

Character
    Divaud
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Thanks to both of you for the replies, I greatly appreciate it

I've put BLU funnily enough on the back burner for now and have been focussing on THF and DNC. A little unsure how to min/max DNC damage with steps for example, having 1000% tp I usually box step, auto attack, box step, auto attack etc. Is this correct or do I spam box step one after the other?

GEO isn't something I've considered tbh. In reading up on it and it does sound fun and very interactive. If leveling with trusts I'll sort of be a support dps? In other words, I'd still need to summon Kupipi for heals?

It seems a little like SCH which I find interesting too. Very interactive granted I'm not sure how I'll go healing. DPS I have a good grasp of, healing well, I'd hate to let the team down if I'm bad at it

A little worried about the bank and cost of spells. I'm not the richest taru atm and I see any stuff can go for hundreds of millions of gil
    For GEO the spells are actually pretty cheap, and the nice part is the self target (Indi) spells are the only ones you need to purchase. The "placeable" spells (Geo) are simply obtained by going to various founts after you obtain the Indi version.

You would need to use a healer in a trust party yes. If possible id recommend getting into Yoran-Oran unity and using him as a healer. He is generally the best at MP management.

Your role would be support/dps as GEO in a trust party. The buffs/debuffs are easy to keep up and will let you cast elemental spells or smack with clubs easily. Just try to manage your MP.

SCH is fun. You can switch roles on the fly, go from support/healer to support/dps. The amount of spells you'll need is daunting since you need both white magic and black magic. But if you are just leveling with trusts you can get by without every last spell.

And another benefit to leveling SCH is its a great subjob for any mage job.

Another quick tip, especially if you are new/light on gil, pick a couple jobs that have gear overlap like GEO and SCH share a lot of gear, and THF and DNC share a bit.

It helps to minimize costs and lets you play around with multiple roles.
    (0)

Character
    Monsutaman
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 75
    I leveled Monk, NIN, WAR, RUN and BST back in the day

Monk: Punching stuff is fun; and at higher levels, using counter-stance is a blast. When campaign was a thing, I liked fighting those hundred fist mobs with counter-stance. The lighting fast DBZ-esque exchange looks cool.

It seems boost or something was boosted because my Monk was hitting damn near 1k Raging fist to T-VT mobs in CN in the 40s. Or I was a crappy MNK back in the day.

RUN: I was not an all-world RUN by any means, but being a magic wall of sorts was fun.

BST: Just play monstrosity; or how BST pets should have been (Minus the crazy hp and spells). Variety with species and abilities. Besieged is fun though, because Tegmina Buffet > Unleash > Revitalizer > Repeat can clear out all the mobs. I try to leave some fun for everyone else though.

WAR: I like how they can be efficient with damn near every weapon. Savage Blade is crazy strong at 200-300TP.

Just my personal opinion, Monk or WAR. I had fun with these 2. Years later, returned to the game playing these 2 once again lol.
    (0)

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Wow u guys are the best! Thanks so much for the in-depth replies. I went and unlocked SCH and GEO, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they go. Managed 82 on my THF which, I am quite enjoying .

I leveled WAR to 49 for sub jobs and found I enjoyed dual wield axe a lot more than great axe. With that said end game would change things up a lot.

MNK does look extremely fun. I really do love fast paced. I'm still considering BLU had NIN. Haha honestly at this rate I'll get nowhere. There's so much to unlock and so, it's great.

Thanks again guys
    (0)
    Last edited by Bilbo; 08-08-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Hiya guys,

Well I've hit 99 on THF and have been looking into other jobs to level up and see if I like them while the bonus EXP campaign is going.

I was curious if anyone has input on RDM and COR? COR looks like a lot of fun end game with shooting and slicing things up at the same time. The only downfall I have is leveling marksman while leveling my character. I have to shoot constantly to level it and it's so slow. It's a hard barrier as to it's not so fun. I've spent a fortune of sparks on keeping it maxed and find I still miss. Is it worth the grind to the end?

Secondly, RDM. I found it to be fun with En-spells and Bar-spells and I like being able to nuke or heal when needed but, I got put off a little when I hear end game I'd only ever be asked to land enfeebles pretty much. Is there much truth to that?

I'm still playing solo atm so I feel RDM would be a good investment. I worry BLU may be a way better choice tho. I would like to try end game content however, BLU is so time consuming learning spells. It took nearly 2 hours to get healing wind and cocoon :O

As always, thank you for any replies! I truly appreciate it. It's a long grind to the end and not knowing what a class is like until you get there is a bit rough
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast