Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    It's not that they shouldn't, it's that they can't.

There is not a damn thing they can do without hurting everyone. You can get rid of them individually, which is what they do, but it takes 6 hours to get a brand new account to 99 and fully geared and generating money again.
    While it is true that it is difficult to combat cheating without affecting people who don't cheat, that's just the way things are. It highlights the flaws in your systems.

It is preferable to simply punish people who cheat, rather than nerf systems to prevent cheating, however punishing cheaters requires more staff time than making changes that will reduce their number.
    (1)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Allow me to quote what i said in another thread concerning sparks.

It didn't take long to deduce this simple solution:

I Proposed this -> { All equipment purchased with "Sparks" will receive a random stat augment applicable to the jobs that access user prerequisite. Example: Cloth armor sold from Sparks vendor with job listings for BLM/WHM/RDM/SCH/GEO/SMN could receive an augment of +INT or +MND based upon the level range bracket it's sold through.
    New NPCs created that will remove any augment for the cost of X 100 the item's minimum equipment level. One placed in each city where sparks vendors are currently located. }

A NPC discriminates against items that have augments and will not purchase them with an active augment.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by TullemoreAsuraFFXI View Post
    Allow me to quote what i said in another thread concerning sparks.

It didn't take long to deduce this simple solution:

I Proposed this -> { All equipment purchased with "Sparks" will receive a random stat augment applicable to the jobs that access user prerequisite. Example: Cloth armor sold from Sparks vendor with job listings for BLM/WHM/RDM/SCH/GEO/SMN could receive an augment of +INT or +MND based upon the level range bracket it's sold through.
    New NPCs created that will remove any augment for the cost of X 100 the item's minimum equipment level. One placed in each city where sparks vendors are currently located. }

A NPC discriminates against items that have augments and will not purchase them with an active augment.
    What does this have to do with the subject at hand? What problem is this meant to solve?
    (0)

Player
    A) the game has a very limited budget
    B) they want to spend most of that budget and time making new content
    c) tackling RMT is counter productive, controlling their actions is better (which is what they do)

Just play the game, only the next 3 years are guaranteed and funded.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 09-17-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    A) the game has a very limited budget
    B) they want to spend most of that budget and time making new content
    c) tackling RMT is counter productive, controlling their actions is better (which is what they do)

Just play the game, only the next 3 years are guaranteed and funded.
    Nothing is guaranteed.

Also, the GM/STF staff is (part of) the same staff that handles FFXIV.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Nothing is guaranteed.

Also, the GM/STF staff is (part of) the same staff that handles FFXIV.
    Which "controls" the RMT, people are asking for things to be programmed into the game to stop them.
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    It's not that they shouldn't, it's that they can't.

There is not a damn thing they can do without hurting everyone. You can get rid of them individually, which is what they do, but it takes 6 hours to get a brand new account to 99 and fully geared and generating money again.

They admitted a while ago sparks needed to be nerfed, but had no idea how to do it.

I was responding to this comment about sparks and how even Square-Enix believes sparks exploitation needs to be nerfed.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I see a direct correlation between the Easyfication Of Everything in the last ten years, and the current RMT / Gilbuying / Merc dominion of the mainstream game.

I liked the game best in 2004 to 2009. It was highly stratified, and when you got level 75 with capped merits you felt proud of your achievement.

During the climb to 75 / capped merits, the inherent slowness of progress, meant that you were spending a lot of time talking to strangers in XP Parties. I made so many new friends around the planet Earth, just from chatting while resting MP between pulls.

These were real friendships, based on respect, and forged in adversity. I knew people as "that awesome PLD from that XP Party" etc. and I recognised their gaming skills and I always looked forward to partying with them again.

Similarly, skilling up combat and magic skills took ages, and I formed friendships in Skill Up Parties.

Also, camping lottery-pop NMs, could take all night, and I would chat to the people I was with, and we would become friends.

The end result of all this is that by the time I was level 75 with capped merits, and decent gear from NMs, I had interacted with a lot of people and made a lot of seriously deep and profound friendships based on shared values and memories of our heroic battles in our journey to end-game.

As such, at 75, I simply did not need Mercs. I had friends. I had a shared history with my friends. I wanted to continue adventuring with my friends. I had no time for Mercs or RMT or anything, because I would rather do stuff with my friends.

Today, a person can solo to 99 easily with Trusts and XP rings and so-called "special XP events." That person can spend the sparks on Skill Up books, and never need to join a skill-up party. They can solo 99% of missions and Quests.

The end result is that they have no friends, no shared memories of their heroic adventures together in the level 1-75 battles, no shared memories of Skill Up parties or NM-camping parties or helping out with Missions and Quests.

They are alone. Now they see RMT and Merc shouts. What choice do they have? They have no solid Friend Base to fall back on. They start to see RMT and Mercs as their only friends. Game Over.

My point, which I have said many times, is that Easy Mode sucks, and Adversity Forges Bonds. The slower, more difficult, and more skill-based game of 2004-2009, produced some of the most highly skilled gamers on Earth, and stout friendships forged in countless heroic battles from level 1 onwards.

This is not really relevant to FFXI anymore, as they have made their bed, they have charted the post-2010 Easyfication direction, and it is clearly a one-way process. This post of mine is more like a warning to future game developers. People like hard games, people like games of skill. People like to form lifelong friendships, which are forged in adversity and adventures, and are marked by acts of stalwart heroism.

I will forget all the shiny mega weapons, and the yellow Jobmaster stars, and Ambuscade, in a matter of weeks.

I will never forget those heroic Vana'diel adventuring memories that I shared with strangers, strangers who later became my dearest friends in life.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I see a direct correlation between the Easyfication Of Everything in the last ten years, and the current RMT / Gilbuying / Merc dominion of the mainstream game.
    This has little to do with anything getting easier. RMTs still leveled jobs and farmed crap for gil even back then, it just took a little longer. I remember seeing armies of BLMs with gibberish names in the dunes and other places back in the day.
    (0)

Player
    Time is money, and ease of play makes it faster and more efficient to sell money. It's obviously directly related. The barrier to entry is much lower and significantly faster, therefor more appealing.
    (0)

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast