Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    You cast the storm spell that creates the conditions ideal for the spell you want to cast on the target. Casting Firestorm for instance, will benefit the fire element spells you cast (especially the helixes), so yes, that is what you would cast on a monster with a weakness to fire.

This is the same for natural weather effects. When heat waves are in effect, fire spells are more effective. Storm spells simply create that weather effect any time you want, for the person receiving the effect.
    Thanks so much for that, I feel more confident now I know 100%

Still working on a main. It's so hard to decide. I love dual wield, I love nuking things and I like to debuff and buff and quite enjoyed healing.

I've bit off more than I can chew with the options I have
    (0)

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    So I'm back! Haha. I had a question regarding SCH solo and sub jobs. As I said I'll probably mainly be soloing at first at 99 and have seen GEO/DNC is a thing as is RDM/NIN. I was curious to know what people sub SCH with when soloing? Is SCH/DNC a thing or SCH/NIN?

As I said I love blowing stuff up and quite enjoy dual wield too. I really love the idea of a "battlemage" and know that BLU fits that's roll well, I just can't seem to get into BLU and am wondering if any other mage fit that roll.

Thanks again. Everyone really has helped me greatly so far and I appreciate it so much
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I guess /dnc could theoretically be useful because you generate TP with occult accumen but SCH has low combat skills so it would be challenging to make melee subs work. Even SMN does better in this area IMO because its staff skill is tied for the second highest and is just enough to be able to hit stuff with some accuracy gear, and it can be made to work with a summon in sort of the way beast master used to before they made BST so annoying to play that a lot of people gave up. I'm not going to claim it's an optimal strategy but it does work and you can definitely beat stuff and have some fun with it, especially with a finished relic staff, which will make it a fair bit safer to be in melee range. If you really want to be a front line mage though, really there's no substitute for RDM.

I'm the first person to reccomend trying non meta builds in this game, since unlike most, FFXI doesn't put as many rules on what you are and aren't allowed to do (I play FFXIV and as much as I do enjoy it, the limits and simplifications they keep imposing on the battle system in the name of perfect class to class balance detracts from my enjoyment of it, even though from a game dev perspective, it is good game design). FFXI gives you a lot of freedom, and while that does mean a lot of class inequalities and other sorts of balance issues, for people who just want to have fun playing around with stuff, it gives you a lot more freedom to do so than most MMOs.
    (2)

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Ah awesome, thanks Alhanelem, you always give me great replies and have been so patient with me I definitely wouldn't mind trying SCH/DNC to see how it goes. I guess the ratings on weapons for different classes come into play hence while most mages have a b+ at most. I do like to play non-fotm and try unique playstyles myself.

I probably will go ahead with RDM. I do find it's job abilities a little bit lack luster personally as opposed to WHM who really has some game changing JA's at their disposal but, I like the toolkit. It's fun maintaining buffs , throwing out enfeebles and nuking and/or slicing the enemy up. I feel I definitely may look into WHM again.

Thanks mate, you're the best!
    (1)

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I would definitely echo Alhanelem's sentiments re: FFXI's freedom - no other MMO I've played comes even close to letting you pick something unorthodox and giving it a go. It doesn't always work with the highest difficulty stuff (or with certain people...), but at least you can give it a good bash, and have a great time while trying it.

RDM is a wonderful job and I've had an absolute blast with it. It takes a fair bit of work to get the most out of all of its "trades", but 100% worth it. It has the "battlemage" feel if you cultivate the melee side (you definitely should!) as well as the casting side. That said, keep trying everything, and something (or many things!) will jump out at you.

As Alhanelem said last page, the best choice of job is always the one you find most fun. No shame in swapping and changing until you find the one that has that buzz.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3