Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    A proper COR Is currently extremely expensive to deck out in BiS items. Just a heads up on that.
    (1)

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    If you're going the solo route for everything, or seems that it will be a mostly solo adventure for you, albeit from schedules, time, or lack of credible people to play with, then PUP is a fantastic job since you always have a "buddy" with you that can help you with everything, and then can STILL have up to 5 more (with Adventuring Fellow and/or trusts) for a "Solo party" of 7 characters. Makes for good easy fun.
    If not then BLU would be next good bet as the lovely lady previously mentioned. Buuuuuut i am a PUP fan, so i might be biased lol.
    (1)

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    I've never actually considered PUP. Is it a fun job to play? I got a tad overwhelmed with the different pieces and when to use what for whatever situation e.g. do I roll my pup as a caster or tank?

I'd definitely be keen to see what it's like.

Really enjoying RDM I gotta say. I was trying for metallic body on my BLU and after 2 hours and no luck I put my hands up and went back to RDM.

While I've never been a healer, WHM actually looks like I'd be busy busy busy which, I like a lot. My only question is how do I keep track of debuffs on each character? Via the chat log is possible but, what do i need to switch on/off not to miss anything. It scrolls super fast. I've already changed damage/healing to on screen only but, still lots to sift through.

Thanks again guys!
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    the greatest job to aim for is the one you enjoy playing the most. No, really. You can do almost anything in this game no matter which job you focus on. But leveling up is fast and easy now, so there's no reason to limit yourself to just one.
    (1)

Character
    Taruphic
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Hey, I restarted about 3 years ago, took a break for about 2 years and have been back 4months or so and am currently making an alt.

I noticed your blu spell troubles. You need to skill up your blu magic. I suggest, skip up to 60+ or more, get your AF hands. And do a regional tour type adventure of farming spells. I love my blu. It's so useful for everything. It shares gear with THF light armour, and BLM armour among others ofc. Those two are also great jobs for getting shit done.

In terms of being available for progression, you can offer GEO which borrows some BLM gear. Your BLU can then magical aoe too. Between aoe BLU dmg or GEO; you will be able to start filling in more gear, and round out jobs that overlap, into more and more jobs being available. The top tier endgame requires the furthest refinement, but much of the content that you do to achieve that can be done on your "fun" jobs til they become your fully refined options. Jack of all jobs, still needs a fleshed out master or two.
    (0)

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Quote Originally Posted by Taruphic View Post
    Hey, I restarted about 3 years ago, took a break for about 2 years and have been back 4months or so and am currently making an alt.

I noticed your blu spell troubles. You need to skill up your blu magic. I suggest, skip up to 60+ or more, get your AF hands. And do a regional tour type adventure of farming spells. I love my blu. It's so useful for everything. It shares gear with THF light armour, and BLM armour among others ofc. Those two are also great jobs for getting shit done.

In terms of being available for progression, you can offer GEO which borrows some BLM gear. Your BLU can then magical aoe too. Between aoe BLU dmg or GEO; you will be able to start filling in more gear, and round out jobs that overlap, into more and more jobs being available. The top tier endgame requires the furthest refinement, but much of the content that you do to achieve that can be done on your "fun" jobs til they become your fully refined options. Jack of all jobs, still needs a fleshed out master or two.
    Awesome, thanks Taruphic! I've been spamming blue spells as I level to level the skill and spells are becomming easier to learn

Does GEO have quite strong AOE? I noticed it did have a B+ in elemental but, had doubts about it being a support. I've really been digging RDM and actually RUN. Both are quite interactive and good fun.

I've been leveling a few different jobs to around 60 for a feel of it and to see the gear overlap which I appreciate u pointing out. I definitely need to get a couple more up to 99 and start aiming for better gear and get those job points rolling.

Thanks heaps for your reply!
    (0)

Character
    Divaud
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Awesome, thanks Taruphic! I've been spamming blue spells as I level to level the skill and spells are becomming easier to learn

Does GEO have quite strong AOE? I noticed it did have a B+ in elemental but, had doubts about it being a support. I've really been digging RDM and actually RUN. Both are quite interactive and good fun.

I've been leveling a few different jobs to around 60 for a feel of it and to see the gear overlap which I appreciate u pointing out. I definitely need to get a couple more up to 99 and start aiming for better gear and get those job points rolling.

Thanks heaps for your reply!
    GEO AoE spells are decent. They won't outdo single target spells, and compared to BLM -ga and -ja spells they probably fall behind (haven't tested, or care to)

But i'm quite happy with them. This relates to i119 experience with basic gear but, you can go into certain places and spam your AoE spells to kill certain mobs that are weak to magic, pretty easily for easy xp/CP.

Even on Apex mobs I like to use the AoE spells because they get a nice buff from the "Cardinal Chant" job trait, and also if you get good at timing, you can Magic Burst twice on a single skillchain.

Plus, you can buff yourself with Magic Attack + and debuff enemies with MAgic Def down, so that helps greatly with spell damage.

Just for reference, my MNK which is decently geared has peaked at about 21k weaponskill (Howling Fist)

My GEO, on a single light skillchain, is bursting twice for 14-16k each. And The gear for my GEO is mediocre at best.

Keep doing what you are doing though, try out the different jobs, I've been back a while now and I still haven't settled on a "main" job because they are all so unique.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Well one of the advantages of GEO's AoE (both bubble and ra nukes) is you have more control over the area effect placement, so it's a little easier to hit some things and not others. This can be useful in some circumstances. Additionally, something which was previously unheard of in FFXI, Geo- (not indi-) spells can target an area on the ground (But you still have to have a valid target somewhere in view to activate the ground target control) so it is possible to place them exactly where you want them.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-01-2019 at 04:09 AM.

Character
    Bilbo
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 66
    Thanks so much for the replies again guys, I do greatly appreciate it! I have leveled my GEO some more, it's not bad but, a few small mana issues leveling naturally.

I wanted to ask about SCH. I hear it's fun and a great soloer but, I am a little lost with helixes and storms. I have a few questions regarding them.

1. If a mob has a certain elemental weakness for ex. A mandragora being weak to fire, would casting firestorm benefit more than casting say hailstorm?

2. In regards to the bonus from the storm, how does this work? This is where I'm mostly lost. If i cast firestorm, are all fire spells boosted or water spells? Ex. I cast firestorm then pyrohelix then pump out a few fire spells or, cast firestorm then the water helix spell then water spells as fire is weak to water?

Lastly I usually place my storm on my tank. Is that the best target?

It's quite slow I'm finding as a DD but, I guess things change drastically at 99. I'm finding that with most jobs I level. I've now got quite a few 60+ being RUN, GEO, SCH, BLU, NIN, WHM, RDM. STILL struggling to find which one I like best
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    You cast the storm spell that creates the conditions ideal for the spell you want to cast on the target. Casting Firestorm for instance, will benefit the fire element spells you cast (especially the helixes), so yes, that is what you would cast on a monster with a weakness to fire.

This is the same for natural weather effects. When heat waves are in effect, fire spells are more effective. Storm spells simply create that weather effect any time you want, for the person receiving the effect.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast