Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Player Shozokui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    3
    Character
    Shozokui
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

    Let's talk about Paladin, Block Rates, and High Level Content

    Guys, it's time to face reality. The last time this was addressed was 2016 and everyone seemed to live on the page of "Ochain and Aegis are already OP". This isn't even close to the case any longer and PLD as faded out favor because let's face it - it's gimp now. It's a hindrance on any alliance.

    I've been running a wildly successful linkshell for the last year and a half. On lower level content, paladin was a great tank. It's why I picked it up, I liked it. It was a fun job. As higher level content comes out, I see how it just cannot keep up with Rune Fencer. RUN has too much utility and on top of it all takes very little damage when geared properly. It's time we spoke candidly about the most glaring problem with Paladin.

    Here's the deal. We're not talking about tanking item level 119 ~ 130 content anymore. We have 145 and 150 content in the game and right now, paladin takes a ton of damage compared to its RUN counterpart. Shield Block Rate decays at a rapid pace as Content Level of mobs increase.

    Let's look at the realities. Tanking in Dynamis [D] on Wave 3 mobs, this are you average block rates.
    • Srivasta: *~18% chance of blocking 55% of incoming damage
    • Aegis: Just don't, you're not blocking shit.
    • Ochain: *~60% chance of blocking 40% of incoming damage
    * - An approximation, but matches all data collected currently

    Of these three shields, Aegis is the only one that's considered "Passable". Before everyone jumps in say "Well, just use Priwen, it's ilev and has shield skill!". It's a Size 3 shield guys. It's really bad, don't tell me this stuff.

    Ok, so surely the "Shield Master" job will have a bunch of gear to increase their shield skill right? WRONG For whatever reason, you guys are intent on putting paladin gear in this game that makes no sense. Give us Shield Def Bonus, Give us Shield Skill, Give us anything to actually MITIGATE damage on high level content.

    Now, can anyone in the class tell me what happens when you're taking a ton of damage as a tank and your Damage Dealers are putting out heat? DING DING DING Your enmity decays at a pace faster than which you can recover it, therefore losing hate on stuff because your DD will be far outpacing you. "Well Shoz, don't yall have those fancy Chevallier's Pants +1??????" - Yes, yes we do. We also have way better gear options for that slot, so taking a huge stat hit just for 11% less enmity decay when getting bopped is silly.

    While we're doling out job updates. Paladin needs some love guys. If you provided literally just shield skill on Ochain, Aegis, Paladin would be super relevant again in high-end linkshells. 242 Shield Skill would turn Paladin from being a mediocre "only port in a storm" tank to being a true rival to Rune Fencer.

    Before we all jump in with the "But Shoz, Paladin IS relevant, we use one in our linkshell!!!!!", just chill man. I'm not saying you can't tank with paladin, I do it personally. I play both Rune Fencer and Paladin at the top level of all content in the game. Master Trials, Dynamis [D], all the new HTBFs, I have the experience on both jobs man. I'm saying if you tank anything high level for just a few minutes you realize that Paladin gets smashed. Burtgang is a 100% requirement because your shields are so weak that you can't afford to tank with anything else.
    (2)

  2. #2
    Player Isola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    420
    Character
    Cylinath
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Paladin is so far beyond just needing shield skill. It's in a hole that cannot be filled short of changing the entire game or deleting RUN.
    (0)

  3. #3
    Player Shozokui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    3
    Character
    Shozokui
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    It's not that bad. But it for sure needs to be able to mitigate damage. Every other aspect can be out-played with decent gear sets and will-power.
    (0)

  4. #4
    Player Isola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    420
    Character
    Cylinath
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You're right, it's not that bad, it's worse.
    (0)

  5. #5
    Player Gwydion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    365
    Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    As a long time Paladin, I had always hopeed SE would add the following improvements to Paladin:

    1.) Paladin needs Reprisal to have the same Recast as Foil.
    2.) Rampart needs to be as good as Valiance/One for All, or provide a significant buff to the rest of the party.
    3.) Paladin needs improved Damage capablities (Without WSD+10% armor, this is going to be a challenge, so I recommend improving atonement CONSIDERABLY).
    4.) Invincible, should really make you invincible. Period.
    5.) The Cover ability used to be a very important play-style in level 75-era, but these days, you cannot convince any DD player to patiently position themselves behind a Paladin.
    6.) Yes, Shields do need a significant upgrade. Instead of augments to shields, which have been done to REMA weapons, I would like to see ilvl Aegis and Ochain shields with a unique USABLE effect. Using an ochain on oneself, could bestow Paladin with the a new "Reflect" spell. This Reflect effect could be more potent if a PLD has a certain amount of Magic Evasion, when used, for example.

    Come on SE, help Paladins be great again!
    (0)

  6. #6
    Player TullemoreAsuraFFXI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    144
    Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    This is a Quote from the May FFXI Digest thread that i placed a large reply to. Below is what i said about PLD.

    Potential improvements to unadjusted jobs!

    Pld > Reduce reuse timers of Sentinel to 180 seconds, Rempart to 120 seconds, Palisade to 120 seconds. Create new divine magic Area of Effect spells: Banishra recast 30 seconds, Banishra II recast 30 seconds, Banishra III recast 45 seconds, Holyra recast 45 seconds, Holyra II recast 60 seconds, Flashra recast 45 seconds, Reposera base duration 15 seconds recast 60 seconds all of which would have +additional enmity properties to them. Reduce reuse timer of Shield Bash to base 60 seconds. Reduce recast timer of Flash to base 30 seconds. Reduce recast timer of Reprisal to base 120 seconds + increase duration to base 90 seconds. Create new spell Crusade II: Duration 900 seconds, Cost 50 MP, Recast 30 seconds.

    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

    And honestly let's be realistic and additionally stop forcing players to choke on cookie-cutter equipment mandatory requirements concerning item selection. It's total garbage essential components of a party or alliance have a singular uniform item requirement to be considered "competent". Here's two intelligently logical itemization fixes to change this "tank preference" issue.

    #1: on ALL PLD JSE gloves place +242 shield skill on +1/+2 and +250 shield skill on +3 reforge; on Sulevia's Gauntlets +1/+2 place +242 shield skill; Place +242 shield skill on https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Volte_Moufles Volte Moufles.

    #2: develop and add Tokko Ajja Eletta Kaja and a Final upgraded shield from Ambuscade. The final upgraded Ambuscade shield should be viably competitive with Ochain.
    (0)
    Last edited by TullemoreAsuraFFXI; 10-05-2019 at 01:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Player TullemoreAsuraFFXI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    144
    Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Another quote from the May FFXI digest topic:

    I chose -ra spell class for the suggested pld aoe divine spells because it would be a 10' {10 yalm} area from the casting character same as the geomancer specific -ra spell class elemental magics.
    (0)

  8. #8
    Player Zeolite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4
    Character
    Triblitz
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I don't see why they can't give Paladins a job trait that would "increase chance to block" since Rune Fencers have Inquartata, a increase parry chance. I was thinking like every 20 levels block rate bonus is 5% so like 20/40/60/80/99 is 5%/10%/15%/20%/25%. Make this job trait add to shield's block rate and surpass each shield sizes block cap. I feel this would boost the relic, empyrean, and aoenic shields to the proper content levels without making major changes to the gear itself. I also feel we should have another job trait that slows our enmity decay rate.
    (0)

  9. #9
    Player TullemoreAsuraFFXI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    144
    Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Adjust the shield mastery job trait by adding your suggested block rate % bonus effect tiers. No need to create a newly named trait and that could be implemented simply via program coding.
    (0)

  10. #10
    Player Isola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    420
    Character
    Cylinath
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Give them 100% blockrate. They deserve it and it changes absolutely nothing.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast