Threaded View

Character
    Dsherman
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Opening Movie does not play correctly

There is a configuration setting in FFXIConfig to play the Opening Movie. I have usually had this setting turned off. For most people, always playing that Opening Movie is a big waste of time, but it is still something that should be able to be played for people playing for the first time.

However, when that setting is turned on, and the Opening Movie is allowed to be played, there is a problem. The FFXI client does not re-establish the connection made by the Playonline Viewer until the box to accept the "Rules of Conduct" has been accepted. And that box does not appear until AFTER the entire movie has been played. In the time that it takes for the movie to run, the connection times out. Which means that you must go back to the Playonline Viewer and login again! And of course, when the PLAY button is done after that login, the movie starts over again from the beginning! If the user does not press keys to skip the play of the movie, they will once again time out and the whole thing starts over yet again.

Also, the aspect ratio of the movie while it is playing is incorrect. It does seem to have a 16:9 aspect ratio, but its appearance on screen is like it is playing a 4:3 aspect ratio. If the screen is actually a 16:9 aspect ratio, the images are stretched. Of course, the original version of this movie was played in a 4:3 environment (on the PS2), so it may just have never been adjusted for more recently available aspect ratios.

I had originally included a complaint about the movie being interrupted when the time-out occurred. But I have discovered that it is not the connection time-out that is doing it, but rather the time-out of my game pad. See the reply below for more detail.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dsherman; 05-13-2019 at 12:32 PM.