Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

So Who Thought Making Escutcheon Use New Characters' Quest Items Was A Good Idea?

So I just left Palborough after a terrible time getting the 4 Fetich for Bastok 1-3 because there was a 99 THF in there slaughtering every damned Quadav because he wanted Fetches for Spirit Sphere Synths .. at least, I assume that's what he was doing, I asked him but he ignored me, but he has a partner who was synthing in a corner clearly and by logging his synth results it was clear he was getting the drops the first one was getting which is was using to synth spheres.

I see from reading about this synth that it also uses the level 50 limit break drops .. this means new characters will have an even more torrid time trying to progress since I presume they'll be competing with level 99 for rare mob spawns with even more rare drops .. something it seems is confirmed using Search and seeing 99 THF in nearly all places where these items drop.

SE, why? Why re-use core quest items needed by leveling characters for end-game synths? It's ridiculous.

[edit]

LOL, having gone to the Dunes to level up I see 5 THF 99s, I presume I'm having to compete with them for something else .. I guess the subjob drops.
    (4)
    Last edited by Kerin; 04-11-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Player
    More people need to voice their outrage about this. This thing that they did was and still is unacceptable.
    (2)

Player
    Indeed .. I've now been Searching everywhere and Vana'diel is now full of 99 THFs is the original zones.

It was bad enough when they added the Aht Urghan unlock that made use of low level key items, but that was a one-time need for any character, this is simply never-ending.
    (1)
    Last edited by Kerin; 04-11-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    They didn't respond, because they 'aren't there'. The same characters have been running around for at least 10 months now, in the same circles, doing the same thing. All in my opinion run by one player that most people probably know, because they, like the 'players' running in circles haven't left the zone for about a year.
    (2)

Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    They didn't respond, because they 'aren't there'. The same characters have been running around for at least 10 months now, in the same circles, doing the same thing. All in my opinion run by one player that most people probably know, because they, like the 'players' running in circles haven't left the zone for about a year.
    Hmm, really? Like you and everyone else I've seen bots in FFXI since the day I began playing but the THF in this two-character party wasn't obviously following a predefined path .. but I guess SE gave up on bot-hunting a long time ago so the bot makers maybe have perfected their art .. I also see many 6-character parties (6 Galka, with no gear) with 'Sky Breaker' title at the moment on Siren, I guess their titles will change in a day or so when they hit the next LB.

Sad, I have begun a new character with the intent of playing the game from start to finish without the long inter-mission gaps caused by the level gating of the expansions, but if leveling is now going to be so horrible I may just call it a day, cancel my two accounts from 2005 and move on to something else.

This design choice it utterly fatuous, bots or no bots.
    (1)

Character
    Divaud
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Devil's advocate: they want these old zones/drops getting used so the only way to make them relevant is to use the drops for more current content.

Now that doesn't resolve the issue nor do I think it's the correct approach, but i could see the thinking of: Use the old content, give new players going through those zones a chance to get/sell useful things to high level players.

In theory sure sounds great. In practice? We get this exact situation.

Again, not saying I like it; just that i can see what they were trying to accomplish.
    (3)

Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50
    I agree Divaud, that thought occurred to me as well given that there won't be many new characters .. well, maybe there will be if the swarms of RMT I'm seeing as I noted earlier are anything to go by .. so the 'old world' as it were is largely empty, but there are vast numbers of other mobs whose drops aren't critical to character progression (by which I mean quests/events that have to be completed in order to simply level up or progress the story).

I checked throughout today and the same pair are still there, so I presume they are bots but obviously they're farm from an exception judging by other Search results I got.

Of course, the real problem is SE's utterly bloated synthing system that demands a myriad of materials and clearly SE wanted to restrict the rate at which these synths are done so the re-used drops that were already absurdly low to achieve that.

While the Fetches aren't of course too bad I noticed some synths require the level 50 LB drops and some, like the Ancient Papyrus have always been notoriously scarce throughout XI's existence which makes using those for these synths even more of a slap in the face to progression characters than the Fetchies; I usually hate the 'slap in the face' meme but in this case I think it actually is a valid way to describe this state of affairs.
    (1)
    Last edited by Kraggy; 04-12-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Player
    The thought was to get people to go back to zones that don't get used anymore. Great idea. HORRIBLE execution. They knew exactly what would happen.

The spheres needed to be exclusive.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    The thought was to get people to go back to zones that don't get used anymore. Great idea. HORRIBLE execution. They knew exactly what would happen.

The spheres needed to be exclusive.
    I think the original idea was probably more about giving a use to otherwise mostly-useless items. Which does make good design sense and fits their love of giving new uses to old things. The problem is that since there isn't any form of restriction on the spheres that can be made from the low level items, and since the lower level stuff has a higher drop rate but same success rate (or even higher success rate) as harder to get items, the devs failed to include any reason for farming anything else besides the low level stuff.

I say they need to floor the success rate on items from 1-60 content, increase (double current rates maybe?) the success rate for 61-99 items, and greatly increase both the drop rates and the success rates for the elemental cards available in SoA Gates zones.

This would de-incentivize farming/botting in zones like Palborough Mines and Crawler's Nest, and make it much more risky to attempt to automate the process since the target mobs would have a decent chance of killing undergeared unmanned characters.

Raising the drop+success rates on the cards would incentivize putting in the effort to actually go out to farm them, since right now, they are lower drop rates AND equal/lower success rates compared to junk like fetich parts or limit break items.

I say this as someone who has been slowly grinding away on my own Escutcheon for quite some time. I am more than willing to accept a higher combat challenge in exchange for cards becoming the indisputable best desynth targets (that they should have been from the start given the reason they were added to the game in the first place,) and low lvl things becoming horrible options.
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    And if they make all the spheres /ex,
    then the RMT bots and other bots farming the synth mats
    to make them for gil sales would be gone (or noticeably less of them);
    forcing them to use them or lose them and not profit on them.
    ... hopefully..... but since this is such a logically easy idea to do,
    and only takes changing the items to /ex and removing them from Auction House,
    then SE won't do it.
    ... especially since this idea doesn't come from the JPN side of the forums.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast