Player

An NPC that sells all weapons/armor/abjurations

Hello,

With merc'ing almost constant on Asura and a lot of people paying them gil, zoning, lotting on the item, and returning to town. Let's be done with it and have an NPC that sells all gear, from all NM's. If people are willing to buy all their gear without even fighting a monster, then this offers no difference whatsoever.

It also ensures that the gil doesn't end up in 'the wrong hands'.
    (2)

Player
    I approve. it's the perfect solution to what the game has become.
    (1)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by orionis View Post
    Hello,

With merc'ing almost constant on Asura and a lot of people paying them gil, zoning, lotting on the item, and returning to town. Let's be done with it and have an NPC that sells all gear, from all NM's. If people are willing to buy all their gear without even fighting a monster, then this offers no difference whatsoever.

It also ensures that the gil doesn't end up in 'the wrong hands'.

Not everybody is "willing to buy all their gear without even fighting a monster." Many people have spent years building their RME and other luxury gear, by following the rules and playing the game without cheating.

One of my Japanese friends started building his Mythic in 2007, and did not finish that Mythic until 2012. He spent five years of his life building one weapon, playing FFXI at night after a long day working hard at his office job.

Many people, including myself, have spent fifteen years playing FFXI by the rules, never buying Gil or using any other cheats. We have worked hard to obtain our RME and other luxury gear, by playing the game correctly.

If you suddenly have a shop that sells everything in FFXI for Gil, two things are going to happen.

1) Most of the honest hard-working REAL players who have worked hard to obtain their RME and other luxury items the correct way for years, are going to feel cheated, and they are going to quit FFXI and take their subs with them, and FFXI will end.

2) Most of the people buying the RME and other luxury items from the Gil Shop, those people are by definition Too Lazy to farm those items themselves, which means they are also Too Lazy to farm the Gil themselves, which means they are buying Gil for $$$ RMT. This means that the only real winners of you Gil Shop Idea are the RMT Botters who sell Gil for $$$.

One of the reasons why FFXI has survived for sixteen years is because it offers stratified progression, where you are encouraged to earn your gear by actually working for it. This was a very popular formula for a lot of players, who enjoyed the sense of accomplishment. My friend who spent five years building his Mythic, was so happy on the day he completed it. It was an achievement. He felt happy, and proud of his accomplishment.
    (1)

Player
    In case you hadn't noticed, those things already happened. I already feel extremely cheated that ROV made "special weapons" a cake walk. that ambuscade made them even easier. There is absolutely no difference between what exists now, and simply buying it from an NPC. It would just be mildly faster.

XI hasn't survived 16 years, its been dead. Officially. There's just no reason to turn the servers off.

The grind is excessive. The drop rates are terrible. The time sink is embarrassing.
    (0)
    Last edited by Isola; 02-27-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    Many people, including myself, have spent fifteen years playing FFXI by the rules, never buying Gil or using any other cheats. We have worked hard to obtain our RME and other luxury gear, by playing the game correctly.
    I salute you for that, but I think (and I'm going by Asura) that you are in the lower percentage of the population who actually do not cheat now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    1) Most of the honest hard-working REAL players who have worked hard to obtain their RME and other luxury items the correct way for years, are going to feel cheated, and they are going to quit FFXI and take their subs with them, and FFXI will end.
    Asura is 60% Merc /yells. if anyone wants something, they pay a merc, head back to town... That seems to be the way the game has gone now, and is the new "norm". Surely this already makes people feel cheated.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    I salute you for that, but I think (and I'm going by Asura) that you are in the lower percentage of the population who actually do not cheat now.

Asura is 60% Merc /yells. if anyone wants something, they pay a merc, head back to town... That seems to be the way the game has gone now, and is the new "norm". Surely this already makes people feel cheated.

I don't think you need to salute me. I am just a normal Gamer.

Ever since the invention of Ancient Games, such as Chess, there has always been an understanding among players. Sportsmanship. To be sporting. A game has rules, and the challenge is to win the game by playing within the rules of the game.

This is why Chess players need to have brains and skills, to think of strategies. The whole fun of Chess, and all games, is overcoming the challenge of the game and winning by simply being the best player.

I do play Chess, and many other board games, and I played my first computer game in 1981. I have been a Gamer for a long time. And the only reason I play games is because I want to learn the system, learn the game rules, hopefully master the system, and win the game by playing skilfully.

Cheating at games is no fun and offers no real rewards. And the same applies to FFXI.

The best memories I've had in FFXI are when I camped a NM for a year, dying and home-pointing a lot, and then one day the NM finally dropped my item. I was so happy. It felt like flying. I had accepted the game challenge and I had won, by perseverance and skill.

Those victorious achievement memories are priceless, and they are the only reason why games were invented in the first place.

FFXI is my favourite game in the world, because it is so vast and intricate, and emotionally engaging, and it allows a Gamer to really use their hand-speed gaming skills, and their wits, to overcome challenges.

It makes me feel sad that so many people nowadays are in such a hurry to get stuff without earning that stuff, they are missing out the Best Fun in the game.

Also there is a Lore Problem with selling RME and exotic armours etc. from Gil Shops. Those weapons and armours are made from legendary God drops etc. and are uniquely fashioned to fit a specific hero only. They are not one-size-fits-all. They are granted to a hero because that hero accepted challenges and overcame those challenges.
    (1)