Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    This needs to stop. Here and everywhere else.
    (0)

Character
    Vista
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It has been discussed before, and is one of the failings of the original dev team. IIRC the current producer commented on this when the classic server idea was originally shot down as a matter of practicality. You're right, most dev teams keep an archive of their work as they progress. But apparently SE did not keep everything (Not nothing, but not everything).
    Ah okay, I see then. That is quite unfortunate. I wonder how much effort it would take SE to try and reconstruct relatively authentic older versions in the newest client, like reverting back job balancing, stats, locking out new features and zones, and other such changes.
    (0)

Character
    Josiahs
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 75

Level 75 Server! No Thank you!

Level 75 Server! No thank you!
    (1)

Character
    Torrence
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Splitting the playerbase is almost always a bad idea. I would rather see a 'self-level-sync' where we can cap ourselves at 75 and play the 75 era content but also participate in the current content.

There is just no way to travel back in time to the days where people were willing to wait days (more likely to be weeks to months now) for parties to accomplish basic things like leveling up.
    (0)

Player
    The player base is already split, look up Final Fantasy XI on Twitch and browse through all the channels. Besides, do you know any players who play the current version of FFXI that would want to play on a legacy server?

And if you think people aren't willing to go back to those days... again, look up FFXI on Twitch.
    (1)

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Stop asking.

Dev team said no; end of story.

... because they can't, don't have old code builds & resources and back builds, and the time involved for small dev team is not worth it.

So either make a character on an account, level cap it to 75, enjoy your limited lvlcap character as if you are still on a legacy server.
    (0)

Player
    Can you name any MMO that uses two separate client/server code for legacy and current version servers?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Restricting one's own level would be a much more realistically implementable idea should they choose to consider it. You can enjoy 75 content at 75, and it would also be great for other things like hunting for blue spells and stuff. This is something I would actually advocate for and would go a long way to letting everyone enjoy the game exactly how they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFFXI View Post
    The player base is already split, look up Final Fantasy XI on Twitch and browse through all the channels. Besides, do you know any players who play the current version of FFXI that would want to play on a legacy server?

And if you think people aren't willing to go back to those days... again, look up FFXI on Twitch.
    It really won't be the same without th e old community in place to back it up. THere's really just no way to restore the days of yore other than to invent a time machine and go back to them. and even THEN you'd have to be Obliviated so it would be a new experience all over again. It's not the same when you've done it before. I understand some people like the earlier game mechanics etc. but technically you can still have them without a special server.

Can you name any MMO that uses two separate client/server code for legacy and current version servers?
    If you actually use an older version, every single game that does so, because those systems get updated over time as well.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-10-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Player
    It IS the same. How many legacy servers have you played on? And how can you say the community isn't there? Why are you so vocal about something you've never even experienced before?

Every legacy server I've played on made me feel the same way the game made me feel back then. And the communities are the same as well. How can you say they aren't when you've never played on a legacy server before?

How can you act like "it's not the same" when you haven't tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    If you actually use an older version, every single game that does so, because those systems get updated over time as well.
    English?
    (0)
    Last edited by OmegaFFXI; 12-10-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    learn yourself some words. That doesn't need any explanation. Read your post which I referenced and put two and two together.

It IS the same
    I've played classic servers in other MMOs, and i've gone back and done old content under old conditions in this game many times. It doesn't feel the same when you've done it before and you don't have all the friends you had before doing it with you. The community is a big part of what made this game so fun and without that it simply is not the same. It is just a fact of life, there is something different about the first time you experience something that can not be replicated when you do it again. The 40th time I did dynamis was not quite as fun as the first. The 50th KCNM I did was not quite as fun as the first. It was still fun, yes, but when you arleady know how to do something, you can't unlearn how to do it, and it's that feeling of discovery that makes the first few times you do something better than after that. That is of course one of the things that helped keep FFXI fresh for so long, the game hid a lot from you so you discovered new things all the time. But again, what was new can not be new again.

The rose tinted glasses wear off very quickly. If that wasn't true, you could make an MMO and never release a single patch or update and keep the majority of your playerbase with zero effort. The evolution of an MMO over time is exactly how they keep so many players for so long.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast