Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Should rename the game to Merc fantasy online.

It feels like the merc community boom has strangled whatever was left of the people who actually tried to help others/make pugs.

Kinda disgusting seeing people selling anything and everything. Why help any new player when you can force them to farm a bajillion beehive chips to pay for that merit BCNM item they want...

In the few pugs I've made recently, I've gotten quite a few tells from people offering their "services" for sums of gil.

It's out of hand, and I honestly don't know how to fix it. I get why it happened, there really isn't a lot of soloability in end game content. The people mercing either have 2-5 boxing or they are one of the many merc LS that popped up. I don't see any way to attack it other than attacking multi boxers via ip tracking.
    (2)

Player
    Got to agree, but it's impossible to fix, so... There is no possible way to stop or lessen mercs... Except make NPCs just sell the gear. and you all don't seem to like that answer, but it's actually quite perfect.

I honestly don't care if NPCs started selling every single r/e drop in the game. It's not like new players have a clue how to play regardless of what they wear so why bother. At least it would get rid of 95% of all the yells. That's a massive bonus. The other 5% just need to be banned for things that aren't game related.... but thats another problem alltogether.
    (2)
    Last edited by Isola; 11-28-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Player
    There is nothing wrong with multiboxing in and of itself. Plenty of single account players sell their services as mercenaries too. The issue is player attitude and the only solutions are not contributing to it by paying them yourself and making an effort to play by the rules you wish the game was played by.

I run a linkshell (FaceDesk) specifically for helping new/returnee players get up to speed and ready for endgame. I don't charge anyone for help, my standard welcome gift is a EZ T1 clear (done by me dboxing bst+blm,) everyone is allowed and encouraged to attend events regardless of job they want to bring (as long as we have at least 1x whm, 1x tank and offhealers for the other parties, it works. It works surprisingly well in fact.) If you don't like the merc mentality, play like an altruist. It's actually quite satisfying.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Voicememo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    I try to help what I can, but my time is limited. I merc some, because that's what my members want, it keeps them playing. But on my own time I help for free when I can. But that is the problem, WHEN I'm free, if you want help from me, usually need to schedule in advance. People that help are out there, but our time is limited, less you want to pay, do the things we need to get done irl, so we are on the game more.

The game is what you make of it. Form a linkshell, party up with those like minded and about the same level you are. The main issue is too many want to rush to end game too quickly. The game is over 10 years old, so over 10 years worth of content. Those of us who have never quit/taken breaks are at the top of the game because we've kept up with the game.

Those that have taken breaks or are starting anew are trying to literally do YEARS of content is very short time.

If you take your time and play the game as it was released, you will get strong, it just takes time, gil, luck, or a combo of the 3.
    (0)
    Last edited by VoiceMemo; 11-28-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookies75 View Post
    It feels like the merc community boom has strangled whatever was left of the people who actually tried to help others/make pugs.

Kinda disgusting seeing people selling anything and everything. Why help any new player when you can force them to farm a bajillion beehive chips to pay for that merit BCNM item they want...

In the few pugs I've made recently, I've gotten quite a few tells from people offering their "services" for sums of gil.

It's out of hand, and I honestly don't know how to fix it. I get why it happened, there really isn't a lot of soloability in end game content. The people mercing either have 2-5 boxing or they are one of the many merc LS that popped up. I don't see any way to attack it other than attacking multi boxers via ip tracking.
    I completely agree. Soon we wont' have game to play, and its drawing me closer to cancelling my sub.

I went afk for a little while the other day and came back with my entire screen filled with people selling content. Content whereby, in the old days, people would get together (which is the fundimental point of the game in the first place).
    I'm talking about even content like Tenzen and other HTB's.

We are going to have a situation where everyone is just standing around town, thinking "Hmm, I need said item, not setting up a group, I'll contact a merc". Eliminating the chance for a group to be formed.

Everybody is just going to be standing around in town looking pretty, and thats about it.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    There is nothing wrong with multiboxing in and of itself.
    Other than the fact they are using third party software. I doubt they are sitting inbetween a circle of 6 PC's.
    (0)

Character
    Xiozan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I don't see a problem with it myself; as far as I can tell its not actively in violation of the ToS to merc, due to obvious reasons---in addition, its not forcing anyone to participate in a merc related activity...so what's the harm I say?

The reality is that this wouldn't be a problem if folks didn't actually use their services; but they do, as such its a popular alternative to trying find other means to an ends if gil can be the ready answer.
    (0)

{DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations.

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    People are different now, they don't want to grind for rewards, they want instant gratification.

I remember it took the best part of year to get my homam legs, what a feeling it was, felt like a real achievement, what sense of achievement do people get buying all the gear?
    (0)

Player
    Spending zero days instead of 365 days is quite a large achievement if you ask me. lol.

Honestly what's the difference between paying $120 up front or paying $12 a month for 10 months waiting for a drop.
    (0)
    Last edited by Isola; 11-29-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Character
    Yakana
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Carries are pretty much chaotic in most MMO's sadly. It's a general mindset that will only vanish if people stop encouraging it.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast