Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Thebombdotcom
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Come on now I'm not a basic b@&%h i know about the inactivity setting.. its not that, that gets disabled everytime I get the game setup on any new pc. Its been disabled since I bought this pc and loaded FFXI onto it a year ago. Who d@#& do I need to s@*#$ to get a professional up on these forums
    (0)

Character
    Thebombdotcom
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Really apologize about being snarky but this is going on almost 6 months that I have been paying for FFXI and I haven't been able to do anything because of these errors. This pretty serious issue for me because I have been playing ffxi off and on since it came out on Playstation when they released it with HDD. So yes the auto disconnect/inactivity button is checked, always.
    Recently while playing I've tried to finish Salvage runs solo within the 30 minutes I have before the error message starts to disconnect me but can never manage to unless I forgo a big chunk of alexandrite farming. As for Omen I imagine that with only 30minutes I couldnt be certain it'd be worth it cause even if I had logged in just before a group enters I wouldnt be sure I'd get all the cards to make it having been worth it.
    Is this not happening to anyone else? Did they fix it for the previous posters? Whatever became of those DDoS attacks did they resolve that issue? I'm looking into tethering my phone's internet today..have to go see Verizon about getting a USB cord, that will cost me 60 more dollars, to make that happen. Otherwise I will just go and test and see if its the internet by going over to my brothers house and using his internet for a hour.
    Even if it is the internet here at my new place what would I tell my internet provider about this problem that I haven't already told them the two other times they were here
    (0)
    Last edited by Thebombdotcom; 11-13-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Character
    Thebombdotcom
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Ok so I logged in to make sure that the auto disconnect/inactivity button was "OFF" it was but just to be sure it wasn't something faulty with that I set it to 60 mins disconnect. I still got my error at 32min mark. So pretty sure its not that.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebombdotcom View Post
    Ok so I logged in to make sure that the auto disconnect/inactivity button was "OFF" it was but just to be sure it wasn't something faulty with that I set it to 60 mins disconnect. I still got my error at 32min mark. So pretty sure its not that.
    Assuming its not against SE's policies. Have you tried logging in via a VPN? and seeing how you get along with that? You can get free editions like Windscribe (or you can opt for paid membership). FFXI doesn't use much bandwidth as far as I'm aware so I doubt you'll even go near the limits with just the game.
    (0)

Player
    This may be a long shot, but can you verify in your OS Advanced Power Settings that your network card is not set to power down after 30min of inactivity?

To get there in Win10:
    Control Panel > Power Options > pick a power plan > Change plan settings
    (on Edit Plan Settings screen) click "Change advanced power settings"
    (on Power Options screen) expand the entry for "Wireless Adapter Settings" > "Power Saving Mode" > change all entries to "Maximum Performance"

Should look similar to this:

If the Power Saving Mode is set to anything but Maximum Performance, then the network card will power itself down after a certain amount of time "idle" in an effort to save electricity, and oddly enough, FFXI traffic may not qualify as "active" enough for it to stay at full power.

Let me know if this helps.

If you are on a laptop, there will be two entries for plugged in or not. I recommend changing both of them.
    If a desktop, then should be only one, but I work tech support and have run into desktops that think they are tablets and have both, so it's worth double checking either way.

If you want to test if this might be the case without changing systems settings first, try to login all the way into the game for ~20min, then /logout and log back in. If you don't DC after ~10min, and then DO DC closer to 30min after the 2nd login, then it is extremely likely to be related to your power settings for your network card.
    ============
    Another possibility: There's been a lot of major network issues/failures in the past month or so, including Mediacom specifically: https://whnt.com/2018/11/12/internet...north-alabama/.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 11-14-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Thebombdotcom
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    This may be a long shot, but can you verify in your OS Advanced Power Settings that your network card is not set to power down after 30min of inactivity?

To get there in Win10:
    Control Panel > Power Options > pick a power plan > Change plan settings
    (on Edit Plan Settings screen) click "Change advanced power settings"
    (on Power Options screen) expand the entry for "Wireless Adapter Settings" > "Power Saving Mode" > change all entries to "Maximum Performance"

Should look similar to this:

If the Power Saving Mode is set to anything but Maximum Performance, then the network card will power itself down after a certain amount of time "idle" in an effort to save electricity, and oddly enough, FFXI traffic may not qualify as "active" enough for it to stay at full power.

Let me know if this helps.

If you are on a laptop, there will be two entries for plugged in or not. I recommend changing both of them.
    If a desktop, then should be only one, but I work tech support and have run into desktops that think they are tablets and have both, so it's worth double checking either way.

If you want to test if this might be the case without changing systems settings first, try to login all the way into the game for ~20min, then /logout and log back in. If you don't DC after ~10min, and then DO DC closer to 30min after the 2nd login, then it is extremely likely to be related to your power settings for your network card.
    ============
    Another possibility: There's been a lot of major network issues/failures in the past month or so, including Mediacom specifically: https://whnt.com/2018/11/12/internet...north-alabama/.
    I tried changing my power setttings all to Maximum Performance and also logged in waited 20 minutes then logged completely off the server and onto POL, then logged right back in and I disconnected in within 10 minutes. So what does that tell you? **Also** headed over to my brother's, who has Comcast, to test it on his internet later today.
    (0)
    Last edited by Thebombdotcom; 11-18-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Player
    I tried changing my power setttings all to Maximum Performance and also logged in waited 20 minutes then logged completely off the server and onto POL, then logged right back in and I disconnected in within 10 minutes. So what does that tell you? **Also** headed over to my brother's, who has Comcast, to test it on his internet later today.
    Given the preciseness of 30min intervals, now that we've ruled out power settings as a cause, I'm leaning towards it being a DCHP issue. Please try the following, when you are on your home network:

1. Hit Windows key > type: cmd
    2. Right-click "Command Prompt" in the search results and select "Run as Administrator"
    3. In the command prompt screen, type: ipconfig /all

You should be seeing something similar to this below. (I censored out my own info, but you should get the picture.)

The only parts we care about right now are the dates/times listed for "Lease Optained" and "Lease Expires". I suspect that when you check, they will be set for exactly 30min apart. If this is true, then unless you are comfortable with the idea of mucking about in your router's firmware, you will probably need to contact your ISP and have them increase the lease duration to at least 24hrs. Please let me know the results of your tests. ^^

(In my case, I have it set to the maximum that my router will allow, which is over 3 months, but the maximum number of devices on my network is always the same 3 devices. If you have tons of devices connecting to your network, don't set it anywhere near this high.)
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 11-18-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Thebombdotcom
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Just to update! Its the day before Thanksgiving here in the US I am going to attempt the above mentioned method in hopes that is a potential resolve.
    I wanted to say that the day I was going to take my desktop over to my brother's place to test the game on his internet connection I had already made an appointment with Mediacom to come over to turn on all of our premium channels, so while they were here they went about trying to assist with this problem again. This time we got a tech who also in his spare time plays FF14 as well as Elder Scrolls Online so I thought for sure he would understand my frustration and perhaps have some hidden knowledge that the others before him hadn't discovered.
    Sadly he was here for 7 hours that day, trying to troubleshoot. I let him encounter the problem himself by logging into the game and witnessing it himself every 30 minutes of those 7 hours so he could by trial and error try and figure out if it was something physically here at the house. He tried multiple things from changing out splitters in the attic to making sure the cables were all the new cables they normally require for well functioning signals. He examined the outside multiple times, he had the call center for Mediacom recallibrate our modem from their end. I think he stayed here well after nightfall when he had arrived sometime around 1pm. The only thing he thinks it could be if nothing else would be either the speed of the internet (we have the 200 mbs deal which for anyone else would be enough for gaming/streaming) or it could be our modem - which although the modem was brand new upon moving in out here could possibly be faulty in some way. He had me try to plug my current ethernet cord into the modem using all the different ports, once that didn't work he gave me a totally brand new ethernet cord that I've likewise plugged into all the ports. Which really only leaves me with 2 options remaining at this point which is to replace completely this brand new modem or upgrade to the 500 mbs deal. He says that usually the 200 mbps would work for gaming and streaming but perhaps because we live in a relatively secluded location, 20 minutes from a big city out in the woods, that perhaps for whatever reason we don't have enough speed to keep a good and consistent connection. We're going to buy a modem he specifically suggested in hopes that will be a resolution on black friday. I am going to try the above just now to see if that does anything. Otherwise I just want to let anyone happening upon this post in the future know that we have thoroughly gone through all other possible identifying possibilities here at the house and beyond the two avenues left to us by the last tech we are really running out of options. I just want to thank everyone who has been involved and tried to help thus far, I wish it didn't have to be this difficult to figure out what the problem here is but very soon there will be little doubt that it has nothing to do with my internet provider. By the way Happy Thanksgiving/Holiday everyone!
    (0)
    Last edited by Thebombdotcom; 11-22-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Character
    Thebombdotcom
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Given the preciseness of 30min intervals, now that we've ruled out power settings as a cause, I'm leaning towards it being a DCHP issue. Please try the following, when you are on your home network:

1. Hit Windows key > type: cmd
    2. Right-click "Command Prompt" in the search results and select "Run as Administrator"
    3. In the command prompt screen, type: ipconfig /all

You should be seeing something similar to this below. (I censored out my own info, but you should get the picture.)

The only parts we care about right now are the dates/times listed for "Lease Optained" and "Lease Expires". I suspect that when you check, they will be set for exactly 30min apart. If this is true, then unless you are comfortable with the idea of mucking about in your router's firmware, you will probably need to contact your ISP and have them increase the lease duration to at least 24hrs. Please let me know the results of your tests. ^^

(In my case, I have it set to the maximum that my router will allow, which is over 3 months, but the maximum number of devices on my network is always the same 3 devices. If you have tons of devices connecting to your network, don't set it anywhere near this high.)
    So I tried the ipconfig/all command.. my results were: Lease Obtained..... Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:40:40pm
    Lease Expires...... Monday, November 26, 2018 11:23:38pm
    (0)

Player
    So I tried the ipconfig/all command.. my results were: Lease Obtained..... Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:40:40pm
    Lease Expires...... Monday, November 26, 2018 11:23:38pm
    XD Well, that would match up with the reset done by your very dedicated tech. I was hoping to get the original settings, but if you are still having the problem with the new settings, then that would rule out DCHP settings at least.

The only thing that I can think of at this point is a very dusty memory of having to do "something" when I first started playing this game way back at PS2 launch because I had a similar problem (but was on *gasp* dial-up back then.) It had something to do with the type of connections the game makes and the fact that their server was in Japan. Kinda sorta think it was needing a static IP and think my ISP might've done something to my account when I called them... mighta been a port issue too? But this was a PS2 on dial-up before cable internet existed...

Unfortunately, my brain is a jerk and is refusing to tell me any details about a 16yo memory. ._. If I manage to dredge up anything helpful, I'll let you know.

Some Google results that may be worth reading:
    http://support.eu.square-enix.com/fa...aqtop&c=5&sc=0
    http://support.na.square-enix.com/fa...&c=0&sc=0&so=0
    https://portforward.com/final-fantasy-xi/
    https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/3...rt-forwarding/
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 11-22-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast