You can't change the treasure pool system. People D/C during battles, and then they log back in and they should be allowed to join party and cast lots. This has happened to me many times.

Re; [paraphrased] "we need mercs because all the veteran players would quit if they couldn't merc."

What about all the new players who quit because the game is no longer a challenging adventure world to be enjoyed with a group of friends, in a bonding experience that lasts a lifetime?

With mercing, the game loses this friendship and adventure, and becomes just a trip to the Shopping Mall where you just buy everything you need. How many new players have quit because mercing killed all their potential adventures. You need to weigh this alongside how many veterans quit because they can't merc.

Also, not all veterans are involved in merc activities. A lot of veterans spend their free time Helping Other People For Free. A lot of veterans enjoy helping new players. And we do it for FREE!

In fact, being helpful and friendly to new players, is what made FFXI such a special game in the early days.

FFXI was actually famous in the gaming world, for having a strong community spirit, with advanced players who would sacrifice days, weeks, months, even years, just to help another player obtain a single piece of gear, or clear some difficult mission.

The happiest early memories I had in FFXI, have been when another player gave up their own Free Time, just to help me with something, even if it was trivial and beneath them.

My other happiest memories of FFXI are when I have helped new players, by giving up my free time to help them, to get them started in FFXI, and to make them feel comfortable in Vana'diel. It made them happy. And when I saw them being happy, it made me happy.

This is the FFXI spirit that has existed since at least 2004. This is why FFXI is special. We all share a deep love of Vana'diel, and we help each other, because when we help each other, we are making Vana'diel a happier place with a brighter future.