Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Developers, SquareEnix: What are the REAL chances of us seeing NEW areas?

And for areas i mean BRAND new zones, landmasses continents, etc?
    Not reused zones of the future, or another "alternate vanadiel" or the past of the past?

Totally new, unseen, never-before-explored areas of vanadiel?

My guess is that the chance are slim to none at all!

Guys, what do you think of this?

If we get any new stuff will be [F] North Gustaberg, F = Future or some crazy thing like that.

I think it is about time we stop dreaming and hoping for new content in regards to land
    (4)

Character
    Blowfin
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhaund View Post
    Guys, what do you think of this?
    I think this is about the millionth time it's been asked. The answer is indeed "highly unlikely". They are basically out of room on the PS2 and would need to either a) take zones out of the game to replace them with new ones or b) drop ps2 support so the game can continue to grow.
    (0)

Player
    I think the answer is an effective zero.

With the current state of FFXIV, one has to wonder if the MMO division of Square-Enix is as healthy as we'd like it to be.

I think not.
    (0)

SE will have to make a very conscious decision to stop supporting the PS2 in order for totally new areas to be incorporated. They are unlikely to do this in the near future since there are still a very large number of PS2 users. SE would lose considerable revenue. Sony wants nothing to do with expanding the HDD space on PS2, even though by far and away it is the most reliable platform for FFXI to be played on and FFXI was specifically coded for PS2. The only issues I, as a PS2 user have is that I sometimes get stuck at warp NPC's, Explorer moogles and event moogles, plus an occasional d/c. All other platforms have unique issues/problems. Ask most x-box and pc users. PS3 does not support the game except in rare instances.

Since, allegedly, FF14 is fail, SE is going to keep it's money on FFXI, but, as yet, I am guessing, does not have the money/staff/man hours to expand to new areas, nor can it afford to risk losing a lot of it's PS2 player base.

We can't all afford to buy an X-box, or PC/laptop, new or used, so that argument flies out of the window.
    (0)

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Maybe SE should develop a FFXI PC/laptop with logos and everything. Keep it in expensive since the amount of computer power used to run ffxi is next to nothing now. Or people can just stop being cheap! If you trade in all your old ps2 games and sell your OLD system you will have enough money for a newer PC. Maybe not an alienware elite MX series or anything but a much better system then what the ps2 can do. I work for an electronics retailer and I can tell you that even if you buy a PC or laptop from a retailer you can get a good low end machine that can run ffxi at max settings (which are low to begin with) and have more then enough memory for it. All for less then $400, even less if you already have a monitor to use. SE just needs to drop the PS2 and move on. What company stays alive in this economy working in the past. NOT ONE.

The point is unless your a 15 year old that can't get a job yet then stop being cheap and update your stuff.
    (2)
    Last edited by Kuvo; 04-16-2011 at 10:18 PM.

First, I expected a response like "unless your a 15 year old that can't get a job yet then stop being cheap and update your stuff."

I am not 15, I work, and probably for a lot longer than you have had hot dinners or worn long pants. I have different priorities in life as you will someday. New or used is not in my budget, nor will it ever be. The same applies I am sure to a lot of people. My PS2 suits me just fine, and when SE stops supporting it, then I will quit FFXI.
    (0)

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    My post wasn't directed right at you it was for everyone with that same excuse not moving on from past technology. But since you wanna open up that kind of a response then that shows the kind of person you are. Sure maybe your not a 15 your old that can't get a job but with your kind of response it looks like your a 30+ old with no life. And before you blast me, I run an electronics store that pulls down 40k a day in consumer electronics so for me staying up on technology is my life which i can easily afford.

Either way my point stands for SE get rid of old technology so not only your company can move on and grow but your client base can expand. Get rid of PS2 may drop in some of your current client bases but it will pick up a great deal in the long term because the limit restrictions are gone.

Back to the OP. Yes it would be great to see new areas, maybe not by adding new landmasses but just expand into new areas from existing land. I am getting a little sick of new content coming out with using the same areas in the past or like abyssea using same areas and soon with void and dynamis revisited we'll have a nice rinse and repeat going on. But SE can only work with what they have.
    (2)
    Last edited by Kuvo; 04-16-2011 at 10:53 PM.

The PS2 isn't holding back new zones anyways. All of the reskins are all entirely new zones and take up just as much space as an original zone would. The choice to stick to reskinned zones was purely creative (or lack thereof, really).
    (1)

I will have my revenge!

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Octaviane View Post
    We can't all afford to buy an X-box, or PC/laptop, new or used, so that argument flies out of the window.
    The PS2 was released in 2000, FFXI was released in 2002 May. You've had close to 9 years to save up and get a 300$ Netbook or X360. Get Out!
    (3)
    Last edited by Nubcakes; 04-17-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    The PS2 isn't holding back new zones anyways. All of the reskins are all entirely new zones and take up just as much space as an original zone would. The choice to stick to reskinned zones was purely creative (or lack thereof, really).
    This might be right, but i'm not too sure how SE does it. I never really looked into it. I have worked on many games for local developers and when creating new zones and areas it does take more storage on the users end. But Greatguardian is right about the areas being reskinned. These only use a small amount of extra user memory because they are using already used space. Unless SE somehow uses things differently I think that if they add entire new zones the user will need more storage space hence why the PS2 is reaching capacity. Again I can't speak for SE but from the game projects I have worked on adding new zones will take more space that the ps2 can not do so removing those users will help to increase the games spectrum.

By the way Greatguardian, where did you get that sig?
    (0)
    Last edited by Kuvo; 04-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast