Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Character
    Shinjima
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    You're one of the most absolutely bitter posters I've ever had the displeasure of reading on these forums.

Useless idea is useless anyways. Throwing can never, ever be viable no matter how much they buff it...
    Lol, it's cool. Medicine is usually bitter.

And thank you for the hopeless insight.

Did you even read AyinDygra's post? Or were you too busy pressing the like button on your own posts?
    (1)
    Last edited by Akujima; 04-16-2011 at 04:31 AM.

/sigh

This is what you've really degraded too huh.

I find myself saddened by how this thread eventually unfolded.
    (3)

I read his post. Sorry, but I'll pass on "Stun Shuriken". How often do you see good RNGs and THFs using enfeebling Arrows/Bolts? Exactly.

As for his "Throwing weaponskills" solution, I'll take the word of people who actually coded the game over a random person's pseudo-scientific crap. "You can do A, and you can do B, so obviously you can do C which is sorta like A and B at the same time" is utter nonsense from a programming perspective.
    (2)

I will have my revenge!

Character
    Shinjima
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    /sigh

This is what you've really degraded too huh.

I find myself saddened by how this thread eventually unfolded.
    And continue to do what the trend is:

Gang up on the person who posted the thread, offer no positive insight as to how throwing might ever be introduced back into the game, reiterate the current problem with said skill. Rinse and repeat.

What do you expect really? All most of you said was "Throwing sucks, it will never happen, you're gimp, goodbye."

But it's cool, because you can feel better by just blaming someone else, laying the fault on them so you can sleep better at night.
    (1)

You're doing all the same things you yourself condemn those around you for...
    (2)

Character
    Shinjima
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    You're doing all the same things you yourself condemn those around you for...

I'm just throwing their own $#!% back in their face.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Akujima View Post
    I'm just throwing their own $#!% back in their face.
    Hammurabi was such a genius amirite.

This thread in one post:

You said: The Game needs to do A

Someone else said: The Game does not need to do A, it has always been better to do B

You said: Fuck B, real Ninjas do A and I want to role play my way.

Someone else said: Why are you doing A when it negatively impacts those around you?

You said: I like A so I'm doing A, why are you in my thread telling me why A doesn't work when the thread is about making A work?

I said: A cannot work because of the way the game is designed. It's functionally impossible to make A better than B.

You said: HEY BRO IT DOESN'T MATTER IF A IS BETTER THAN B. WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT IS BETTER? IT IS WHAT DOES MORE BIG NUMBERS?! BIG NUMBERS ARE FOR ELITIST JERKS WHO KISS ASS FOR GEARZ.

I said: You're an idiot.

You said: NO U FATTY

I said: A will never work because X, Y, and Z. It's nice for fun when it doesn't affect anyone else, but they could never improve A enough to be worthwhile over B.

You said: This thread is not about why A will not work. Stop saying why A won't work, you are just being stupid. The idea is to make A work.

Everyone else: But A can't work. It's not how the game works. You cannot magically make A work.

You said: Shut up, stop reiterating the problem. Stop ganging up on me. I want to make A work.

Karb said: Bro you're just antagonizing them too

You said: I do what I want.

That about wraps it up. Throwing will never be good, or even passable because of how the entire freaking game works. RP all you want on your time, but don't expect not to get flak if you do it in a place or in a manner where you negatively impact other people.
    (11)

I will have my revenge!

Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Just to clarify:

"How often do you see good RNGs and THFs using enfeebling Arrows/Bolts?"
    You are underestimating the power of some additional effects that could be added, such as Amnesia to stop the enemy from spamming special attacks near the end of its life (or to make it easier to trigger in abyssea), or provoke when the enemy is running out of melee range and you're not subbing war, or ... the sky's the limit really, just use your imagination.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for them to increase the potency of certain additional effect ammunition for other jobs either.

"You can do A, and you can do B, so obviously you can do C which is sorta like A and B at the same time" is utter nonsense from a programming perspective.
    That's not "utter nonsense", especially from a programming perspective. It's acknowledging the existence of variables and combat/interface code that can use those variables. I have some programming experience, and the fact that they could introduce such features as TP needed for job abilities, job abilities inflicting a status that allows the triggering of weaponskills and job abilities needing ammo or a ranged weapon, shows that the means to keep track of these variables exist and they "could" potentially add my proposed Job Ability that produces a "Throwing Weaponskill"-like result (in all the areas that matter).

In addition, these combat features came out after the Dev Team said they couldn't add throwing weaponskills so very long ago, so there is potential for them to go back and review this possibility with the functionality now added by these new features.
    (3)

Character
    Darwena
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I like throwing shuriken on stuff... Should I quit ffxi asap?
    I like some RPG in a MMORPG game... Should i quit ffxi asap?
    I like to play a job, my way... Should I quit ffxi asap?
    I like to read CS in ffxi, doing quest for the story and the fun of doing them not just for the silly reward they can offer... Should I quit ffxi asap?

If you answer "yes" on most question, then I'm sorry for you guys, but I will continue to play ffxi and I don't f...in care about being an elite if that mean I can't be myself and have "fun" on a "game" I "play" to pass good time with friends.

About OP, I'm agree that Shuriken could be improved a little. At least, having some 99 stack than can be higher then lv48 and decntly obtainable (or w/e it spell). Throwing skill was some good kick ass at 75, now everyone seem to forget how cool its was to deal massive DMG from those lil spiky stars...
    (3)

If it bleeds, I can kill it.
    If it doesn't bleeds...
    I can probably kill it too.

If the first time they give Players access to the Amnesia debuff is via a Shuriken, there will be blood. Blood.

That said, no. Steps and Finishing moves are combat elements that were built from the ground up to be independent of previously existing elements. Ranged weapons and their functions have a code base that has existed since the beginning of the game.

A random example as to why they potentially could not make Throwing WS work would have to do with the fact that there isn't a single Ranged WS that works without a Ranged equipment component. All throwing items use the Ammo slot, leaving the Ranged slot open. If, upon their original coding of the game's Ranged combat mechanics, they required a call to the Ranged equipment slot at all in the process of firing a Ranged Weaponskill, it would be extremely difficult to alter the game's base code in such a way that would allow Throwing items to have a WS and would not break something in the existing Ranged WS code (Can you imagine trying to ask the Dev team to allow you to Raging Rush with only a Grip, and no Axe? Raging Grip!). Keep in mind Ranged combat mechanics are probably at least a thousand lines of code as an absolute minimum. "Find and Replace" doesn't really work out at that sort of scale.

Steps, Angons, and Waltzes also do not behave anywhere near the way Weaponskills do. Waltzes are just Chakra with a TP requirement. Angons don't have damage ratings, WSC, pDif, or accuracy, they're just Trump Cards that you equip. You're looking at these things like classes that you can just mush together whenever you want, when in reality they're significantly more complex and independent. Leaving code open to being mushed like that is horrible practice in a game this size; you would break a dozen things every single update that way (inb4 "but they already do").
    (3)

I will have my revenge!

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast