Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Knightstrike
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    THF Lv 60

When FFXI mobile is released what will you do?

I made a poll asking this, would you play both ver. or leave PC or will you just stay on PC? me personally I'm just going to stay on the PC ver.

I do wished they could release an official HD graphics pack that you can opt. in to use when playing, as well as making a client more win. 10 friendly, here is the link to the poll.

Vote here
    (1)

Character
    Justuas
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Since you can't transfer your character into the mobile version, I see little reason to stop playing the pc version.
    (2)

Player
    Majority of people do not play multiple mmorpg games, it's one or the other.

So if the mobile version is good and worth playing long-term it will 100% hurt all pc players, due to a mass exodus of players. Whether you like it or not, this will happen because that is human nature.

If it's bad (as I'm fully expecting it to be) then nothing will happen (infact it might boost pc player numbers due old players being so dissapointed and going to try pc again), current players will try it be totally underwhelmed and go back to farming omen.

Anyone that really thinks another version of ffxi opening and it being good will have no impact on the pc platform has no real experience with how the world works. Keep in mind that the majority of people keeping this game running are complete casuals.
    (1)
    Last edited by Pixela; 05-28-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I will certainly try it out for curiosity's sake; but whether I actively playit or not beyond that, I still can't forget hte original game.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I will not buy the mobile version, because I don't like mobile games. I don't own any mobile devices, no phones, no laptops, no mini consoles.

I'm still using my FFXI original Boot Discs from 2004, they are carved out of stone and have like pterodactyl bites on them.

I play FFXI at a computer desk with keyboard and mouse, in a comfy spin chair, in front of a massive wall TV, which fills my vision entirely, and makes me feel like I'm actually inside Vana'diel.

And on the desk are fizzy drinks and coffee and sweets. This is how computer games are supposed to be played.

I feel that even if a person works long hours, and commutes, it is still better to spend an hour in the evening, with real gaming on a big screen, with a grown-up keyboard and mouse, comfy chair and treats.

I don't see the point in trying to play games on a tiny screen, while being jostled in the supermarket or something, with little toy mini computers.

I don't feel that saying "I'm too busy to play on grown-up computers" is a real excuse, because I'm super-busy and I still manage to play at least an hour or so in the evening, on an adult PC.

In any case, I think that the PC version of FFXI is *perfect* and it is *exactly* how I always wanted computer games to be, and since the Mobile version will be *different* this automatically means it will no longer be *perfect*.

As always I hope it is successful, and other people enjoy it. I'll just not buy it or play it. See also ff14, ff15, etc. I always hope they succeed and make people happy, but I know that they will never be as good as the FFXI game I installed in 2004.
    (5)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I don't agree with that last setnitment, only because Every game can be good in its own ways. I don't find it fair to compare games made in different eras for audiences with different expectations. I've invested meaningful time in 4 different MMOs and love them all for varying reasons. One will capture my attention more than another at any given moment, but that doesn't mean that any one of them is truly "better" than the other. I love FFXI for its diverse and beautiful world that has aged surprisingly well, and it has a more sociable community that makes even mundane tasks lots more fun than they would be otherwise. I love FFXIV for the intensity and its ongoing storyline, and also the ridiculous amount of music; I love MapleStory for its unique gameplay style (the 2D sidescrolling action style). I can not compare them to each other, I like them each for different reasons. XI will always hold a special place for me as my first MMO and for the lasting friendships I made that extended outside the game; but the others, as well as the many other non MMO games I've played and love all fit into the puzzle too.

Don't write off mobile games too quickly though. While too many of them are all the same with the same annoying monetization mechanics etc, there are a few out there that stand out. Just because a platform is known for having a lot of crap doesn't mean there isn't any good stuff either.
    (1)

Character
    Justuas
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Majority of people do not play multiple mmorpg games, it's one or the other.

So if the mobile version is good and worth playing long-term it will 100% hurt all pc players, due to a mass exodus of players. Whether you like it or not, this will happen because that is human nature.
    I disagree it would hurt PC. Mobile games are designed to be played in short succession. I don't think it can outclass pc entirely whether it will be good or bad.
    (0)

Character
    Beerus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    As if I wouldn't camp NM's on company time .... totally buying it, even if I barley play it.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Justuas View Post
    I disagree it would hurt PC. Mobile games are designed to be played in short succession. I don't think it can outclass pc entirely whether it will be good or bad.
    There are many people subbed for ffxi on pc that play no more than a few hours a week, losing these people will also hurt you. Since regardless how many hours you play, the sub is the same.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I don't agree with that last setnitment, only because Every game can be good in its own ways. I don't find it fair to compare games made in different eras for audiences with different expectations. I've invested meaningful time in 4 different MMOs and love them all for varying reasons. One will capture my attention more than another at any given moment, but that doesn't mean that any one of them is truly "better" than the other. I love FFXI for its diverse and beautiful world that has aged surprisingly well, and it has a more sociable community that makes even mundane tasks lots more fun than they would be otherwise. I love FFXIV for the intensity and its ongoing storyline, and also the ridiculous amount of music; I love MapleStory for its unique gameplay style (the 2D sidescrolling action style). I can not compare them to each other, I like them each for different reasons. XI will always hold a special place for me as my first MMO and for the lasting friendships I made that extended outside the game; but the others, as well as the many other non MMO games I've played and love all fit into the puzzle too.

Don't write off mobile games too quickly though. While too many of them are all the same with the same annoying monetization mechanics etc, there are a few out there that stand out. Just because a platform is known for having a lot of crap doesn't mean there isn't any good stuff either.
    This is going to be a long post, because we are dealing with the subjects of "quality" and "novelty" but it will stay on topic since the new era is all about the struggle between those two factors.

I will be using the metaphor of comparing computergames to homes we live in, rent or buy.

I built my first computer in 1981, it was a ZX80 kit-build. I wrote a machine-code game on it, called Stickman Cricket, where a little stick man hit a "." with a "l".

The game sucked, but it was 1981, so I thought it was OK. It was my home for a while, but I knew it was not my real home, it was small and uncomfortable and had fleas.

During the 1980s, I lived in rented homes called Attic Attack, Chuckie Egg, Nemesis The Warlock, Gryzor, Rygar, Double Dragon, Exolon, Elite, etc.

Those were my homes in the 1980s, they were like small apartments I was renting, they were quite nice, and I had fun. But I knew they were not my real home. They just didn't feel right.

In the 1990s and early 2000s I was playing a lot of games, they were cool, they were my temporary rental homes. But I knew they were not my real home. They didn't feel perfect.

Then FFXI arrived in 2004, and I was amazed, because I had found my real home.

The RPG Fighting Fantasy / Swords & Sorcery theme, medieval influences, the Equipment Grid, Macros, Text Menu scrolling, attack system, weaponskills, pets, mob kiting, friends, LS system, chat system, and the massive open world of Vana'diel where I could travel to obscure places and "do my own thing" ie. I could decide how the game would be played today.

I realised for the first time in my life that I was truly happy in my new home. It was the home I had always wanted to live in. I felt so comfortable. I never wanted to leave. I never wanted to find a new home.

We often hear stories about people who live in old houses, and a property developer offers them a shiny new modern house, with bright colours and shiny stuff. But those people don't want to move, even with a cash incentive.

This is how I feel about Vana'diel, FFXI on PC. I am so happy and at home, that even when game developers dangle new shiny modern games in front of me, I just yawn. Sure, they are shiny and modern, but they are not comfortable to me. They don't feel like my home feels.

Back in the 1980s I collected all the CRASH! magazines and C&VG magazines, and I still own the full sets of those from the entire 1980s. They are worth a lot of money now, lol.

Anyway, in those days, we rated games not just on Graphics and Sound, but on Playability. Graphics and Sound were nice, but they were never as important as Playability.

What we have with FFXI is a game that is festooned with Playability. It is so Playable.

The menus and equipment grid and combat system feel so natural and comfortable, even for a new player. And when you master the game system, you can perform miracles of gaming skill, there are so many ways for your personal User Input to *shine*.

FFXI on PC just plays so nice, and feels so right. I'm so happy when I play it. I don't feel the same way about the new modern shiny games, which make me feel uncomfortable and sort of useless, like I'm watching a movie and occasionally get to do something. They don't have the Playability that I seek.

So, in summary, FFXI on PC feels like home to me, I cherish every day I can spend in my home. I don't want to move to a new shiny home, it would break my little heartaru.

(2)
    Last edited by Stompa; 05-31-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast