Hybrid View

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Incorrect PlayOnline ID or Password... Except That It’s Not

Hello! I’m a newly returning player after spending a couple years away from FFxi.

I’m having an issue where if I select my member ID to login into from PlayOnline I always get an error message saying “Incorrect PlayOnline ID or password” despite the fact that I have the correct ID in and I’m using a password that I’ve updated a few minutes prior to starting up PlayOnline.

I know that I’m entering the correct information because I’ve successfully logged in as a guest using the exact same information as what the error message says is incorrect.

Can anyone in the player community help out while I await costumer support to reply with something undoubtedly unhelpful like “You need to update your PlayOnline password”?
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisscar View Post
    Hello! I’m a newly returning player after spending a couple years away from FFxi.

I’m having an issue where if I select my member ID to login into from PlayOnline I always get an error message saying “Incorrect PlayOnline ID or password” despite the fact that I have the correct ID in and I’m using a password that I’ve updated a few minutes prior to starting up PlayOnline.

I know that I’m entering the correct information because I’ve successfully logged in as a guest using the exact same information as what the error message says is incorrect.

Can anyone in the player community help out while I await costumer support to reply with something undoubtedly unhelpful like “You need to update your PlayOnline password”?
    As someone who just went thru this after a Win10 update erased my data somehow, hoping I can help. ^^ The big thing here is that you are being told "PlayOnline ID or password." Your POL ID is the ABCD1234 type that identifies your account, and the POL password is the one you used when setting that portion of the account up, NOT the password you use to sign into your account here. When registering the account in the POL client, you have to enter your POL ID and POL password in the upper portion, (have to toggle the save password here,) then in the lower portion, under the "SquareEnix ID" field, enter your password for your account here. After you do this, then you will be asked for your SquareEnix password when logging in.

If you don't remember your actual PlayOnline password that you used to make the account, then you will have to reset your POL password thru the Account Management page here. This does not affect your SquareEnix ID/password.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    As someone who just went thru this after a Win10 update erased my data somehow, hoping I can help. ^^ The big thing here is that you are being told "PlayOnline ID or password." Your POL ID is the ABCD1234 type that identifies your account, and the POL password is the one you used when setting that portion of the account up, NOT the password you use to sign into your account here. When registering the account in the POL client, you have to enter your POL ID and POL password in the upper portion, (have to toggle the save password here,) then in the lower portion, under the "SquareEnix ID" field, enter your password for your account here. After you do this, then you will be asked for your SquareEnix password when logging in.

If you don't remember your actual PlayOnline password that you used to make the account, then you will have to reset your POL password thru the Account Management page here. This does not affect your SquareEnix ID/password.
    I’m not trying to be rude here but did you perhaps miss the part where I wrote that I logged in as a guest using the very information that POL said was incorrect when I to login on my membership linked to POL?
    (0)

Player
    I’m not trying to be rude here but did you perhaps miss the part where I wrote that I logged in as a guest using the very information that POL said was incorrect when I to login on my membership linked to POL?
    I didn't miss that, but what you are doing is not working, so perhaps you should consider logging in using your SE ID instead of banging your head against the wall that is the ancient piece of coding called the PlayOnline Client. ^^;;
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I didn't miss that, but what you are doing is not working, so perhaps you should consider logging in using your SE ID instead of banging your head against the wall that is the ancient piece of coding called the PlayOnline Client. ^^;;
    I know that it’s been a couple years since I’ve played, but I thought that you still needed to use POL in order to play FFxi? How do you bypass it?
    (0)

Player
    I know that it’s been a couple years since I’ve played, but I thought that you still needed to use POL in order to play FFxi? How do you bypass it?
    You do still need to enter your POL ID/Password. That is just not what you normally use to actually login anymore. I don't remember if it's 100% required to use the SE login, but since it 100% works, might as well do it, ya know? ^^
    (0)

You do still need to enter your POL ID/Password. That is just not what you normally use to actually login anymore. I don't remember if it's 100% required to use the SE login, but since it 100% works, might as well do it, ya know? ^^
    It's basically:

#1. Enter your POL info here.

#2. Enter your SE account info here.

It was mentioned the password was updated? Make sure it's updated in the settings. As if you're playing FFXI as of today on a proper account, you do need an SE account login.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Well seems I jumped through abunch of hoops for nothing, but hopefully this will help some people having issues.

Several years back, Square Enix went to a cetnral account system that encompasses both of their MMOs, their forums, most recently their online store, their support site and some other things. Players of FFXI were required to obtain a Square Enix Account and link their PlayOnline ID to it in order to play. So you currenlty need four (or five) pieces of information to log in:

PlayOnline ID (ABCD1234)
    PlayOnline Password
    Square Enix ID (has a name of your choosing)
    Square Enix Password
    (Optional) Security token password

Here is what you need to do:
    Go into PlayOnline's login screen and click Add Member. You'll see this:

Member name can be whatever, but I suggest to use your main character's name or your SE account name for the sake of not confusing yourself.
    PlayOnline ID should be your ABCD1234 playonline ID name.
    You must change "Set Password" to "Set" (not "Not set")
    Then Enter your playonline password in the box.
    Ignore the Member password/confirm password boxes.
    Enter your Square Enix ID in the SE ID box.
    Set One Time Password to "Use" if you have a security token.

Now, log in to the account. You'll be asked for your Square Enix password, and this is what you enter, not your PlayOnline password (which is saved).

If you get error code POL-5311, this means you entered your Square Enix Account password, or your security token password, wrong.
    If you get some other error, it is your PlayOnline info that is incorrect.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-19-2018 at 08:53 AM.

The reason it works as a "guest" is because guests aren't required to migrate information to an SE Account. The reason you get the incorrect POL Pass/ID error is because, it is indeed incorrect. You are supposed to log in with your SE ACCOUNT information, not your POL information.

You mentioned a few years; 2-3 years at best? Or using "few years" to simplify "a long ass time" like 6+? Because if it's the latter, you might not be setting it up properly in the launcher. You will need to login with SE account ID and password.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    The reason it works as a "guest" is because guests aren't required to migrate information to an SE Account. The reason you get the incorrect POL Pass/ID error is because, it is indeed incorrect. You are supposed to log in with your SE ACCOUNT information, not your POL information.

You mentioned a few years; 2-3 years at best? Or using "few years" to simplify "a long ass time" like 6+? Because if it's the latter, you might not be setting it up properly in the launcher. You will need to login with SE account ID and password.
    If my subscription service history is accurate it’s been about four years actually although it feels a lot longer. And FFXIV is no substitution in case there was any doubt.

I have transferred my account over to Squee already, as it turns out. I’ll have to experiment when I get home from work... Ugh, why is four hours so long!
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast