Anyone see the PC Gamer article today about the HD Graphics overhaul?

Youtube videos have been being posted on other boards, and PC Gamer interviewed the guy and posted an article today.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    We've known for some time. It just goes to show that with very VERY minimal effort in terms of business resources, SE damn well could have given us a facelift. They chose not to. Blah blah blah to all the people that said it'd be too expensive to do. We got one dude working all by himself and he is pulling it off in his spare time, what MMO devs typically do for their aging MMORPGs, a quick HD facelift, nothing serious. SE could pay one guy to work on it for as long as it took, a year or three. They chose not to. We're years into a windows only XI and still, they choose not to.

It's enough to make me cancel my sub, fly to Japan, and have a serious discussion with the old farts in command at SE HQ about why they couldn't give this one thing back to the players after 16 years that someone who isn't even an employee is doing it for us in his free time. Once upon a time I would seriously do that but I accepted long long ago that SE gave this game the middle finger the moment they conceived FFXIV. I'm still somewhat shocked that the game is still running but I guess it will keep going until it is absolutely not financially feasible. They will not lose money to keep it going.
    (2)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

There actually appear to be at least 3 people on the FFXI subreddit working on these now, not just the one guy. He just built a process that makes it easier for people to do and contribute as a group. Still, I think this is 10% or less of the zones done so far.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Yes and I like what there is of it! I can't wait to see the Mog Garden in HD or Bastok (all of it), etc.

HEY SE! I'd even be willing to pay an one time fee (preferred) or monthly fee for the HD version by SE of Vana'diel / FFXI!!
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    FFXI is the greatest computergame in the history of this planet.

Vana'diel is the most beautiful, emotionally engaging, and immersive Cybernetic Ecology ever to exist in a computer program.

FFXI should have been distributed in schools, to teach kids about patience, hand-eye coordination, strategic planning, group dynamics, and friendship.

FFXI should have been updated in line with advances in technology, and should have been promoted commercially on Social Media as a game you would really like to buy.

FFXI will remain unchallenged as the greatest computer game of all time, ground-breaking, beautifully crafted, and filled with boundless joy. Any Computer Museum in the distant future will absolutely place FFXI on display as a tribute to the genius and industriousness of early 21st Century computergame creators.

FFXI represents a Goldilocks Zone, where worlds collided, at the dawn of the digital age. RPG fighting fantasy merged with Japanese teamwork / friendship ethic, and the plotline and NPC text was narrated by Master Storytellers. Characters were basic, doll-like, and the simplicity of the "toy soldiers" was so much more beautiful and simply graceful than all the shiny Ultra-Realistic clunky games that came afterwards.

Is it even possible to believe that a company created *The Perfect Computergame* and did not realise the historical and cultural enormity of what they had created. Did they stumble into Valhalla, only to keep running out through the backdoor without noticing.

I love Vana'diel, even if it is not in HD, Vana'diel changed my life forever and it will remain in my heart until the end of time.
    (5)

Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I totally agree with you! /cheer

Well put!

Still I'd love to see the full HD version. Make it optional so people can continue to use their existing computers or use the HD version with a newer computer.

Again I'd pay RL gil (e.g. dollars) for it (one time fee preferred, but monthly - sigh - if necessary).
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by IBHalliwell View Post
    Yes and I like what there is of it! I can't wait to see the Mog Garden in HD or Bastok (all of it), etc.

HEY SE! I'd even be willing to pay an one time fee (preferred) or monthly fee for the HD version by SE of Vana'diel / FFXI!!
    https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51963/ffxi-hd-mods/

Mog garden hd textures download about half way down the post.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    if you like the mods then just use them, its all client side.
    (0)