Character
    Iayea
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 79

playonline viewer has stopped working

I just installed ffxi returning after 4 years. I log into playonline, everything is fine, when I click on play, the screen goes black like the game is going to start, but then an error comes up saying playonline viewer has stopped working, then it goes back to my desktop.

First I reinstall playonline viewer and ffxi again, still happened. I made sure graphic card drivers were updated. same with direct x. I even system restore before latest windows update and reinstall ffxi again.

Also made sure legacy was enabled.

date and time: January 28 - February 2, 2018

Frequency: always

Platform: PC

PC Manufacturer & Model Number: Homebuilt computer

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 290x

processor: Intel i5-4670k

Memory: 16 GB ram

ISP: AT&T

Type of Internet Connection: Cable
    (0)
    Last edited by jt3143; 02-03-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Player
    If you are hoping for an official response, then you should probably edit your post and redo it using the sticky in this forum found here.

Most common error that I know of is due to the game being really old, and newer versions of Windows needs to be told that the game is really old in order to know that it should be using stuff like DirectX to try to run it, and I'm pretty sure DirectX isn't even included in the base install of Win10.. Since you gave no useable info to troubleshoot from, can't walk you thru turning on legacy mode, so good luck!
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Yep, as mentioned, not much information to go on there.

I would suggest making sure that your graphics drivers are up to date and downloading DirectX from the Microsoft site.
    (0)

Character
    Iayea
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 79
    ok I edited my post, hopefully it explains more, sorry for the mess up. I tried to contact square enix through the site but I keep getting errors.
    (0)

Player
    Looks better. XD They might actually answer you now.

Hmm.. Do you have DirectX8 installed? Not just "newest version" is needed. (Think it was DirectX8 that FFXI needs...)

The other common error that I've run into for this game in particular is actually related to UAC. If your screen dims at a UAC prompt, that is enough to break FFXI.
    1) Hit the Windows key / Open your start menu by clicking / etc
    2) type "UAC" and hit enter
    3) slide the slider down to the option that includes "do not dim my desktop" in the description.
    4) click OK.

As long as you have the correct DX installed, FFXI should work fine now in most cases. ^^

This function does technically serve a purpose in calling attention to potentially unwanted activity on your system, but the dimming itself does not directly affect how the rest of UAC operates. Unfortunately, the dimming broke FFXI on the 2x desktops and 4x laptops that I've installed it on, so it needs to be turned off.

Odds are good that it's either the UAC dimming thing or not having the correct OLD versions of DirectX installed. >_>;; The hoops we jump thru to play this game... lol

Honestly, I believe that all of the known "hoops" to get FFXI working on modern Windows 10 systems should be officially posted here in a sticky. Probably best if it included hosted links to things like needed version of DirectX to reduce frustration of hopeful new players.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 02-03-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Iayea
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 79
    Thanks, uac was already set to "do not dim my desktop" I seem to not be able to install an older version of direct x, when I tried it aid I already have a newer version installed. I think my computer might just need a fresh windows install, but anyways I'll keep trying stuff, but if I can't figure it out, I'll just have to go back to ff14.
    (0)

Player
    Few more things to try:

* Make sure DirectPlay is enabled. Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > "Legacy Components" > Check the box for "DirectPlay"

* Open the properties of the FFXI shortcut. Go to compatibility tab. I have NOTHING CHECKED in mine, EXCEPT for "Override high DPI scaling behavior" with scaling set by Application.
    When I came back to the game a couple years ago, I had trouble with how Windows was trying to handle graphical options and think this was how I fixed it.

* If you don't have a copy of DirectX 8.1, then here is a link to the official MS Spanish download page. Google In-line Translation works great for spanish > english.. Have to give you a foreign language link since they removed the english pages long ago. >.> lol

If the above don't work, come bug us on BGwiki forums. There are some more technically minded individuals who should be able to troubleshoot you to success better than I can. One nice thing about this community: Players tend to be rather helpful to each other when it comes to stuff like this. We actually WANT others to join us after all. lol
    (2)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 02-03-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Character
    Iayea
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 79
    well good news I got the game to work, not on my pc but my old laptop still had windows 7 on it!
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jt3143 View Post
    well good news I got the game to work, not on my pc but my old laptop still had windows 7 on it!
    \o/ That works too! lol
    (0)