Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1

White Mage has higher shield skill than frontline job Beastmaster?

Shield Skill Caps
    Job Grade Level 99
    PLD A+ 424
    WAR C+ 378
    WHM D 334
    BST E 300
    RDM F 265
    THF F 265

Hi,
    Can we please adjust skill caps for Shields so that front-line jobs like Beastmaster have a better chance at ....survival? I recommend Pet: Ready Delay -5 on a Shield for Beastmaster along with significant skill increases.
    (2)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can understand why WHM is associated with shields, as shields are ultimately a defensive item, and WHM traditionally was hiding far away from danger and casting defensive spells like stoneskin and blink. So just from a lore point of view, WHM would be native to using shields to increase their overall defence.

I always equipped light-staff on my WHM, so I never was able to use shields. Ironically, I always equipped the very same light-staff on my BST, every day for six years 2004-10. And so I would not have been using shields on my BST either.

BST was formerly kiting / pinning <Run away!> kind of job, it was very defensive indeed, and BST/WHM was the norm, usually with light-staff equipped for Charm.

But the game has changed and BST is now front line Robocop kind of job, lacking the subtlety and sophistication of its former Glory Days. And so, in line with BST being a front-line job now, I think you are right to expect a higher shield rating for BST.

But again, PUP has awesome Throwing skill, PLD has awesome Staff skill - even though PLD is defined by its use of shields which means they can't use staves!

I was sorrowful in 2008, when I realized that the "Martial Magicians" (SCH) have an incredibly low Staff skill. Scholars are supposed to be Battle Wizards, they should have a far higher staff skill than PLD has, and yet, Scholar has this feeble staff skill. And PLD who equip a shield all the time, they have a godly staff skill.

And WAR, who are officially the job of Fencer, do not get any legendary swords, or a super sword skill rating, even though Fencers always used swords. Most of WARs Jobpoint Gifts are Fencer Bonuses, and yet WAR's primary weapon is Gaxe which does not have any benefit from Fencer.

Even though FFXI is without question the greatest computergame in the history of the universe, it has evolved organically over 15 years, and some things changed out of pace with other facets of the game. Some things probably need to be overhauled to reflect those changes, chime with the wider lore structure, and the evolving nature of certain jobs.
    (1)

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can understand why WHM is associated with shields, as shields are ultimately a defensive item, and WHM traditionally was hiding far away from danger and casting defensive spells like stoneskin and blink. So just from a lore point of view, WHM would be native to using shields to increase their overall defence.

I always equipped light-staff on my WHM, so I never was able to use shields. Ironically, I always equipped the very same light-staff on my BST, every day for six years 2004-10. And so I would not have been using shields on my BST either.

BST was formerly kiting / pinning <Run away!> kind of job, it was very defensive indeed, and BST/WHM was the norm, usually with light-staff equipped for Charm.

But the game has changed and BST is now front line Robocop kind of job, lacking the subtlety and sophistication of its former Glory Days. And so, in line with BST being a front-line job now, I think you are right to expect a higher shield rating for BST.

But again, PUP has awesome Throwing skill, PLD has awesome Staff skill - even though PLD is defined by its use of shields which means they can't use staves!

I was sorrowful in 2008, when I realized that the "Martial Magicians" (SCH) have an incredibly low Staff skill. Scholars are supposed to be Battle Wizards, they should have a far higher staff skill than PLD has, and yet, Scholar has this feeble staff skill. And PLD who equip a shield all the time, they have a godly staff skill.

And WAR, who are officially the job of Fencer, do not get any legendary swords, or a super sword skill rating, even though Fencers always used swords. Most of WARs Jobpoint Gifts are Fencer Bonuses, and yet WAR's primary weapon is Gaxe which does not have any benefit from Fencer.

Even though FFXI is without question the greatest computergame in the history of the universe, it has evolved organically over 15 years, and some things changed out of pace with other facets of the game. Some things probably need to be overhauled to reflect those changes, chime with the wider lore structure, and the evolving nature of certain jobs.
    Respectfully, I appreciate your explanation but I'm already aware of the historical context and understand that different parts of the game have outpaced each other. I just think that if SE declares Beastmaster a front-line job, then all skills/merits/JAs/etc should be updated to reflect their new mandated style of gameplay.
    (0)

4. 11-15-2017 08:02 PM

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Maybe we have a reason to create a Beastmaster-specific shield here? Pet-based Ammurapi Shield maybe?
    (0)

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    I'm not sure that Shield Skill+ on any given shield will help close close the gap between the native Shield Skill of Beastmaster, and other jobs, like White Mage.

Is this situation improved with increased Master Levels? I cannot see how this could be true. Any insight would be appreciated.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    You and your worthless necrobumps.
    (0)

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    If you don't have anything nice to say, then find something nice to say.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are there any rules about necrobumps?
    Does this forum not allows it even though it is still relatable topics?
    Do users have to create new topic if said relatable older topics are too old to bump it up?

From what I see over net rules, think it is still understandable to bump old topics as long as it's still relevant & not just mere spam-bumping.
    Personally, I just find it a bit annoying if related topics had to be created as another new topic, hence making duplicates, it's much more apparent when using search about said topics.
    (3)

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbinT View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are there any rules about necrobumps?
    Does this forum not allows it even though it is still relatable topics?
    Do users have to create new topic if said relatable older topics are too old to bump it up?

From what I see over net rules, think it is still understandable to bump old topics as long as it's still relevant & not just mere spam-bumping.
    Personally, I just find it a bit annoying if related topics had to be created as another new topic, hence making duplicates, it's much more apparent when using search about said topics.
    I agree with you. I don't understand why Spicy Ryan creates zero threads of his own and yet shares his distasteful opinion of everyone else in other people's threads. It's sad. If I had created a new thread to discuss Beastmaster Shields, he'd just poop on it there too, right?

Anyway, I know that on some forums, "necrobumping" is considered bad practice because they also opt to notify people when their posts are quoted. Some people laugh when a person quotes another someone who hasn't posted in YEARS, but sometimes it can be intentional. I've had some pretty amazing things happen in my life from people who necro'bumped my posts on other forums. I've received some extremely rare gaming collectibles from a redditor whose health was failing. He sent me an item I had been looking for in a 5-year old post! ....so take this post as you will, I don't see necrobumping as such as a bad thing.

In a game like FFXI, where issues, thoughts, topics, attitudes, etc, can all last for months and years, I think it's OK to see fewer, longer threads, than many new threads all trying to address the same thing.

Anyway, the topic of this thread is that: Beastmaster's Shield options are lame and as a frontline DD, this should be remedied.

Please, no troll Beastmaster shields, like "Reward II+10" forcing us to lose TP if we want to use Reward with increased HP restoration.

In any case, I still think Beastmaster should get:

1.) All jug pets uncapped (according to Main hand Axe level, as is today).
    2.) Dual Wield I or II at level 99 (Because Axes and Axe Weapon Skills are terrible).
    3.) Remove Beast Affinity / Beast Healer because #1 makes this unnecessary.
    4.) Replace them with a Pet Diffusion, enabling Beastmasters to share their pet's buff with the entire party.
    (3)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    If you don't have anything nice to say, then find something nice to say.
    ____No____
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast