Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If Beastmaster requires Ninja subjob to be functional as a front-line DD
    I wouldn't say "required," just "most optimal." there's a difference.

And for a very long time, /NIN was the norm for most melee DDs, until so many NMs all stripped all shadows all the time. I don't recall many people complaining about that meta though.

Giving BST native dual wield would make a lot more sense if subbing NIN bothers you that much. But I don't think anything needs to change there. BST isn't really tank and even a somewhat better shield skill isn't that helpful. Shields in general aren't that great unless you're a PLD in the first place, simply becuase of the shields that PLD has access to.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-01-2023 at 09:16 AM.

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I wouldn't say "required," just "most optimal." there's a difference.

And for a very long time, /NIN was the norm for most melee DDs, until so many NMs all stripped all shadows all the time. I don't recall many people complaining about that meta though.

Giving BST native dual wield would make a lot more sense if subbing NIN bothers you that much. But I don't think anything needs to change there. BST isn't really tank and even a somewhat better shield skill isn't that helpful. Shields in general aren't that great unless you're a PLD in the first place, simply becuase of the shields that PLD has access to.
    I appreciate your taking the time to reply but you indicated you haven't played Beastmaster in a while. Give single-wielding Axes a try in Odyssey, Sortie, even just Gaes Fetes NMs, and I guarantee you won't feel like you're playing a frontline DD. (Dancer and Ninja subjobs aren't required for frontline DDs, Beast Masters should have avenues to use other subjobs more in line with Frontline DDs).
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    and I guarantee you won't feel like you're playing a frontline DD.
    I probably wouldn't. Which is why I'd sub NIN, because it's just the smart thing to do. That doesn't mean it's "required."

You aren't required to play optimally, or any particular way.

Like I said, I don't see what increasing it's shield skill is going to do- there's basically PLD, and everyone else. I'd be open to adding other traits to improve survivability but increasing shield skill would be pretty much useless.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-01-2023 at 05:32 PM.

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I probably wouldn't. Which is why I'd sub NIN, because it's just the smart thing to do. That doesn't mean it's "required."

You aren't required to play optimally, or any particular way.

Like I said, I don't see what increasing it's shield skill is going to do- there's basically PLD, and everyone else. I'd be open to adding other traits to improve survivability but increasing shield skill would be pretty much useless.
    I think we both agree that something is missing in Beastmaster's frontline performance. I'm only using Shield Skill as an example, because it comes natively to Beastmaster, and at a very low rating compared to backline jobs, like White Mage. Whatever solutions comes from this discussion, even if it's survivability traits, I'll take it.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    WHM has shield skill because it's an absolutely horrible job to solo on (particularly early on) and much like BST (admittedly) it's best weapon type is a 1-hand weapon. It's really just to fill the slot with something that adds stats, frankly. I wouldn't call it all that useful in their case either (and if you want to fight as a WHM, again, you're probably subbing NIN and offhanding a k-club)
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3