Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamasala View Post
    10 dollars is nothing for me. I just refuse to buy something I consider not necessary.

I agree with the password saving for SE ID though. Almost made me regret signing up for these forums when all my future logins became a chore.
    That really reeks of lazyness. The Tokens were something which we should have had from the start and if a few extra steps helps me keep my account more secure in an age where online theft is a common thing then I'd gladly pay for it. If you really have no idea what sparked the whole thing you should check this thread out..

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/528...mised-Accounts

It had gotten to the point that people were getting their accounts ripped right out from under them and SE finally had to do something with the thousands of players that got their shit jacked.
    (0)

Character
    Sagian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 66
    Quote Originally Posted by SNK View Post
    That really reeks of lazyness. The Tokens were something which we should have had from the start and if a few extra steps helps me keep my account more secure in an age where online theft is a common thing then I'd gladly pay for it. If you really have no idea what sparked the whole thing you should check this thread out..

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/528...mised-Accounts

It had gotten to the point that people were getting their accounts ripped right out from under them and SE finally had to do something with the thousands of players that got their shit jacked.
    It doesn't reek of laziness. For some of us the security token is wholly unnecessary. I would be spending $10 for the sole purpose of acquiring extra inventory space. Not gonna happen.

People were getting their accounts ripped right out from under them because they were careless, not because a security token didn't exist.
    (0)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Not using IEhaving up to date anti-virus and firefox ad-block may not always be enough. I my self trust no one, all it would take is a roommate, child or anyone else in your house that might get on your PC that could bone you. A added layer to know that is would be harder to hack you then its worth is never a bad thing.
    (0)

Character
    Khajit
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagian View Post
    It doesn't reek of laziness. For some of us the security token is wholly unnecessary. I would be spending $10 for the sole purpose of acquiring extra inventory space. Not gonna happen.

People were getting their accounts ripped right out from under them because they were careless, not because a security token didn't exist.
    Completely wrong there. There is essentially no defense against a zero day infection for a pc and to top it off it turned out later that during a patch Microsoft had forced in for silverlight that there was a gaping security hole/exploit in it that they knew about for over 6~9 months which users had no ability to patch up. It wasn't until around the time that it was announced publicly and an option existed to disable it that account jackings finally trickled down to almost nothingness.

While it is true that people do need to have an updated antivirus , noscript , and etc those methods arent 100% and they especially arent when there are security holes that large being ignored by an OS provider.
    (1)
    Last edited by Khajit; 04-15-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Token wouldn't be 100% safe either, which keeps it pointless to buy.
    (0)

Character
    Skywarp
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 90
    people will complain about anything. its $10.00 quit QQing and jsut buy it or hush. peopel at SE got to eat too
    (0)

90 BLM, RDM, SMN, NIN, BST, DRG, SAM, WAR, PLD, BLU, RNG...

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamasala View Post
    Token wouldn't be 100% safe either, which keeps it pointless to buy.
    I see your logic now and I shall reply with an analogy. It seems when your parents had you as a baby they decided there was a 50% chance of you being retarded if they tossed you down the steps and a 0.5% chance if they didn't. It seems since theirs a chance either way it didn't matter so they tossed you down the steps.

In all seriousness, just stop. It seems that you're a rather misinformed individual and I'm sorry for you. However, nothing is absolutely 100% safe therefore should we stop doing everything that gives any sort of benefit in any way? I'm going to guess you're one of those people who don't believe in western medicines and prefer spiritual healing as western medicines aren't 100% effective in each persons body.

The truth of the matter is that the tokens have stopped thousands of accounts from being hacked. Does this stop people from trying to hack you? No. However, this does make it much much much harder for them to do so. Just recently (3 months ago) someone tried to brute force hack my account apparently because SE sent me an email saying they took the liberty of temporary suspending it due to the amount of login errors processed and I had to go about a playonline password change. I have a token so this wasn't a huge issue but if I had not it is possible someone could have gotten in. Anything that adds an additional layer of security is not useless, the only thing that is useless is people like you that may convince the also misinformed/less tech savvy people into believing it is a waste of money.

For the record, I use Firefox, adblock, no script and I have never even loaded up IE on this computer as I have it disabled. I also deleted the Real Player the second I got this PC as that is another known exploit.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    10 dollars is nothing for me. I just refuse to buy something I consider not necessary.
    It's not ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, no, as long as you properly guard your personal information and NEVER give your account info to ANYONE. But if anything has EVER been slipped, even if you're sure no one ever saw or used it, your account is at a minimum of a slight risk. $10 is trivial and the token (normally) lasts for years. But if you don't value your account enough to protect it, then don't post a whine thread on this or any other forum when your account does get jacked.
    (0)

Tokens are like condoms.

You may have researched the Adblock pull-out method and tied it into the Firefox ovulation calendar, but shit can still happen. Security tokens are 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. It's not 100%, but nothing is. You can end up pregnant with a keylogger whether you practice Adblock pull-outs or use a Security token condom. Obviously this means condoms are a scam, right?
    (4)

I will have my revenge!

Character
    Sope
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I spent $10 dollars for 80 inventory space once, and for some reason SE sent me some silly token keychain thing.
    (1)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast