Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    It's 4pm BST/3pm GMT/11am ET/8am PT on a Tuesday, hardly prime-time for anyone. Shiva is @ 678. It's not busy, but it's not dead either. I couldn't comment about the state of endgame though. Perhaps someone else from my server can.
    (0)
    It all began with a stone...

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Why do I have to play on asura to see people from asura stream the game and sit in 30 minute ambu queues?

Why do I have to play on asura to see people from asura stream the game and sit in omen queues?

Why do I have to play on asura to see people from asura stream the game and sit in queues for htbfs?

Why do I have to play on asura to see people from asura stream the game and see every apex mob camp taken?

Why do I have to play on asura to look at ffxiah shouts and see this: «Ambuscade» #1 VD «Looking for members.» «Veteran» RUN-Epeo NIN-Aeonic 5/6?

Or that 20% of the shouts are people mercing, or looking to merc items.

Asura is NOT the answer for everyone, STOP telling people to go there.

What the OP is doing is great, seeing which servers(that aren't the reddit approved server) have high volumes of players during x time so people can see which server is best for them. Stop telling everyone to go to asura.
    Err.. I got bored after reading the first line...

I have experience of both dead and active servers, not by making judgment by watching a few videos online which isn't a true reflection of the overall experience.
    (1)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    There are servers that have active player bases that aren't huge. Some people like smaller communities and not huge zergs, respect peoples opinions.
    (3)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 10-19-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    There are servers that have active player bases that aren't huge. Some people like smaller communities and not huge zergs, respect peoples opinions.
    Right...

That's not how MMOPRG's work though, big businesses wouldn't create games with a subscription based model for 'smaller communities' - It's not financially viable.
    (1)

Character
    Justuas
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    snip
    Well the OP asked about server population and EU-players. Do you know any better server than Asura population-wise? We don't want the OP to quit the game, do we?
    (1)

Player
    If something makes me quit the game, then it is that certain Monster can still kill me with 2-3 attacks/moves after playing almost 13 years. I don't want to kill the hardest NMs in 2-3 hits, but that i survive longer than i do now, after getting better equipment and abilities for 13 fucking years... .

SE doesn't have better ideas to keep this games endgame harder, but to enable mobs to remove ALL buffs at once, block your equipment, reset ALL of your abilities (also Ability-THEFT, TP-THEFT, HP-THEFT, MP-THEFT), to use the old 2h/1h/45 min abilities in a row, enable NMs to sleep and damage you with the same move, without waking you.
    Their is no "fairness" or relation between how player can use their abilities and how often mobs can use them in one and the same fight.

Would players have almost the same potent options as mobs, or mobs would have less chances to use the same abilities as the players as often as they do now, it would be different... .

But back to the roots. It's silent without a linkshell. Especially without people from your own timezone or another country in Europe. I'm gonna stay a while. Maybe gonna play less. But once i got the mythics i want, i may have to rethink what to do. Quest or Servervise.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyclia; 10-23-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyclia View Post
    or country like Europe.
    *facepalm*
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    *facepalm*
    Sorry that i didn't read my post often enough, to not make a mistake as not-native english player. o.o
    I removed the mistake.
    You should read, how certain native english player write on Phoenix. Your face wouldn't stop burning.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyclia; 10-23-2017 at 01:26 AM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    The merc thing is rather annoying to me too, but I feel that it's in large part symptomatic of the HP scaling in Geas Fete discouraging players from trying to tackle the higher end mobs with larger groups than the barest minimum possible. I know that I could scrape up a full alliance of decent+ players in decent+ gear who'd love to clear out the stuff that mercs deal with, but it's going to be a near mathematical impossibility to down things w/ 18man worth of NM HP when everyone is not geared enough to carry their own weight (well over double the 6man baseline HP at that point.) The only other content that you are going to see merc'ing around is Omen, which is something that is impossible to succeed solo at with highly desirable drops. I doubt that is going to be much different on other servers, just less frequent since there are fewer players around.
    This merc thing is just supply and demand + player demographics. There are large amount of new or returning player pick Asura as their server after reading about it being the biggest on public forums. There are also large amount of player thats not in top end endgame linkshell transfer to Asura because they don't have a group to kill things, so "Transfer to Asura" becomes an easy and fast way to solve their problem. This kind of players, in general, has less experience in endgame setting because of their background: you get endgame experience by actually doing endgame, so if you're not in endgame LS you won't have the experience.

The result is that, you have this 1600+ people server with very high percentage of player that's not part of top end endgame community, nor have the experience/connection/reputation/understanding of FFXI core mechanics to get in. They don't have a reliable high end group/ls to kill things for their gears and more or less have to resort to buy gears.

On the other hand, the top end endgame community are much smaller (as percentage, not actual numbers) because many of these groups also merc for gil with tons of potential buyers. The nature of merc is that you only take absolute bare minimum of people for maximum profit. If you can kill T4 with 4~6 real player and split income 4 ways, there are 0 reason to take 18 people and make less gil per run.

Because of that, many high end merc groups only recruit people that carries more "weight" in a group. Such as players with geared mules access, multiple key jobs to merc efficiently like REMA BRD WHM SMN epeo RUN idris. They usually don't recruit people with only 1~2 not meta jobs due to inefficiency for merc.

Some other endgame LS may not actively merc, but they may also end up being full and not very easy to get in since those who can't get into high end merc group joins them. Once you have 18/18 in an alliance you won't be able to fit in anymore people. So the only spaces available are for rare jobs, such as BRD idris WHM high end SMN etc.

In other words, if you're a new/returning/semi casual/less experienced/not so versatile player with only (mediocre) DD geared and leveled, it will be really hard to get into top end endgame groups. Because half of the high end groups merc and keep their numbers at bare minimum for maximum profit, and the other LS are often full and no space for more people. The rest of the players that can't get in has to buy gears and it becomes vicious circle.

Merc is less frequent on smaller servers because:
    1) Smaller servers usually are not top pick for new/returning player/semi casual players, thus less potential buyers to buy gears.
    2) Top end groups on smaller servers generally has more space available because the endgame community is much smaller. So many geared characters gets in a lot more easily, and won't have to worry about lack of groups to kill things, nor they need to buy gears.

I don't think HP scaling is the reason behind merc. Even without HP scaling, merc groups would still run things at bare minimum to maximize profit gain.
    (0)
    Last edited by Afania; 10-30-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Hp scaling has to exist or you end up with a situation like omen where bosses don't scale past 6 people(I think?) and you literally can't wipe to any boss in there with 18 people so the entire even becomes a joke with no challenge. Saw popular FFXIAH posters on streams literally sitting there afk on their pup as the caturae died 100% to 0% contributing zero to the boss, meanwhile they have drops from all the cats.

Omen should've never been unlocked past 6 people.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast