Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Player Hawklaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    243
    Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Halley View Post
    You're kinda missing the point. You're right, but it went over your head.

    It's possible to spend hours riding that boat. And not get pirates. Anything with a random factor is a "no-go".

    Every hour spent TRYING to do something is an hour spent NOT accomplishing something.

    The ratio of "value of key":"effort to obtain key" is WAY to low for Yaaar. Skull/Robe are acceptable ratios if its not crowded. Ram is acceptable even though its NOT nostalgic to make a level 109 Ram required.
    No, I really didn't miss the point. The complaint is basically coming down to being lazy, and expecting the keys to all be freebies. For some crafting on lightsday is just as bad as having to ride the ferry. Or fishing up moat carp.

    I fully expected there to be one for riding the ferry or airship at some point during all of these, seeing as they used to be used somewhat often. Now with all the fast travel options they barely get used. After all, can you name a better way to get new players that may never used the ferries or airships to do so?

    On the random factor, it is entirely possible to go for hours and not get 4 yag necklaces. Not likely, but possible. Any kind of drop related one has the potential to take a long time. The pirates are less random than you think, and more about taking the ferry at the right time. As the few times I have went out of my way for them, I didn't have any problem with encoutering them in 1-2 rides.

    If and only if the pirates was the one for the KI for this set might I agree with it being unacceptable. But for a single key, that often gets junk, not so much.
    (2)

  2. #12
    Player Halley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    232
    Character
    Zeiry
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklaser View Post
    But for a single key, that often gets junk, not so much.
    The whole rest of your statement is wasted typing. This is the only valid point, and the crux of the whole thread.

    It's. A. Waste. Of. Time. An unacceptable amount of time, for an unacceptable reward.
    (0)
    Last edited by Halley; 09-14-2017 at 06:59 AM.

  3. #13
    Player Stompa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Remora
    Posts
    633
    Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    When SE introduced ROE they did say "we don't expect you to do them all" and that is why there is no reward for having finished 800~ different RoE.

    I think this applies to Anniversary ROE too. You're not supposed to do all of them, just the ones that suit you.

    For example the Pirates one, which should have been called "HARRR!" btw ("your parrot flies away!"), is probably aimed at Fishing people who like to ride the ferry and catch fish.

    In 2004, I got fishing 100, mostly from riding on the Ship, and in the time it took me to get that level, I was able to solo Blackbeard and Silverhook on my WHM/NIN, I solo'd them probably 50 times total, and died around 20 times. But I was able to get both clubs on whm75 solo, around 2005, and I had got fishing 100 at the same time!

    Anyway, Pirates can go back to back numerous times, you can have a string of Pirates attacks, or you can have zero for entire Earth days, or any random number between those two extremes. Supposedly it is tied to seasons, and you can see the ship leaving Norg, etc. but really it seems to be random to me.

    If you are multitasking FFXI and work (like me!) then there is a way to do your RL work or Netflix or w/e etc. and you can still know if your ship has pirates, without having to stand waiting on deck for the whole journey. When you watch the ship leaving port Cutscene, if pirates are going to attack, the next thing you see is your Chatlog loading, with a black screen above it. Normally your chatlog will load with the cabin and your character, but when pirates attack, you get a few seconds of black screen and chatlog loading.

    This is how it was in 2004~2011, so I assume they haven't changed it since then.

    And if you are multitasking, you can just ride the boat, and check that black screen chatlog, and if there's no pirates, you can just go back to your work or w/e you're doing.

    On the subject of keys in general. We often hear stories about people who buy countless thousands of lottery tickets, fifty on a single day, etc. and they never win a single prize. Then there's the person who buys one single ticket and wins the biggest prize in the lottery, with their first and only ticket. This is how I approach FFXI gobbie keys. If it is "your lucky day" then you are going to obtain a really nice prize with one single key, but if it is not your lucky day, then it doesn't matter if you throw a hundred keys at it, you still won't get lucky.
    (3)
    Last edited by Stompa; 09-14-2017 at 08:24 AM.

  4. #14
    Player Hawklaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    243
    Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Halley View Post
    The whole rest of your statement is wasted typing. This is the only valid point, and the crux of the whole thread.

    It's. A. Waste. Of. Time. An unacceptable amount of time, for an unacceptable reward.
    And by this statement one can also conclude all the keys even the really simple ones like get Signet or eat a grape are worthless wastes of time too. Except the problem is the keys have the chance to get items that can take people months of time to get normally, or from content that would take them months to even be able to participate without being carried through it as a total leech. If you are geared enough, that you don't need anything from the keys, why bother getting any at all? After all, why waste any time on what is worthless junk to you, even if its a few seconds to go get signet? So you have a little task to do some random things related to varied things in the games history, for a chance to potentially bypass months of farming or content, and yet want to complain the time investment isn't worth it. But yet, if someone else manages to get something like an Omen body from them, complaints go up about that too because it wasn't to someone that was deemed worthy of having it.

    So evidently to some degree they are worth it to you and/or feel entitled to all of the keys enough raise complaints when they are not super easy to get like getting signet.
    (2)

  5. #15
    Player Halley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    232
    Character
    Zeiry
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Signet is something you already do. The npc that sells grapes is someone you already talk to every day. The curio moogle is someone you already see every day. The ram is already at the place where you enter riesen anyway. None of those are wasted time.

    You're missing the whole point, and being stupid just for the sake of being stupid. I get it.

    I'll eli5 it for you, in simple terms.

    Reward:Effort exists in everything you do.
    5 Seconds for garbage, not a big deal. 5 Minutes for garbage, irritating. An hour for garbage, unacceptable under all circumstances.

    Either remove ALL consumables and anything that can stack to at least make keys 1% less garbage, or make keys progressive. Once you've gotten *item you can never get it again.
    (0)
    Last edited by Halley; 09-14-2017 at 10:33 AM.

  6. #16
    Player Aysha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    405
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    The whole point of this thread, is that Pirates are ridiculously hard to come across at times, and to set it as a weekly quest is a bit over-the-top.

    I'm not trying to be lazy here, I'm not trying to say that I am unwilling to put some work in it, but let's face it. Pirates is 99% waiting and doing nothing while having the game run in the background.

    Did FFXI REALLY need more "AFK Content"? We already have enough of it, we sure didn't need more.

    Though, it WOULD be nice if they were to increase the pirate encounter rate if someone on the ship has the RoE Objective set, then we could at least use this quest to get Sand Charms to FINALLY get past that stupid quest.
    (0)

  7. #17
    Player Hawklaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    243
    Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Halley View Post
    Signet is something you already do. The npc that sells grapes is someone you already talk to every day. The curio moogle is someone you already see every day. The ram is already at the place where you enter riesen anyway. None of those are wasted time.
    And you are in Mhaura how often due to Ambuscade? Is it really that hard to notice the ferry in port around the only time the pirates can show up? (same times as normal undead if you didn't know, ferry doesn't always line up with it well thanks to a portion of arrival/departure that prevents spawns) And then get on board for a couple of minutes between activities before using use one of the varied unlimited warp items to go do something else once see if pirates spawned on that trip?

    Really its no worse than checking the moon phase for the full moon fountain to visit it during the correct time, which I can see being a possible one in the future as well. They could have always have used goofy NM spawns like when airship passes overhead, or during specific weather instead of something that only takes paying a little attention when in a place most frequent on a daily basis. Or any other more annoying things than watching for the large ferry boat lining up with night.

    Sorry, that all your anniversary lotto keys don't come on a silver platter. As I don't expect any of the future ones to get any easier than the first batch, in fact I expect them to be even harder than the ones being complained about now. Remember the fun of climbing the crag in Attowah Chasm? I would not be surprised if one tied to that happens.
    (4)

  8. #18
    Player Vold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    891
    Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Please don't doom us by giving them such ideas. I spent enough time climbing that nightmare ._.
    (0)


    Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

  9. #19
    Player Aysha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    405
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vold View Post
    Please don't doom us by giving them such ideas. I spent enough time climbing that nightmare ._.
    Nowadays, you only have to do it once thanks to the waypoint up there.
    (0)

  10. #20
    Player Halley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    232
    Character
    Zeiry
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklaser View Post
    And you are in Mhaura how often due to Ambuscade? Is it really that hard to notice the ferry in port around the only time the pirates can show up? (same times as normal undead if you didn't know, ferry doesn't always line up with it well thanks to a portion of arrival/departure that prevents spawns) And then get on board for a couple of minutes between activities before using use one of the varied unlimited warp items to go do something else once see if pirates spawned on that trip?

    Really its no worse than checking the moon phase for the full moon fountain to visit it during the correct time, which I can see being a possible one in the future as well. They could have always have used goofy NM spawns like when airship passes overhead, or during specific weather instead of something that only takes paying a little attention when in a place most frequent on a daily basis. Or any other more annoying things than watching for the large ferry boat lining up with night.

    Sorry, that all your anniversary lotto keys don't come on a silver platter. As I don't expect any of the future ones to get any easier than the first batch, in fact I expect them to be even harder than the ones being complained about now. Remember the fun of climbing the crag in Attowah Chasm? I would not be surprised if one tied to that happens.
    The ONLY time you go to Mhuara is after you join a party, making them wait while you get on the boat is a douchebag move, so I can see why you'd think it's standard. Douchebags can never tell they're being douchebags.

    You can see the moonphase 100% of the time without even putting in commands, so NO, it's not even remotely the same.

    Nothing in XI is hard, just tedious. And waste of time.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast