Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22

Hello! New White Mage!

I decided to play FFXI yesterday and downloaded game. I made an Elvaan White Mage. I read a few guides on the graphics settings and have the running great after editing the Registry. The controls will take a bit of getting used to, as I am an old Everquest player.

The uniqueness of this game is appealing, so will play it for some time I think.

I am looking for some new player guides on what quests to do that are important and maybe will reward needed items. All White Mage leveling advice is appreciated. The guides I have found seem good, but I am not sure what guides are current and relevant to the game as it is today. Not so much interested in leveling fast, but leveling well.

Any suggestions and help are welcome! Playing on Asura and started in San D'Oria.
    (2)
    Last edited by Lukasha; 09-11-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Check the FFXIAH job guide. I haven't checked it recently but you can always check the more recent posts for equipment sets.
    (2)

Player
    I reccomend: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana'diel even though you're not technically a returning player.
    (2)

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Selindrile, thanks will do!
    (0)

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Detlef, will find that, thanks!
    (0)

Character
    Vashkoda
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasha View Post
    I made an Elvaan White Mage. ... I am looking for some new player guides on what quests to do that are important and maybe will reward needed items. All White Mage leveling advice is appreciated. The guides I have found seem good, but I am not sure what guides are current and relevant to the game as it is today. Not so much interested in leveling fast, but leveling well. Any suggestions and help are welcome! Playing on Asura and started in San D'Oria.
    The old community reps made a Twitch video about the changes the game went through recently. It's mostly for players who are already level 99, but some stuff still applies to early levels: https://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxi/v/101944408

It's pretty brave of you to pick WHM as your starting job, as it can be stressful to play. Unless you stumble upon players on Asura who are willing to teach you the ropes and let you practice with them, you will likely be doing most of your early leveling with trust NPCs. Trusts perform ok as tanks, support, and healers, but are really horrible at dealing damage, especially when compared to actual players. That means that you may have to rely on your character to do a good chunk of the damage, and that can be pretty rough at early WHM levels when your gear and weapons simply aren't designed with melee'ing in mind. Even so, you will have to spend a fair amount of time curing and buffing your trusts to keep your healing and enhancing magic skill levels up to where they should be. It's unfortunate that leveling up in parties isn't popular any more, as it would also be a good way for you to learn things to watch out for (debuffs and what spells can counter them, conserving mp, which bar- spells protect against what) and what not to do (forgetting to cast reraise, using inefficient cure spells, gaining too much enmity from the mob, etc). When you do finally hit 99 and start getting invited to events, you also risk becoming overwhelmed by the sheer number of things that people expect you do know and be good at. There will be little room for error, as a win or loss may entirely depend upon how well you can keep up with what's happening to 5 other people (if you're lucky, you might only need to keep tabs on the tank, but sometimes you still need to juggle doing three things at once). For this reason, many people don't enjoy playing WHM, but that is also why they are somewhat in demand. WHM is a job that has managed to find an essential role in almost every situation. But just be aware that when you do get invited, expectations will be high.
    (2)

Character
    Justuas
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    You might wanna level up thf for treasure hunter and war and nin for abyssea red procs too. You can level up all the jobs to 99 on the same character in this game if you want.
    (2)

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Vashkoda, Yes, I think (not sure) I am aware of the leveling slow and harder with White mage. I played a Cleric and Druid in EQ so know about healing agro, having to heal the dps who draws agro and keeping Main Tank alive and buffed,etc. I will have a steep learning curve to climb as I am brand new to this game, and the mechanics are completely different..but..that is what makes it fun!!

Sounds like the Trust NPC's are like Mercenaries in EQ.

I understand that there are those that will expect you to know all about a class when you get to 99, even if new, we have those people in EQ too, but frankly, I am not concerned about them, playing for fun. Thanks for the tips.
    (0)
    Last edited by Lukasha; 09-12-2017 at 05:40 AM.

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Justuas, I am still trying to wrap my head around how jobs work in this game, it is different than what I originally thought, and unique to this game it seems. See... I don't know what Treasure Hunter is or what that means, or abyssea red procs even . I was not aware you could level all jobs to 99 on a single character, that is new to my mind. So you can twitch jobs at will? This is something I will have to learn it seems. I was aware you have a secondary job (may be called something else). Much to learn!!
    (0)

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    At 18 you can unlock your subjob. And its level is the lesser of 1/2 your main job or what you have the job leveled to. As to changing jobs, just have to go to nearest Mog House or nomad moogle to do that, and can unlock the advanced jobs starting at lv 30, some are easier than others to do at that level.

The whm hammers are actually pretty decent for their level to melee with. And leveling isn't that bad anymore. Best advice is find a field/grounds tome with a training regime for mobs can kill at a decent pace and in decent numbers for the bonus xp by completing the pages. Grounds tomes are prefered due to xp scaling up as complete repeatedly, as well as receiving prowess buffs.

Treasure hunter is just extra loot drop chances. And the procs, dont worry about much yet but basics is hitting the enemy with a pseudo-weakness to temporarily cause things like stun, silence, or disable their weapon skills.
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast