Character
    Dromity
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 71

Thinking about coming back..

Where to begin? Almost as challenging as debating whether or not to dive into FFXI again but anyway here goes. So originally I began playing FFXI soon after launch and it was my first foray into MMOs (Though certainly not gaming in general) – I played fairly regularly until about 2007 but, apart from a brief solo stint about 4 years ago I haven’t been back. Now, after watching a few youtube videos I’ve been feeling nostalgic and I want to give it another go. I know a lot has changed; the difficulty was one of the things originally that made it worthwhile. Everything you achieved felt like you had overcome a huge hurdle. I wasn’t a great player (I’m still not so soloing stuff isn’t a problem) but I miss being part of a friendly community. So, I have a few questions; One, should I come back and which server should I roll on/transfer to? (Currently on Phoenix I think) Two, should I roll a completely new character or stick with my main? Three, would I find a friendly linkshell (Guild, whatever – can’t remember the terms>.<) to adopt an aging gamer (And occasional RPer) who has spent too much time soloing in the virtual gaming universe of late?
    That about covers it I think – hopefully someone will be able to steer me in the right direction. Oh, and not sure that it matters but I’m based in the UK.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    {Hmm}. The usual stock advice you are going to get, is to go to Asura. If you're going to do that, I suggest doing it quickly because transfers are cheap until the morning of the 31st. Asura is the most populous server indeed, and you are more likely to find social interaction, linkshells, etc there.

I've never been on Asura myself, but that's what everybody suggests doing. I recommend you sticking with your main; getting up to 99 as a new character is not impossible, but yet I don't know if there'd be all that much to gain by re-rolling. You could, however, piddle around with a mule if you want to experience early-game again, or even a new Lv1 job (as there are many jobs that were probably added since you last played).

I got a new player walkthrough over on FFXIclopedia that is almost complete which should help you get into the game easily. It's a gradual thing, and it starts off with basic stuff and eases into new stuff instead of giving a huge info dump all at once like other guides do.

Either way, I hope you have fun!
    (1)

Character
    Dromity
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 71
    Many thanks for the advice Aysha and I'll definitely start by checking out the walkthrough
    (0)

Character
    Justuas
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    (1)

Character
    Dromity
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 71
    Thanks I'll be sure to check that out too
    (0)

Character
    Hirosaan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 65
    I just read the title, sorry.

I am a returning player. You should definitely join up again. This game is the absolute best.
    (1)

Character
    Dromity
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 71
    Thanks and I agree - I'm back and loving it mainly though pretty sure I should look at changing servers. But definitely good to be back
    (0)