Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Esmrambo
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Fishing skill increase

Is it still possible to get fishing skillups?
    When I am level 65 and catching level 86 and level 90 fish and get no skillups on the first 30 fish I catch I begin to think that SE hates fishing as a craft!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (0)

Yes, it's possible. I've gone up 10 levels in the last two weeks or so.

If you do not have them, I recommend: Pelican Ring and using the "Fisherman's Feast" food.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Also this sounds counter-intuitive (because it is, lol) but fishing stuff 20+ skill above your level is worse than catching something 1-10 skill above your level, despite whether or not you can succeed at the mini-game.
    (0)

Character
    Esmrambo
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I use Fisherman's Feast, caught 16 fish 36 levels above mine with no skillups. What is wrong with this? Every other crafting it seems you have to go for several levels above your current to get skill
    ups.
    (0)

Character
    Esmrambo
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    My fishing is level 72, What should I catch? I get no skillups on Armored Pisces (108) or Ahtapot (86).
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by esmrambo View Post
    I use Fisherman's Feast, caught 16 fish 36 levels above mine with no skillups. What is wrong with this? Every other crafting it seems you have to go for several levels above your current to get skill
    ups.
    You are also very unlikely to get a skillup on synths too far above your level. 36 over is probably just beyond the "proper" target range.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    My fishing is level 72, What should I catch? I get no skillups on Armored Pisces (108) or Ahtapot (86).
    Step 1: Go to the Fishing Guild.
    Step 2: Ask one of the people there who offer guild support "what can I catch?"
    Step 3: Look up where/how you get that fish.
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit!

I did this as a 63 fisher and they suggested Bladefish (69), Crescent Fish (66), and I forget what else.

I chose Crescent Fish to start with because it was slightly lower level and I was a bit rusty at fishing. Got 0.5 in ~30 catches without Pelican Ring or Food. Just Angler's Clothes, Fisher's Rope and Waders with a Lu Shang's.

Stop aiming so high above your level. You want 5-10 above your level.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Stick to fish within a closer level range.. Ie: 5-7 levels from your current level.
    (0)

Character
    Esmrambo
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    well, catching Tavnazian Goby and get a .1 about 1/10 catches at fishing 72.
    SE hates fishing!
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    well, catching Tavnazian Goby and get a .1 about 1/10 catches at fishing 72.
    SE hates fishing!
    1-in-10 seems reasonable. If you wanted better, you could get a Pelican Ring. Dunno about Fenrir, but on Sylph, the previous fishing tourney had 0 winners (which means nobody even submitted a fish). Landing within the top 20 should be easysauce. In fact, you could turn in a fish with each mule and probably get multiple rings.

Best thing to do is head on over to FFXIclopedia or similar and see how you can best "weed out" the junk catches (fishes that you are not after). On FFXIclopedia, there will be an asterisk (*) beside the "best setup" bait, which will result in the fewest unwanted catches.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast