Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kylos
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Looking For More Players On Cerberus.

I left feedback on this subject a few months ago in the Cerberus sub-forum. My linkshell remains a small group of players. On a server which averages 200-300 players in EU and NA time, we have defeated difficult content together for over two years. However, there are some fights we simply can't find the right setup of players and jobs. Many of us have jobs mastered, and afterglow REMs, but there's a lack of tanks, healers, and niche jobs like Rune Fencer/Red Mage which are geared and have buff items like vorseals from Escha.

I'm at a loss, because I believe I've done everything I can to get players we need online at the gather time with the right preparation. When we do anything big, I announce it a week in advance and ask everyone if they will be present. I reach out to the community and let others know what we're looking for; in case we're going to have spots available. Before an event we might have a no-show or two, so I turn to the server and no one's free to help. It leaves the event ruined as I ask around to no avail. We waste half the night trying to put an alliance together, but ultimately we know it's not enough. You need strong DDs, great buffers, solid healers, and efficient tanks. I do my best to make sure we have everything, but there's not enough choice.

The problem is I don't want to leave this server to find players, as it means I'll have to leave my friends. I can't expect them to jump with me. We enjoy being here, there's just not enough players who need it or will help out. I'm going to keep working hard to make this group capable of beating the hardest content in the game. I will keep reaching out, but it's frustrating. I don't like to say we can't try something because we don't have a good enough setup. If anything would reassure me, it would be acknowledgement of the low server numbers; notably at EU and NA times on Cerberus and possibly other servers. I feel like if we are paying for a service, we should be getting the MMO experience. We have 17 active servers and I'm guessing at least two others are in a similar state. Does Square Enix have any plans for the servers who are struggling to maintain a healthy population?

My group runs on Tuesdays at 10pm BST 5pm EST time for a few hours every week. We may do events on other days, depending on the monthly campaigns. The group is small, but we work well together and always looking to do Omen, Geas Fete, Ambuscade, and other events if people need it. We have two Idris Geos, and plenty of melee power, so we're looking for tanks, healers, other jobs like Run, Rdm, and anything else which may help. We usually give treasure to whoever needs it most, but in most circumstances everything is free lot.

I'm not asking for anything other than a healthier population on Cerberus. I would greatly appreciate acknowledgement of this issue. Thank you. I will try to remain positive.
    (2)
    Last edited by Kylos; 08-23-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Character
    Kukiki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I'm on the same boat in Carbuncle server. We have a group and are starting to handle big events but the population is low and people keep leaving and others return. I'm also forced to do events at 2-4 am because otherwise we would not have enough people and I can only do that friday and saturday.

Most of the times you can't just fill the right group for endgame. While I was against world merge when it happened, right now I wish they would merge the low population ones. I'm not asking for the population they have in Asura but at least enough people so you can shout for a CP party and actually get a member or two.
    (1)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Everyone is heading to Asura. I wish I did sooner than I did, as I came from Fenrir which had similar populations numbers to what you have mentioned.

Most of the people I played with on Fenrir are slowly but surely crossing over as it is just not viable to play on servers with such population of 250-300. It's a hard decision to make for a lot of people, as they have an nostalgic/emotional attachment to that particular server. Times have, however, changed...

Make the move and convince your friends to come, especially as it is the discount campaign. There is no point waiting for server mergers which may or may not happen.
    (0)

Character
    Kylos
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I remain on Cerberus for the sake of our friends. I can't force them to transfer. If we transferred we could probably find the people to do stuff, but we'd be leaving others on their lonesome. I would feel bad running around getting all these things done while the people I brought up through Vagary, Geas Fete and Omen are sat there on the quietest server with no leader. I'm not selfish like that. I'm not in any major rush to get an Aeonic, if I was I'd have been on another server (not Asura ..) a couple of years ago. I continue to prove we can get things done on this server, even if it is difficult.

But it's cool .. my linkshell understands I'm doing everything I can to make a group which can do the hardest content on one of the quietest servers. It's not about being the #1 LS on the server. Hell, it's not even about farming 10 Aeonics for something to do. We do this for the fun, and if it takes a little longer we'll have to endure the hardships and celebrate even harder when we make breakthroughs. I don't have any sentiment to the server itself, I only ever cared about staying on Hades as it was the nicest server around even if it had a low population to the point it was deactivated. It was tough in 2009 before the merge .. but it didn't stop our enjoyment.
    (0)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    On a small server like that, you should consider multi-boxing. How much easier would your Kouryu runs be if you had a pocket BRD, COR, or GEO? It's really hard to get exactly the right people on the right jobs if you don't have mule accounts available to you.
    (0)

Character
    Kylos
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    We have mules available to us, but I personally can't multi-box as I don't have the money or space to buy multiple desktops, multiple screens, and maintain multiple accounts. Unless someone's willing to buy all that for me? I don't think they will. We have a couple of players with pocket buffers, but it's not enough when you can't find a reliable tank, or the healer who said would be there doesn't show up. We have players to do the content, it's just getting them on at the same time. Also, I don't know a single Rune Fencer or Red Mage on this server. So no amount of mules are going to replace a well geared RUN or RDM.

Why does it feel like everyone suggests multi boxing or moving server? Instead of realizing we can't do that and have to beat this game where we are, with who we have? There's no other option available to us. It's up to SE to give us a healthier population so we don't have to spend tons of money to multi box. We shouldn't have to spend extra money so we can server transfer and leave half our group behind. It's easy for those who can afford to multi box, or don't care if they leave people behind (or their friends are cool with jumping), but what about those who have worked hard for years to make a reliable group? Do we get ignored by SE because they think we should put real money into getting a better experience? It's up to the company providing the product to ensure we get what we pay for, and at the moment we are not getting a service which provides choices.

At the end of the day .. it doesn't matter what server you are on, we should have choices. It's up to Square Enix to ensure each server has a healthy enough population so someone can set up an event and get enough players to do it without the use of mules. Most high end content requires 6-12 players, you don't need much more than that. But you can't bring mule whms .. you need real healers. You need real tanks. You need real DD. You can buff everyone to the extreme with an army of mules .. but if the DD ain't getting cured properly because one of the DD is trying to multi box his WHM at the same time it's going to fail. Anyways .. I remain here, trying my best for the people we have. And we ain't leaving, even if it can be frustrating.
    (3)
    Last edited by Kylos; 08-24-2017 at 04:33 AM.

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    On a small server like that, you should consider multi-boxing. How much easier would your Kouryu runs be if you had a pocket BRD, COR, or GEO? It's really hard to get exactly the right people on the right jobs if you don't have mule accounts available to you.
    Not everybody feels like paying $30+ per month (and that's only if you multi-box ONE mule, each is yet another $15).

And then, you would need to buy a Seekers Edition License for each, so that's like what again, $30-40 upfront? So if I wanted to multi-box 3 characters, that's plunking down $120 and then my ~$50 per month in sub fees.

I just don't have that kind of disposable income, lol. I have some, but not that much.

And that's not counting the hardware to do it. I have 2 computers in my gaming room and one in my bedroom, sure... but not everybody has that, or have the room, or are even willing to get that many computers running the game.

And also this whole "GO TO ASURA!" thing.... *sigh* you realize you guys are making the problem worse, right? We shouldn't be encouraging everybody to all pile on the same server. Asura already has problems with crowding whenever campaigns come up and during Ambuscade, do we really want to add to the problems? We SHOULD be trying to encourage people to balance the other servers out some.

That, and I've heard from multiple people that Asura has problems with lesser-skilled players who barely even know how to play the game. Sure you could fill a party chomping at the bit to go to Omen... but chances are, more than half the group can't hack the content because they have pretty much no knowledge of how this game actually works. They were PL'd to 99, and have almost no knowledge of stuff like skillchain+MB, aggro, enmity, or what their stats/equipment even do.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aysha; 08-24-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Well, it's something you can do that isn't moving to Asura. Multi-box or don't, I don't care. I'm just providing a possible solution that works for my friends and me on our podunk server.
    (0)

Character
    Kukiki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I've never been a fan of multiboxing but it's true I see many people on these servers do that.

My problem with multiboxing is that I completely refuse to use 3rd party tools and FFXI doesn't support multiple instances. The only time I got myself multiboxing was once I decided to try the game in a VMWare virtual machine but the game didn't run too smooth, and a second computer is not allways an option.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkValefor View Post
    I've never been a fan of multiboxing but it's true I see many people on these servers do that.

My problem with multiboxing is that I completely refuse to use 3rd party tools and FFXI doesn't support multiple instances. The only time I got myself multiboxing was once I decided to try the game in a VMWare virtual machine but the game didn't run too smooth, and a second computer is not allways an option.
    Yeah, I feel the same way -- I avoid 3rd party software like the plague. One, I don't want some fluke happen where I'd blab about it and get caught and get axed, and two I just don't believe that one should need to do that to enjoy the game.

Back when I played WoW before Blizz killed it, I played a minimalist mod setup too, only using mods that made Quality of Life changes (such as Titan Panel), and I did my best to steer away from mods that made actual gameplay changes. I just don't believe in the practice, to be honest.

Now, I *can* do a two computer setup, but the problem with that is, A). one of those computers is not mine, and B). I could only do it while family member isn't playing, and C). if I were to dual-box.... why not just ask my family member to be a human player and come along with me? Problem is, 2 players is still below the minimum for a lot of endgame stuff, which is sad because they allow 3 players to do some stuff, but not 2.

Apparently, SE doesn't believe in couples who enjoy playing with each other, that they think that couples want to bring along a third person or something, lol. We could use more content that is duo-able to be honest, for people who have SOs that they want to get in-game with. Just the two of them.
    (0)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast