Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Writing a Walk-Through Guide for New Players -- Opinions sought.

I don't know if there's anything against linking to guides or self-promotion (not really trying to promote it as I have nothing to actually gain from such work), but I've started typing up a Walkthrough for the New Player.

This walkthrough is intended to make the game as easy to learn as possible, to give them a very clear, cut and dry path with almost zero confusion to get from Level 1 to Level 99 and teach them most of what they need to know on the way there, so that they have everything or have access to everything that they need, so that when they ding Level 99, they are ready to grab Vana'diel by the horns so to speak.

Here's the Guide:

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/2...rough_by_Aysha

It is still a WIP, and thus far I've covered up to Level 50 and Genkai 2.

If I've missed anything major, or if there's something I left out, or even opinions about the format/layout of the thing would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    (2)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    That's a "Returning to Vana'diel" type thing. It is not aimed at brand-new players.

The purpose of my guide is to provide clear and concise directions in such a way to avoid information overload/confusion (there's a LOT of stuff in FFXI and it can be confusing to a brand-new player, lol) for the brand-new player who has never touched FFXI before. The article you linked would confuse the crap out of somebody who's never played the game before I'd think.

But the guide you linked is good for those who once played a long time ago, sure. No arguments there.

EDIT: So I scrolled down through that, and LOL. They say that Voidwalker NMs are "useless"... well, except for the fact you are required to do the 3 nation ones if you want the Magian weaponskills (like Rudra's Storm, Chant du Cygne, etc). Oops. Someone should edit that in.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aysha; 08-12-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    That's a "Returning to Vana'diel" type thing. It is not aimed at brand-new players.

The purpose of my guide is to provide clear and concise directions in such a way to avoid information overload/confusion (there's a LOT of stuff in FFXI and it can be confusing to a brand-new player, lol) for the brand-new player who has never touched FFXI before. The article you linked would confuse the crap out of somebody who's never played the game before I'd think.

But the guide you linked is good for those who once played a long time ago, sure. No arguments there.

EDIT: So I scrolled down through that, and LOL. They say that Voidwalker NMs are "useless"... well, except for the fact you are required to do the 3 nation ones if you want the Magian weaponskills (like Rudra's Storm, Chant du Cygne, etc). Oops. Someone should edit that in.
    You only need to mess w/ Voidwalker NMs if you are actually working on the actual Empyrean weapon (like Twashtar, Almace, etc). You DO need to mess with Voidwatch NMs if you are trying to unlock the WS for use w/o the Empyrean weapon tho. Blame SE for making two things that sound almost identical.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Looking good so far. One suggestion for later if possible, have links at the start of the guide so one can hop to relevant parts for what they are doing latter.

I might suggest Upper Delkfut's Tower instead of Garlaige for 35-50 once one has gotten to Jueno, and the mobs should all be DC or lower unless wander farther up. It has a nice Grounds Tome of kill 6 gigas, and have to make the climb up there for Nation Quests anyways. First time getting up there can be a pain, but once have the KI for the elevator its a pretty easy return trip.

Since the Grounds tomes were added, I have preferred using them over the field ones for leveling due to the stacking buffs and the xp bonus that accrues from multiple completions. I tend to do Korroloka Tunnel from ~20-33, Upper Delkfuts from 33-50, Garlaige from 50-when I feel like can take Antica, and then its Quicksand Caves (western altepa J-9 entrance) from there up until 90(It works til 99 but slows down a lot post 75). Some other options for leveling along the way if people want to mix things up.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklaser View Post
    Looking good so far. One suggestion for later if possible, have links at the start of the guide so one can hop to relevant parts for what they are doing latter.

I might suggest Upper Delkfut's Tower instead of Garlaige for 35-50 once one has gotten to Jueno, and the mobs should all be DC or lower unless wander farther up. It has a nice Grounds Tome of kill 6 gigas, and have to make the climb up there for Nation Quests anyways. First time getting up there can be a pain, but once have the KI for the elevator its a pretty easy return trip.

Since the Grounds tomes were added, I have preferred using them over the field ones for leveling due to the stacking buffs and the xp bonus that accrues from multiple completions. I tend to do Korroloka Tunnel from ~20-33, Upper Delkfuts from 33-50, Garlaige from 50-when I feel like can take Antica, and then its Quicksand Caves (western altepa J-9 entrance) from there up until 90(It works til 99 but slows down a lot post 75). Some other options for leveling along the way if people want to mix things up.
    Hmm. I will have to take a look at Delkfutt's. It's been awhile since I've leveled there, and I know I don't really like sending people to Garlaige, but it's the only place I really know of in that level range with "easy" mob types like Beetles and Single Bats that's also in a Grounds Tome area with minimal travel. It's a suggestion I'll look into.

That or I will mention in the guide that there are other places to go to level? Not sure yet. I will keep that in mind.

And there is a jump -- the contents list at the beginning of the guide will send you to each chapter when clicked, though a couple of the chapters I could rename to make it easier and/or add more chapters to make jumping easier.

Sadly I'm somewhat of a wiki editing newbie.

RE:Voidwalker/Voidwatch/Voidwhatevers: Yeah, SE ... kinda made things confusing there. My bad, lol.
    (0)

Character
    Alteva
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Just made an account to say thank you for the walk through so far. The information about game configuration and inventory management at the beginning was especially helpful to me as someone who knew nothing about the game going in as a lot of the other resources I've seen skip ahead to Records of Eminence and leveling spots.
    So thank you for helping to smooth out my experience in XI.
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alteva View Post
    Just made an account to say thank you for the walk through so far. The information about game configuration and inventory management at the beginning was especially helpful to me as someone who knew nothing about the game going in as a lot of the other resources I've seen skip ahead to Records of Eminence and leveling spots.
    So thank you for helping to smooth out my experience in XI.
    Cool!

I'm glad you like it. I'm actually amazed that someone has found it already (it isn't even done yet, lol! I just added a huge section onto it today), and yeah I try to start from the ground-up, as it is aimed at absolute newbies.

I also thank you for giving this game a chance. It's a game with a lot of history behind it, and some of its systems and such will feel archaic, but there's a huge mountain of sentimentality behind it, and I hope that in time, you can see the charm that we see, and I hope that my guide will help you get to that point where you can get comfortable and not be so confused.

Another thing I see other guides doing, is going "OK, you can start the game, get levels and then do ________" and they will give you a metric ton of information about content that is either out-dated, or way out of the way that you'd probably never bump into on your way up to 99 and it would only serve to confuse you with too many terms to try to remember.

I decided to instead provide a no-frills "This is how you get to 99 and I will tell you what you need to know as you get there to avoid confusion with stuff you don't need to know yet".

I hope you continue to enjoy it, and I hope it will help you get there.
    (0)

Player
    Trust me, you don't want Honest opinions.

The only Honest opinion you'll get is mine; "You're in the top 10 last people I would take any game advice from".
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Halley View Post
    Trust me, you don't want Honest opinions.

The only Honest opinion you'll get is mine; "You're in the top 10 last people I would take any game advice from".
    Wow, that's... pretty rude. I don't understand what I did to you, that you would say such things, especially as this is your first post here and you don't even play on the same server I do. But... okay, I'm sorry you feel that way.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast