Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Kukiki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I see you mention some interesting configs that in my opinion are very interesting and some returning players might not even know like the status timers.

I would add /partyinfo showtp on as it's very useful.for those of us who don't play with windower.

I would also mention either a 2 window configuration, which I don't use but many people I play with seem to like, or putting the party chat on hold so you never miss any chats when participating in linkshell events. Yes, a starter player will probably not do anything in a party for a long time, but to me those configs are good to do right as you start so you can get used to them over time.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    These are good suggestions, thanks!

Yeah, that 2 window thing is confusing to me, and I tried using it and it was "eh". I can see the appeal behind it, but yet at the same time I doubt it is something a newbie wants to mess around with just yet.

The "Hold" thing, though, I can see what you're saying there.
    (0)

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22

Good guide so far

You may want to go though on the section "Before doing anything else" and provide more detail. Maybe this changed in a recent update or something dunno, I am brand new to this game. Took me a long time to find where the Key Assignments were actually located and where Background Aspect ratio could be changed.

I still have not found how to get to a Config 1 or a Config 2 menu and change the Status Effect Duration or Target Status Effect Display.

Thanks for the guide, just offering a perspective from a brand new player on where I have been in the guide so far.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasha View Post
    You may want to go though on the section "Before doing anything else" and provide more detail. Maybe this changed in a recent update or something dunno, I am brand new to this game. Took me a long time to find where the Key Assignments were actually located and where Background Aspect ratio could be changed.

I still have not found how to get to a Config 1 or a Config 2 menu and change the Status Effect Duration or Target Status Effect Display.

Thanks for the guide, just offering a perspective from a brand new player on where I have been in the guide so far.
    I explained the Config 1 or Config 2 thing, I thought? Or maybe I explained the Menu 1/Menu 2 somewhere else and somehow put it in the wrong section... that could be. I need to add images and such anyways.

Hit the "-" key on the number keypad to bring up Menu 1.

Hit it again to bring up Menu 2.

In there, you should see a "Config 1" "Config 2" etc.

The background stuff... I will likely link wiki's article on that, as they could explain it far better than I could (it has to do with regedit).
    (0)

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Logged in and used the - key from the num pad twice, but I only have a "Config" as a selectable tab, no 1 or 2. Maybe my UI is different for some reason due to a change I made? That is what I did before, just did it again to make sure I was not having a senior moment earlier ..lol. So basically I see no option to select Config1 or Config2 on the menu, only Config.
    (0)
    Last edited by Lukasha; 09-12-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Character
    Vashkoda
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    The guide looks pretty good, nice job! Just a few additional things I might suggest:

-in your game glossary, adding terms like kite, pull, MB, MH, widescan and muling. Although you describe pulling later on, you never actually call it that

-a few more useful game settings are /partystatus on, /timestamp on, /ignorepet on, ...in fact, you could just reference the reddit page for all of them, including commands like /checkparam: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen...text_commands/

-while I like how your guide actually encourages players to explore zones only when they are ready to actually exp there, you can expect some will want to see the world sooner rather than later. For that reason, it might be good to mention things like sneak oils and powders earlier than you do in the guide, or the importance of setting 'reraise' (the scrolls can be bought with cp, or even given for free by the artisan moogles) and strategic home points for D2/blood warping.

-in the same vein, it might be nice to get players exposed early on to things that accumulate over time. You mention coalition ops late in the guide, but someone could actually activate them much sooner and start on some of the easier ops, like hitting the bivouacs or turning in materials that can be bought off the ah. The exp rewards from these could help jump them several levels very quickly (yet you do make a point of getting players leveling slowly enough that their skill levels aren't crippled. I respect that, but skillbooks are also an option). Also useful to unlock early on to "start the counter" are gobbie chest rewards (once you pass the obligatory wait after creating a new char) and the voidstone accumulation. Also, remind players to turn in their login points before they're lost (the first point I see you mention login points is for the Maat items. Maybe you should mention them sooner, especially as a way to make money and grab new trusts/mounts depending on the month)

-you discouraged players initially from taking the Al Zahbi boat, yet the only way to get mog lockers is to become a mercenary in Aht Urgan. It might be nice to remind players to go there at some point, especially since Beseiged is another place for easy skilling and exp

-While it is nice that you teach players how to get to hard-to-reach places like the Glacier, it is also an option for them to get there via Unity Wanted NM warps (yes, it's cheating them of the scenic route, but you *did* also advocate for them to use the RoV shortcut that gets them to Norg without using the airship, so I know you're flexible in that regard)

-it might be good to mention the NPC in Ru'lede Gardens that manages the waypoints as another quick way to get around. Since you're encouraging players to explore the zones, they might as well be collecting geomagnetic points while they're at it. It also unlocks the weekly quest that refills your kinetic units by 1500.

-finally, a big thing I see missing from your guide is macros and equipment sets. While it's nice that you talk them through how to use mog wardrobes and set up SATAs, using macros and equipment sets is a big boost to their battle efficiency.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2