Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Well, don't assume every BLU is like that.

During the CP campaign, me and family member (BLU+THF respectively), I did nothing but spam Requiescat to open for her RS so that Shantotto would be happy with casting Stone, Water, and Blizzard the whole fight, lol.

In fact, I had to teach her the timing and everything so she could get the hang of it. Worked out much better htan stupid Tenzen screwing stuff up. So we booted Tenzen and got Kupofried in and mobs died faster so we got better XP/hr and then +20% per kill was a nice little cherry on top.

My point in this is, not every BLU is like that. I mean, I wouldn't mind learning the skillchain and hoarding TP to use my WS outside of SC+MB if I had to, or even find some way, regardless of how, to use one of my WS (even equipping a club if I had to) to participate in the skillchain.

Or even not WS at all; if it were to b ea benefit I'd even spam waltz if it meant better performance for the group. Whatever.

Not every BLU tunnel visions 1000% TP CdC.

I do admit, though, that I wish CdC was a better skillchain WS. The SC options just seem so... limited for it despite how effective it can be on its own. But, be that as it may, I'll use other stuff if it will cause more damage in the long run.
    (0)

Character
    Kukiki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I don't want to assume every BLU is like that and in fact I know some BLUs that are simply amazing. But when I was in Asura like 90% of the BLUs I saw were doing that. Nos that I'm back to Carbuncle I hardly ever see that kind of BLU.

But yes, CdC skillchain properties make it particullary hard for THF and DNC because of the Distortion attribute. I had to make a decent Evisceration build to deal with that kind of players, that way I could take advantage of DNC's skillchain bonus.

But Evisceration sucks compared to Pyrrhic Kleos or Rudra's Storm in the same way Requiescat does compared to Chant du Cygne. On Apex Bats, which are weak to piercing my Evisceratiom barely does 10k damage, Pyrrhic Kleos aroumd 20k and Rudra's storm around 70k (stacked).
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Yeah, 99% of bluemages just spam cdc and think it's good even though they're COMPLETELY destroying the parties actual damage and making mobs die slower. Like I said, removing a DD not scing properly or having awful sc properties and replacing them with a trust or a support(yes, a trust is actually more dps than another dd a vast majority of the time) will increase your party dps and kill speed by a lot.

Mighty guard, while being a strong buff, is not worth caring about. It doesn't have 100% uptime so it's automatically completely useless and you should have a brd or geo so you have capped magic haste at all times and not relying on MG. If you're relying on MG to keep magic haste capped your party comp is awful and you need to head to the mogole to change jobs. MG is nice for damage reduction but not worth bringing a blue mage for when you can just bring carols/barspells/rune fencer(aka actual good jobs) which again, have 100% uptime and you should not be relying on a 50% uptime spell for mitigation either. If you're relying on MG for any type of mitigation or haste, as I said, your party comp needs to be adjusted asap, as one single dispel, one too long of a boss fight, some mistakes, etc, and you're probably done as you just lost a huge chunk of your mitigation and haste.

Sword has awful sc properties, making blue even more subpar as a DD. Even if the blue mage isn't spamming cdc, they'll GREATLY nerf their damage as they get no real good tp bonus to take advantage of savage blade and req is an awful, awful, awful weapon skill for dealing damage and they don't have a fusion WS.

I honestly think RDM might be a better DD and sword user than blue mage in proper party comps, but not sure yet. Especially since RDM can use excalibur and have a fusion weapon skill that does ok damage. That's pretty much how bad blue mage is as a DD job.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 08-23-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Well there's also a huge difference between cping and doing pop/instanced fights. And party composition and mob type will make a huge difference. Get other light ws DDs and it's a deal or get so many dds that holding tp for planned skillchains is detrimental. Regardless of the job if you bring a DD and then limit use of their good ws they going to do bad and well blu is definitely a bandwagon job with a lot of meh players

rdms pretty good on paper especially with temper II but still somewhat suffers in the gear department
    (0)
    Last edited by Urmom; 08-24-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Character
    Kukiki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Sometimes when you limit a DD's weapon skill your're actually increasing overall party damage, of course there are a lot of different mobs with different mechanics but I think nowadays people ignore the power of skillchains outside of magic burst damage.

Some enemies resist skillchains, some others absorb the damage, some others take increaaed skillchain damage. But I think some people think BLU is the only solution for almost every battle and that allways bothered me.

I remember once I saw a shout for Bakunawa UNM when I played in Asura, I asked if I could join as a DNC and was told they only wanted BLU. I later on decided to try the fight with a friend and the battle was litterally 5 seconds long, Requiescat > Rudra's Storm and it was dead, I know BLUs are capable of many things but I don't understand people's obsession with BLU only everywhere. Same with Sinister Reign, I couldn't join as DNC because they wanted only BLUs, and seriously, SR is not that hard.

But this kind of stuff has only happened to me in Asura since I came back to Carbuncle people seem a lot more permissive with party setups.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Yeah, that's pretty hilarious honestly, considering blue mage is bottom of the barrel DD as far as being an actual damage dealer goes. It's good at being a jack of all trades, but when you want a mob dead? There's far better jobs, MANY of them, actually. The only jobs worse than it at dealing damage are monk and pup. Like I said, I want to test if RDM is actually better because I honestly think it will be now if the RDM has the new omen accs.

It all comes down to people don't know how to build parties, and support players have no idea how to support, press barspells. haste, or boost spells.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 08-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I think to be honest, a lot of these fights (I'm not talking about CP groups) don't NEED the ridiculous job discrimination you see going on.

You could kill these mobs with a lot of different setups, but it is seemingly forbidden that you take any more than the optimum amount of time and effort to do so. How dare someone invite a BLU when (insert job here) could help kill the thing 30-60 seconds faster... oi.

Is it really necessary?

I liked BLU because of the jack of all trades and it's a good solo job thing. I also remember seeing lots of BLU requested shouts (though there's less of that these days). But after putting the work I did into BLU, it is kinda depressing that people are needlessly discriminating against the job itself. I'm not a player who tunnel visions CdC like I said before, I have Requiescat and I'm more than willing to use it. I might not have Mighty Guard yet (because, yanno, going the entire way through the Abyssea junk takes a lot of freaking time if you're starting out from scratch, especially if you're having trouble remembering what pops what and where and have to constantly alt-tab to a wiki), but I do have other support spells that I am more than willing to use.

The problem I find myself in, though, is that I don't really know anybody and I'm lacking a lot of these pieces of gear. I have all jobs on 99 and I'd be willing to use any of them, but most of them are lacking gear 'cept for Ambuscade Armor (I think I have enough Ambuscade armor on my main that nearly any job could equip it, though it might not be ideal). Weapons are ridiculous to get ahold of (at least ones that are worth your time), and accessories pre-Escha seem like most of them suck or are ridiculous to get ahold of (like that Double/Triple Attack ring from Abyssea... Rare Drop (that probably requires a proc), and you need to farm no less than 3-4 NMs to get ONE chance for it? Oi....).

So it's hard enough even trying to get to where you can even think about doing endgame.... don't need job discrimination on top of it, especially not when said job discrimination isn't even necessary. I doubt a lot of those Unity and Escha mobs really require certain jobs. Maybe the latest Omen content, I could see... but c'mon, Escha that's been out for a couple years now?
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Blue mage is literally 30-50% behind a real DD in proper party comps, as well as having AWFUL sc properties, which makes your party damage plummet even further. That's kinda a big deal, also I laugh every time I see blue called a "heavy dd" on other forums.
    (0)

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    I haven't looked at all the spreadsheets and simulations recently but I find it hard to believe they are that far behind unless real DD only refers to like 2-3 jobs. Maybe if you count skillchain dmg but a lot of that is how you set things up. Hell last I was reading post update even mnk is that far behind and I mean lolmnk. Unless you are going by straight parses or something which well most blus are mediocre at best and as you already admit mostly just spam cdc like dummies.

Then again you can't really use a modifier of proper party composition and complain about skill properties since in a party where skillchaining is useful a proper party composition would use dds with good ws with complimentary skillchain properties. That said they have strong ws for 3/4 level 2 elements and both level 3 so idk about not having good properties unless again lolcdcspammage
    (0)
    Last edited by Urmom; 08-25-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    The biggest reasons I can see for as to why blu is wanted over a number of other DD options is that they are low maintenance for the party, and they have a lower skill floor to be okay.

Blu has a lot of tools it can use so the support/healers don't have to worry about them as much, as well as help cover some other things for the party. If having to cast Haste individually, blu should be self hasting saving one target. Blus have a number of quick stuns to help prevent nasty tp moves or aoe spells. And for those that do get through, they often keep themselves up allowing better focus on the tank/other DDs. With winds of promy, they deal with most of the annoying non-na statuses. So overall it helps free up the demands on supports and healers. Hence the low maintenance.

As to the low skill floor, it really does not take much to get blu to a useful state. Set a handful of key spells for traits, and self buffs, buy items to unlock Cdc, and then add in decent gear. Not much is needed beyond that, and the spell farming weeds out some of the really terrible ones. Some of the other DDs take a bit more investment of time and gear to do alright. Pretty sure blu can compete with any DD, problem is takes a lot more work and investment to reach those points and be noticed. In a way its like comparing pld and ninja back in the day. Pld didn't take a lot of work to be an effective tank, while ninja took a nice bit more so it was much easier to differentiate between good/bad ninjas than it was plds.

On Cdc, its actually in a nice skillchain position, the problem is that its the same spot as many of the other prefered ones on the darkness side, which is the same issue with savage blade for light. Blu actually has plenty of SC options, thanks to their physical spells, though not sure how many are still useful for that as haven't messed around with chain affinity recently. So really if a blu can't alter what they use for skillchains they are just being lazy. (Also of note, they should know spirits within and sanguine blade don't have sc properties when not able to add to normal chain of party)

Honestly, much of this stuff has likely been brought about because the ws spam era towards end of aht urgahn and abysea, and the much easier ability to cap out attack delay and other key stats. As just the other night in a cp party, using a simple three step double light sc with 3 people using ws's it wasn't uncommon for me to have 2500+tp. And I'm only just on the edge of being able to self sc off my own weaponskills reliably, so while Cdc is nice its almost better for me to gear for savage blade or expacion first for party situations. Im willing to use whichever ws is best for the party, least sword has options unlike when leveled drg back in the day and used double thrust for close to 65 levels to open distortion.
    (1)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast