Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I feel that I'm not really understanding what Boost is originally intended to do if the 10-15 second delay is actually intended.

I'm not a ridiculously geared MNK or anything (a mule with ambuscade NQ + Sparks weapon), but uh. I can have 3-4 attack rounds in the time it takes for me to land one boosted punch. Or I could Chi Blast for a couple K damage... oh wait, I could do more than 2k damage with 3-4 attack rounds, as my punches land for 200s on Apex Raptors. Okay so I can Chi Blast for ~1500 on those raptors. OR, I could land 8 punches and a kick or two for 200 each for 1600. Not seeing the point of Boost, to be honest.

Now, the Focus and Footwork changes? Oh yes. Now those I can wholly get behind. Focus is usable at the beginning of every fight just about, and Footwork can be paired with Impetus as they have the same cooldown every other fight to give a nice little hand up on damage output.

Boost? I'd say that's a complete miss.

IMO, let's just change boost to a directionless Sneak Attack and be done with it. Maybe not as dramatic as Sneak Attack, but still a similar concept. Use JA, next attack does extra damage. Boom, done, easy. This whole 10+ second delay is killing any DPS that Boost would have added. Why would I want to stand still for 10+ seconds doing nothing when I could have landed 6-8 punches in the same amount of time?
    (1)
    Last edited by Aysha; 08-10-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    I feel that I'm not really understanding what Boost is originally intended to do if the 10-15 second delay is actually intended.

I'm not a ridiculously geared MNK or anything (a mule with ambuscade NQ + Sparks weapon), but uh. I can have 3-4 attack rounds in the time it takes for me to land one boosted punch. Or I could Chi Blast for a couple K damage... oh wait, I could do more than 2k damage with 3-4 attack rounds, as my punches land for 200s on Apex Raptors. Okay so I can Chi Blast for ~1500 on those raptors. OR, I could land 8 punches and a kick or two for 200 each for 1600. Not seeing the point of Boost, to be honest.

Now, the Focus and Footwork changes? Oh yes. Now those I can wholly get behind. Focus is usable at the beginning of every fight just about, and Footwork can be paired with Impetus as they have the same cooldown every other fight to give a nice little hand up on damage output.

Boost? I'd say that's a complete miss.

IMO, let's just change boost to a directionless Sneak Attack and be done with it. Maybe not as dramatic as Sneak Attack, but still a similar concept. Use JA, next attack does extra damage. Boom, done, easy. This whole 10+ second delay is killing any DPS that Boost would have added. Why would I want to stand still for 10+ seconds doing nothing when I could have landed 6-8 punches in the same amount of time?
    Haste and Martial Arts (and Dual Wield, Hasso, Blitzer's Roll, etc) reduce the duration of Boost. With capped gear+magic haste (along w/ baseline MA traits) you can get it down to ~7sec w/ H2H, and even a bit lower w/ MA/DW gear. It just sucks if you are not actually gearing for it. (And currently broken w/ WS, and engage problems, etc...)
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklaser View Post
    When I do Shoulder Tackle without boost, so far have gotten a range of 187-193 for damage, and with boost, the range has been 199-206. Which .
    That's small enough that it might be possible that's just normal randomness I think or at least most of it.
    (0)

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Urmom View Post
    That's small enough that it might be possible that's just normal randomness I think or at least most of it.
    I doubt it, but it will take a while for me to get enough numbers to be significant on mnk. I had done enough hobakus as 50 Sam to begin ruling out the random variation. That and as a 23 mnk I didn't have the means to vary str via blu(no +str spells that low, or pocket mage to cast +str spells/songs). This is part of why also included dmg ranges been getting from normal attacks, as have had minimal variation on them.(range of 3-4 on all but Drg which was closer to 30)

I haven't seen a shoulder tackle break 195 without boost yet though, much like hobaku did not break 200 without boost. And the range difference of highs to highs, and lows to lows has been ~1/3 of my str both times. It at least warrants looking into more with a 99 mnk with higher str (guessing a 99 with 119 gear will have 300 ish) and can vary it easier.
    (0)

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    So some hints from SE (jp side only of course) and some testing by people reading the jp side suggest how much dmg boost you get is based on how long you wait. Which could explain why melee hits which force the wait get huge boost while for ws people are getting either low enough that can be attributed to rng or very modest boosts
    (0)

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Urmom View Post
    So some hints from SE (jp side only of course) and some testing by people reading the jp side suggest how much dmg boost you get is based on how long you wait. Which could explain why melee hits which force the wait get huge boost while for ws people are getting either low enough that can be attributed to rng or very modest boosts
    Could the post be linked to? I had been testing the ws's by engage-> Boost-> Run up and ws. I'll try a couple with waiting tonight to check. I should be able to see a difference if true and maybe see if there are some breakpoints on the wait.

Could be the 1/3rd Str I have been seeing is the minimum it increases which definitely would be very easy to miss even if had 300ish Str and adding only 100 damage to one hit of a weapon skill.
    (0)

Player
    Links:

JPside weekly devpost summary gave me the hint that duration remaining affected Boost damage bonus. Right-click > Translate to English > Battle Related.

BGwiki post here where I posted some cursory testing which shows that there is an impact on WS if you wait til the last second. I wasn't trying to pinpoint the values involved with the buff, only that there was a notable increase by using Boost and waiting.

Appears to me that the buff is dependant on time remaining, not time elapsed.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 08-11-2017 at 03:45 AM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Think you getting way too fixated on this 1/3 str thing for a single data set. Especially when SE flatly said it adds dmg AND adds dmg from str and that's how it does for regular hits. Also our understanding of regular hits suggest it's a multiplier not an addition
    (0)

Player
    Copy/paste from the patch notes:
    Boost has undergone the following adjustments.
    Autoattack delay will increase while active.
    The next autoattack will deal increased damage.
    Then next autoattack will generate increased TP if it connects.
    While active, the next weapon skill used before an autoattack occurs will deal increased damage.
    The next autoattack/weapon skill will have its damage modified by STR.
    The effect duration has been changed from 180 to your attack delay.
    The recast time has been changed from 15 seconds to 60 seconds.
    Does not indicate how much of anything beyond STR is applied to WS. It's quite possible that using a WS right away negates/trivializes the STR portion and only the base "increased damage".
    (1)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 08-11-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Character
    Krokov
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    So can someone just give a simple explanation now of how and when to use Boost w/o all the confusing number crunch?
    (0)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast