Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Now I remember why fishing sucks.

So this whole "Claret Carp" RoE quest inspired us to get some Halycon Rods made (because now that I have a 110 Alchemist, and I can kill endless pots in sky and have been doing so for awhile for crystals, it is so easy to do) and sometimes I get bored in the game and I can't really think of anything to do, so...

Family member and I asked each other 'why not try some fishing?'

Well, it took us about an hour to remember why fishing in this game sucks.

"You didn't catch anything."

.......sigh.

Okay... RMT is almost dead in this game, because to be honest, nobody cares about gil anymore unless you're talking cursed junk (and it doesn't even seem like that sells anymore) and Su3 equipment along with crafting materials if anybody is doing escutcheons (sp?), though anybody who is doing THAT horrendous grind is probably already done with the latest stage (and that's why material prices are falling through the floor because nobody's buying right now).

So..... why are the absolutely punishing restrictions still in place on fishing? There are no fish that are worth anything to anybody except for maybe Trumpet Shells as that's one of the only reasonable Bonecraft leveling synth for its level, but that requires there to be a bonecrafter on the server trying to level through it.

Fishing is a dead, worthless skill... but it is still far too hard to levelup. You can fish for 2-3 hours and finally get Level 1. And you have to zone every 30 minutes or you start getting that super-annoying "You didn't catch anything." every time you cast your line.

So now you add an RoE Vana'versary objective in that has to do with fishing... I dunno, I assume you wanted players to fish again? But you're not going to convince anybody to fish when leveling up is a ridiculously awful grind that is worse than trying to get Stage 2 Escutcheons done, and when you finally do get some levels on fishing? You aren't any better off than what you were before you tried to start, because there's not really any fish that is actually worth anything today. Not when you can walk over to your friendly Curio Vendor Moogle and buy any kind of Sushi you could ever want. Or Fish Mithkabobs. Or Shihei... is there ANYTHING worth fishing today?

It just seems that the work vs reward with Fishing is all out of whack. It's kinda sad, because the minigame makes it something that you could at least not fall asleep while doing, and it at least tests your reflexes at least a little, unlike anything else in this game... but there's just simply no reason to do it 'cept for the #ANV keys.

Since Fishing is so worthless, why not ease up on the restrictions so that it is at least a little fun?
    (2)

Player
    I ran into the same issue when I tried at first, and learned the hard way that it actually helps to move spots even just a little bit. Take two steps to the side and you'll start getting bites again. That is assuming that you haven't hit your daily cap of course. >_>;; There IS a daily catch cap that resets at JP midnight daily unfortunately. I would personally love it if at the very bare minimum, skillup rates were changed for 1-70 to match normal crafts. I really don't expect them to lower/remove the timer on the catch limit, ever.

As you mentioned, there doesn't appear to be any real money in this, BUT the devs were recently on record on this issue and they are still scared that changing anything w/ fishing will invite RMT activity..... -_-;; There was also talk about how bite rates are based on the premise that the supply is limited by the daily catch limits.

Honestly... The main reason I care at all about fishing is because that is a glaringly ugly white number among all my beautiful blue numbers on my skill sheet. :x It makes my OCD itch.
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Voicememo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Are you fishing in mog garden or at knightswell? And what bait are you using. In my experience the best combo is yew rod + insect paste at knightswell.
    (1)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The moon phase has a say, as stated by SE, in some cases.

I think there is around a 200 catch cap per day, and a bit more if you have an Ebitsu rod (220-230!?).

I've never had a problem catching Moat Carp. The best place is your Mog Garden, using a little worm. 100% catch rate.
    (0)

5. 08-02-2017 11:50 PM

Player
    You seem to have forgotten about the time when ppl were fishing up Gold Beds which were NPCable for 1mil each IIRC. (Might've been 100k, don't 100% remember the number of zeroes.) There most definitely have been phases where fishing was Get Rich Quick, but usually off bugs like that one. lol

The joy of fishing is very easily overcome by the despair of skillup when you are just starting out. Player skill in the minigame has very little to do with what you can reel in yet, so it's more frustration and less fun than I imagine the higher levels should be.
    (2)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

7. 08-03-2017 12:35 AM

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Fishing up rusties way back when also used to be some pretty good fast gil. Could clean the rust off and npc them for a rather decent profit and you could catch them at a good rate if you actually tried to fish items lol
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Thinking back, I wasn't very interested in fishing for about 5 or more years of playing, though I did do it a bit, and indeed, the rate of skillupses certainly wasn't very encouraging (perhaps one of the main reasons I did /not/ do it). They did adjust the rate of them happening (increased?) with the Jun 25, 2015 (JST) Version Update. Not that /that/ affected me any longer, but it's there. ^^

When I did start doing it seriously (mainly to fish matsya for a friend), the rate of skillupses didn't really bother me any longer, and it might have felt things were moving on at a rather nice pace even. The thing that /did/ hinder my progression, and annoyed me quite a bit, was the daily limit. It still certainly would, should I want to go fishing a lot again (I might go for the Lu Shang's +1 quest at some point (already did the actual quest for 10,000 carp as well as Ebisu and Ebisu +1)).

I'd certainly be in favour of removing said limit. I feel it's one of those things that mainly hurt(s) the legitimate players.

Aside from the daily limit, I don't remember having issues with the 'You didn't catch anything.'.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    @Sirmarki:

Little Worms are nowhere near a 100% catch rate in Mog Garden. You get about 3 carp per 5-7 catches (the rest being crayfish).

Also, I'm hoping I am wrong about this, but current testing seems to point to something really fishy (lol) going on -- all of the characters I had made years ago are having problems with "You didn't catch anything". I'd catch 1-3 fish and then get 4-5 "You didn't catch anything" with a Halcyon Rod + Little Worms in Mog Garden.

BUT.

Family member loaded her character that she created this past November and he catches 20 fish in a row without moving, without zoning, before she got her first "You didn't catch anything" message (with the same Halcyon Rod + Little Worms!) and I seem to remember the character I created this past November having far better catch rates too. More testing is needed, but it almost seems like older characters have bugged data on them or something that causes the ridiculously horrible catch rates.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Fishing in this game is amazing. FF14 fishing is so awful, I can't believe a game made 10 years later has such worse everything.

I have zero problems fishing. You're either using the wrong bait or at a bad spot for moat carp. I just fished up some gigant squids a few days ago, and I can catch 200 moat carp in a few hours easily.

Don't complain about something because you're not doing it properly. Get insect balls, go to knight well in ronfaure, and fish moat carps.
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Fishing in this game is amazing. FF14 fishing is so awful, I can't believe a game made 10 years later has such worse everything.

I have zero problems fishing. You're either using the wrong bait or at a bad spot for moat carp. I just fished up some gigant squids a few days ago, and I can catch 200 moat carp in a few hours easily.

Don't complain about something because you're not doing it properly. Get insect balls, go to knight well in ronfaure, and fish moat carps.
    Uh, did you miss the part where I tested 5+ characters at the same spot, same bait, and same rod?

4 of them were getting lots of "You didn't catch anything." and 1 of them caught 20 fish in a row with only 1 "you didn't catch anything"?

Same spot (Mog Garden Pond), same bait (Worms) and same pole (Halcyon) on all of these characters.

And yes, I did try insect balls in town which used to be decent. Now, you can catch a few fish and then you gotta zone yet again every 30 minutes or so because of "You didn't catch anything." constantly.

While fishing in FFXIV is more basic where you just press one button to reel it in, at least you don't get "You didn't catch anything" and at least you don't catch lots of stupid junk like rusted crap.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast