Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Have you tried fishing with insect balls in knight well?
    Not yet, but that's on my to-do list. I've had too much RL work to really sit down and fish, because I also play XIV. I plan on taking my Fishing 60 main, an "old" mule (one I created years ago) and my new mule (the one I created this past November) and fishing ~50 times and see what their bite rates are.

I'll even use a Halcyon on my main even though she has a Lu Shang's.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    1). The mules are Lv99 (yes, all of my mules are Lv99, including the one I made in Nov. '16)
    2). The mules are logged on daily and have been logged on daily (except for when no login points are available) every day since November 2016.

So no, that doesn't explain it.
    In the previous post you said "All characters I mentioned above are 0-5."...

I'm assuming you meant fishing level then, and not character level...
    (0)

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    rng is killer in this game but it evens out in the end. I was had a 2 hour stint of literally no bites and then another hour of only getting monsters and items when I was way under the cap. At end of the day still caught as many as I normally would
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    In the previous post you said "All characters I mentioned above are 0-5."...

I'm assuming you meant fishing level then, and not character level...
    Yes, I meant fishing level. I didn't mention their job levels, because I did not think it was actually relevant (I had forgotten about the low-level inactive/fresh mule rule).

That, and I said 0-5... I couldn't have meant job levels, because you can't have a Level 0 job.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

3°(((><

This discussion does make me think of matsya quite a bit, though having experienced that probably makes me a lot more lenient to anything else fish-related in the game... It's something along the lines of “Things could be worse... Things could be matsya.”

For fun(?), here are some stats from how that went for me. There is some data missing, since apparently I didn't write down anything from June 2014, when I got the shaper's shawl for myself. I was mainly doing it for a friend, and kind of accidentally got mine first (I can only remember due to having screenshots of that time, but perhaps I was just too lazy to get to adding some of that data to the crude text-file I scribbled the info into).
    Total Line Casts - 3592

Matsya - 166
    Snapsya - 275
    Jellyfish - 373
    Monster - 290
    Nothing - 1050
    Arrowwood Log - 352
    Divided by Zero - 4
    Rusty - 1082
    Bucket - 264
    Leggings - 522
    Subligar - 296
    Drill Calamary - 1135
    Dwarf Pugil - 770

Base fishing skill level 101-108, with the items to boost it further, and Noddy/Puffin rings. Mega Moglification since about half the way in.

The 'Divided by Zero' was a crash due to a bug introduced at around the time of the fishing system renovation.

I also made notes of the weather, the moon phase, as well as the time of day for most of the catches, but I never put time into making anything with them.
    Just after reading the new posts here today, I did a quick test with little worms and the Mog Gardens (I believe this is the first time I went to my Mog Garden since the introduction of Monster Rearing, so, possibly exactly three years ago today... yay!?).

I caught 99 moat carps, of which 49 were with my Ebisu Fishing Rod +1, and the rest were with a Yew Fishing Rod. This was with 99 casts of the line, while having a base fishing skill of 110.

The moon was at 50% (Last Quarter Moon) while starting, and 43% (Waning Crescent) quite a while after having finished up. If memory serves me right-like at all, Full Moon and New Moon at least used to be the best times for fishing outside of cities... maybe.

Aysha, did you check what the moon was like during your experiments?

I'm not able to repeat the test with <110 fishing skill too quickly, as I don't have access to the Mog Gardens on my other characters right now, but I did do a quick test over at Northern San d'Oria, which wasn't a good test at all since the character's is below level 20 (I do think I got one or two 'did not catch anything', though I'm not entirely sure about that at this time...).

Excluding one of my characters (which I might use for some further testing at some point, though it already has a fishing skill level of 19), they all have several years behind them.

Oh and regarding job level of 0, it is possible in Dynamis and Salvage for example, though okay, that's just the support job level... but still! :]
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    That, and I said 0-5... I couldn't have meant job levels, because you can't have a Level 0 job.
    Alright, (cough.... Attitude)..

I'm 110 Fishing with all gear (glasses, body, hands, feet, legs, rings) and Ebisu+1 rod.

You are doing something wrong..... It's as simple as that...
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Alright, (cough.... Attitude)..
    My apologies, that was supposed to be more of a light humor type thing.
    (0)

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I've had zero problem with this Claret Carp event. Created most all my character toons pre-ToAU. My fishing skill barely reaches 25+, using Halcyon rod and insect paste balls as bait. I go to Port San d'Oria and fish there each time. Yes I do get the occasional Tricolored carp or Gold carp, but within 20 castings I am done with the Moat carps. And can only remember once or twice did I see "You didn't catch anything." I've even gotten a few skill-ups from this weekly event. Think I'm at 26+ now. And worked on it any time of day, and moon phases on multiple toons, and never had problems as you've described. Not sure what else can say to help. Hope your problems get resolved.
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    For those of you who like to say that the pond in the Mog Garden is awesome for fishing...

THIS just happened to me today.

You can clearly see I'm in my garden. I'm using a Halcyon and Insect Paste Balls, and I wasn't in the garden for any more than 5 minutes.

EDIT: 24 "You didn't catch anything." to get 10 fish, so that means.... 30% bite rate.

Now I know this is egregious, as this is the first time it has ever been THIS bad, but still. This should not be happening. At All. It's freaking moat carp, and the object of a weekly quest at that. Ain't like it's one of the Ebisu fish or something that's actually worth something.

EDIT2: Next mule, catches 8 fish almost in a row (1-2 "Didn't catch anything." in the middle, not in a row). UNTIL 8/10 and then it took him 16 attempts to catch two fish.

*sigh*

I really don't understand why they needed such ridiculous amounts of "You didn't catch anything."

Kinda reminds me of the uselessness that is HELM where you do nothing but break tools all day to get that 1/100 chance that you might get something remotely useful.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aysha; 08-23-2017 at 02:51 AM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    For those of you who like to say that the pond in the Mog Garden is awesome for fishing...

THIS just happened to me today.

You can clearly see I'm in my garden. I'm using a Halcyon and Insect Paste Balls, and I wasn't in the garden for any more than 5 minutes.

EDIT: 24 "You didn't catch anything." to get 10 fish, so that means.... 30% bite rate.

Now I know this is egregious, as this is the first time it has ever been THIS bad, but still. This should not be happening. At All. It's freaking moat carp, and the object of a weekly quest at that. Ain't like it's one of the Ebisu fish or something that's actually worth something.

EDIT2: Next mule, catches 8 fish almost in a row (1-2 "Didn't catch anything." in the middle, not in a row). UNTIL 8/10 and then it took him 16 attempts to catch two fish.

*sigh*

I really don't understand why they needed such ridiculous amounts of "You didn't catch anything."

Kinda reminds me of the uselessness that is HELM where you do nothing but break tools all day to get that 1/100 chance that you might get something remotely useful.
    I can only think that its your level. Moat carp cap at level 11.

The other thing is, why did you scrub your name out in the corner, but leave it all in the log?
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast