Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    You're not fishing in the correct spot, nor are you using the correct bait for moat carps. You are not doing things correctly. It's you, not the game.

Halcycon rod + insect paste, knight well ronfaure.

You also don't catch garbage in FFXI if you know how to fish and don't reel in bad items(pay attention to what it says when a bite catches).

Please stop complaining and ask for advice on what you're doing wrong.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    You're not fishing in the correct spot, nor are you using the correct bait for moat carps. You are not doing things correctly. It's you, not the game.

Halcycon rod + insect paste, knight well ronfaure.

You also don't catch garbage in FFXI if you know how to fish and don't reel in bad items(pay attention to what it says when a bite catches).

Please stop complaining and ask for advice on what you're doing wrong.
    Can you actually answer the question I posted, please?

Mog Garden.
    Worms.
    Halcyon Rod.
    5 Characters.

Why is it one character catches 20+ fish back-to-back and the other four characters all get "you didn't catch anything." ?

And why should we be FORCED to fish in areas where every other catch is a stupid monster or rusted piece? And for the record, I fished Trumpet Shells not that long ago (a few months ago) and you know what? 1 in 4 casts were an actual fish. The other 3 were either junk, monsters, or "You didn't catch anything". And I was fishing at the recommended spot (the bridge in La Vaule, at the exact coordinates they said) with the correct bait (I forget which it was) with Lu Shang's (which is more than enough).

So can we please stop with the high-horse attitude? Seriously. One shouldn't be forced to fish at 1 and only 1 location in the whole game to be able to catch fish. That's just so absurdly stupid.

As far as reeling in garbage/monsters..... I don't actually reel them in, I know how to cancel, thanks.

But the fact that so much of that junk even "bites" in the first place wastes ridiculous amounts of time when you have to keep re-casting your line over and over again because you hooked 3, 4, 5+ junk/monsters in a row is quite annoying.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Because you're fishing wrong. It's been stated in every post I've made. Fishing wrong results in massively worse RNG on catching things. You use proper rod/bait at a proper location to make your RNG good.

Fishing properly isn't stupid, sorry you think it is.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 08-05-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Because you're fishing wrong. It's been stated in every post I've made. Fishing wrong results in massively worse RNG on catching things. You use proper rod/bait at a proper location to make your RNG good.

Fishing properly isn't stupid, sorry you think it is.
    So again we're down to "You must fish at only one location for each fish, with only one bait/rod combination" and you don't see a problem with this? That Moat Carp, which exist in nearly every freshwater zone in old areas, you are limited to going to 1-and-only-1 location? And uh, last time I fished at Knightwell (which was years ago but still), I didn't see where it was any better than fishing in town, other than the fact you remove the possibility of monster catches. Also tried the river in Jugner, same thing (only more Gold Carp which is even worse), I came to the conclusion that any town zone works better because you remove monster catches from the list.

So... you don't see the problem with wasting several minutes at a time, Escaping out of Junk and Monster hooks? Where you have to hit escape 2, 3, 4, 5+ times in a row because you keep hooking monsters and items? It doesn't matter WHERE you fish, you're going to have this problem.

I don't know why you seem to think Knightwell is somehow magically better than any other zone, lol. I bet you $5 I could go to Knightwell right now, with a stack of bait and it won't really be statistically better. See, I used to fish way back when, Pre-Abyssea. Actually, I leveled my fishing to 60 back during the days of Zilart and Promathia. Family member and I did no less than three Lu Shang quests on various mules. I know where and how to catch Moat Carp, thanks.

It just seems either worse, or maybe the same at best, but still. All the 'you didn't catch anything', the zoning, etc is just a load of BS that really doesn't need to be there when gil is nigh-worthless and there are no RMTs here. Back then, it was needed because fishing bot RMTs were destroying the economy. Nowadays? It's not needed so let's get rid of it and make fishing actually fun again.

And no, hitting Escape to get out of Monster/Item catches 3 out of 5 times is not fun.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    @Sirmarki:Little Worms are nowhere near a 100% catch rate in Mog Garden. You get about 3 carp per 5-7 catches (the rest being crayfish).
    I have never caught a crayfish, or ever had "You didn't catch anything..." in the Mog Garden pond using little worms.. I get a moat carp every cast.

What level are you? and Which rod are you using (I see Halcyon from above) and what level were the other characters you tested?
    (0)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 08-06-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    If you're fishing with little worms as bait, your results will favor crayfish if you're low level. The higher your fishing level, the more you will hook moat carps instead of crayfish. So I'd ask, what are the fishing levels of the characters in question?

Secondly, if you're solely targeting moat carps, be smart and use the proper bait to isolate them, which is insect paste.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    All characters I mentioned above are 0-5.

As stated above, 4 of them get "You didn't catch anything..." after a couple catches, and consistently get that 20-30% of the time. Then it's the ~70% crayfish to ~30% moat carps. Now, @detlef explains the moat carp issue, but I still don't understand why family member's brand-new mule gets 20+ catches in a row without a single "You didn't catch anything."

I'm going to have to test my brand-new mule to see if the same thing happens. I have a Lv60 Fisher (my main character) which I will also test when I get some time to do so.

Oh, and for the record, I am _not_ targeting Moat Carp specifically; I was just trying to catch fish to get a few levels just for kicks because I was bored one day, so I didn't care WHAT I caught, as long as it was a fish and not "You didn't catch anything" or junk/monsters.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    All characters I mentioned above are 0-5.

As stated above, 4 of them get "You didn't catch anything..." after a couple catches, and consistently get that 20-30% of the time. Then it's the ~70% crayfish to ~30% moat carps. Now, @detlef explains the moat carp issue, but I still don't understand why family member's brand-new mule gets 20+ catches in a row without a single "You didn't catch anything."

I'm going to have to test my brand-new mule to see if the same thing happens. I have a Lv60 Fisher (my main character) which I will also test when I get some time to do so.

Oh, and for the record, I am _not_ targeting Moat Carp specifically; I was just trying to catch fish to get a few levels just for kicks because I was bored one day, so I didn't care WHAT I caught, as long as it was a fish and not "You didn't catch anything" or junk/monsters.
    Well that might be your problem right there:

"If the character being used has logged on-line for the first time less than 2 weeks ago, or/and the job level is lower than 20, the maximum number of fish and/or items that can be reeled in is lowered to 10 for the passing Earth day, resetting at Japanese midnight as usual"
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Well that might be your problem right there:

"If the character being used has logged on-line for the first time less than 2 weeks ago, or/and the job level is lower than 20, the maximum number of fish and/or items that can be reeled in is lowered to 10 for the passing Earth day, resetting at Japanese midnight as usual"
    1). The mules are Lv99 (yes, all of my mules are Lv99, including the one I made in Nov. '16)
    2). The mules are logged on daily and have been logged on daily (except for when no login points are available) every day since November 2016.

So no, that doesn't explain it.
    (0)

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Have you tried fishing with insect balls in knight well?
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast