Character
    Lyssaber
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 2

I'm new, FFXI runs fine, everything else doesn't, I need help :(

I'm a person who likes to have multiple things running at the same time, like in this case I would like to keep FFXIV opened while playing FFXI.
    But I just can't, whenever PlayOnline or FFXI are open my computer just slows down to a crawl, even windows itself becomes barely usable, I can't search anything because letters get inputted at a rate of about 1 letter every 10 or so seconds. Framerate in FFXIV dips to about 1 fps whenever I move the camera around.
    I tried looking around and all I could find are people having issues with FFXI itself, problem is FFXI runs perfectly fine, it's everything else that doesn't run fine while FFXI is opened.
    My Specs;
    Windows 10 Pro N 64bit
    i7-7700k OC'd at 4.7ghz
    GTX 1070
    16gb of ddr4 RAM at 2400 mhz
    It kills my enjoyement at lot because I like to multitask while waiting for something :<
    (0)

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    Try try setting FFXI's processor affinity to CPU 3 and lowering its priority to below normal.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    It's never recommended to run more than one game at once, in whatever situation.
    (0)

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    XI shouldn't cause those kind of issues to a web browser, and honestly with those specs, she shouldn't have a problem LFGing in XI, XIV, and WoW, all while playing Overwatch.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Folken View Post
    XI shouldn't cause those kind of issues to a web browser, and honestly with those specs, she shouldn't have a problem LFGing in XI, XIV, and WoW, all while playing Overwatch.
    The problem being that FFXI was not made to handle specs like that so it tends to run rather suboptimally compared to software/games that are. :/ I've also read that others have issues specifically with the combination of FFXI/XIV.. Does the same problem occur w/ FFXI up and FFXIV not?
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    The problem being that FFXI was not made to handle specs like that so it tends to run rather suboptimally compared to software/games that are. :/ I've also read that others have issues specifically with the combination of FFXI/XIV.. Does the same problem occur w/ FFXI up and FFXIV not?
    My PC has is similar in setup to the OP's, just with lower numbers, and I have no problem running XI and XIV at the same time. Can't say if I've ever tried to run a third game, but I've never experienced issues like that with the rest of the system. My suggestions should lower XI's burden on the rest of the system though.
    (0)

Character
    Hirosaan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 65
    I can only use my browser, slowly, to look up FFXIclopedia. You simply cannot multitask with this older game. But this game is so worth it.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Depends on specs and settings to be honest.

I run at 1360x768, and I run FFXI in windowed mode (the official windowed mode) and I modified the registry to force the game to run at the correct resolution so that I don't get distorted text.

I can easily pop a browser in the background, but yeah, two games... that's where I draw the line. I don't do two games at once. I do, however, run stuff like telnet clients etc in the background.

I've never had issues, but then I don't ramp the settings of FFXI sky-high either. I think I set the background resolution to something close to my native resolution, and I didn't max all the settings because to be honest, you really don't need to with this game. Sure, you could give it 4k resolution on the background resolution... but you're spending way more power for diminishing returns. You could spend, say, 5x the power and get 1.2x the effect. It just isn't worth it IMO.

So if you've got a reasonably modern rig (within the last 5 years) and you can't run FFXI+Web Browser... you probably have FFXI's settings jacked up too high.

Now, for reference I got a GeForce GTX 660, with a 3.5Ghz AMD FX6300, and 16GB of RAM. It's a 5 year old computer that struggles with FFXIV (I get 30-40FPS while flying high, and the FPS goes way down to 10-15 when I shift focus to another window).
    (0)

9. 09-11-2017 03:22 AM