Thread: Great Axe

Character
    Vonroth
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Great Axe

So is it just me or do Great Axe weapon skills just seem really weak? Typically when I'm playing on my warrior I need to be wielding a Great Sword. As a matter of fact it seems Great Sword is honestly the way to go when playing warrior. Making a Ragnarok being ideal. When I use weapon skills like Ukko's Fury the damage is just so...random. I'll stack lots of crit gear along with high attack and strength as well of coarse, but it just doesn't hold a candle to weapon skills like Fudo, Torcleaver, or of course our beloved CDC. Idk maybe I'm just a bad warrior which is perfectly fine with me as I'm always looking to improve my game. So is this a issue any of you guys are having or is it just me? I'll take tips if so. I don't want to use Great Sword over Great Axe if I have a choice. Great Sword is missing to many weapon skills for warrior. Just Resolution or Scourge of coarse. Please folks let me know. ^^
    (1)

Upheaval and king's justice are your stronger WSs for higher TP. upheaval tho uses 73-85%VIT as a stat modifier (Varies with merits contributed)and king's justice is 50% str. make sure to use as much of those stats when using those WSs. also, unlike WSs like chant du chant or resolution, the FTP (Multipler) doesn't carry on every hit for Gaxe, so Gaxe loses alot of power because of that because the multipler's boost doesn't carry over to the next hit of the WS
    (0)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jblauh View Post
    So is it just me or do Great Axe weapon skills just seem really weak? Typically when I'm playing on my warrior I need to be wielding a Great Sword. As a matter of fact it seems Great Sword is honestly the way to go when playing warrior. Making a Ragnarok being ideal. When I use weapon skills like Ukko's Fury the damage is just so...random. I'll stack lots of crit gear along with high attack and strength as well of coarse, but it just doesn't hold a candle to weapon skills like Fudo, Torcleaver, or of course our beloved CDC. Idk maybe I'm just a bad warrior which is perfectly fine with me as I'm always looking to improve my game. So is this a issue any of you guys are having or is it just me? I'll take tips if so. I don't want to use Great Sword over Great Axe if I have a choice. Great Sword is missing to many weapon skills for warrior. Just Resolution or Scourge of coarse. Please folks let me know. ^^
    So much wrong with this ...

For starters Ukko's Fury sucks as a WS, it's in the same situation as Victory Smite in that it doesn't scale into higher damage tiers like other WS do. The power WS's are Upheaval and maybe King's (very specific circumstances) and no you don't just pile on their stat, you need to optimize your gear for each at lower and higher TP's. Both KJ and Upheaval change their damage mechanics based on your TP, at under 2000TP you want to have multi-hit with the appropriate stat, at 2000TP or higher you need to pile on WSD with the appropriate stat. Having a Chango greatly enhances the damage of those two WS's, which brings me to what these WS's are for.

Stop spamming a single WS over and over again on all content. Yes there are times when you just smash a single powerful WS, and those times you will be using a Greatsword with Resolution because that's exactly what their WS is optimal for. Zulfiqar with augments actually does better WS spam but Ragnarok has that insane accuracy which might be necessary, so think about that first. Great Axe is amazing at making skillchains, very powerful skillchains, obscenely powerful skillchains.

King's Justice -> Steel Cyclone / Full Break -> Upheaval -> King's Justice -> Upheaval (Chango) / Ukko's Fury for a five step double light that obliterates anything you are fighting. If you have another DD with you then you can link your various WS's together to form three to six step SC's and multiply your DD power. King's Justice is Fragmentation, Upheaval is Fusion, Ukko's Fury is Light / Fragmentation and if you have Chango then Upheaval is Light also. For Distortion you have both Steel Cyclone for damage and Full Break as a linker with debuffs attached.

Now with that out of the way, you need to also have multiple weapon types and weapon skill sets. Blurred Lance for Stardiver (it's Resolution on a Polearm) on piercing weak targets or when your using it's SC properties for darkness. Axe for Mistral Axe and Cloud Splitter, then Sword for those random times Savage is called for. Warrior is the "Kitchen Sink DD", it has such an extremely wide variety of weapons at it's disposal to deal death and destruction to the enemy that there is always a solution.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Vonroth
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Thanks for the advice. I'll have to try this out. Much appreciated.
    (1)

Character
    Vonroth
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Yup you were totally right. I was approaching the job all wrong like a idiot. That 5 step combo you recommended is absolutely destroying Apex Bats for me atm. Now I really want a Chango ; ;. Thanks man.
    (2)