Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Looking for a FFXI video from way back . . .

Hi!

Way back in the Zilart days, someone (maybe SE) created a video about a linkshell with one remaining member. Even though he was the last member, he didn't throw his pearl. Instead he visited all the new and wonderful places opened by the new expansion - Zilart. He'd go to some new and beautiful place, equip his old pearl, and tell everyone on there (even though no one was) all about the place and how wonderful it was to see.

One day an old member returned and he wasn't alone again.

This video made me cry and still does to this day! Why?

When I joined (March 2004 - NA PS2 release date), I also joined (on Caitsith) a LS by the name of Brotherhood. The same thing happened to it! My Son and I were the last members (until the pearl broke). The majority of members were friends in Tenn, I think, and had a falling out. This falling out got them to leave the game . . .

I loved the group - especially CRASHER!! I miss CRASHER to this day! He was our White Mage!

Anyway, if someone knows of this video and can tell me where to find it or send it to me -- I'd appreciate it!

Thank you and long live Final Fantasy XI! Remember Caitsith!

IBHalliwell on Ragnarok (Formerly of Caitsith)
    (2)

Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    (3)

Character
    Sevvie
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I legit cried at this. The game has brought back so many memories and I am glad to be back. Thank you for sharing this amazing video.
    (1)

Character
    Fenrirlb
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 38
    The reason why we think like that is, because FF XI is a very special kind of MMORPG. Due to its technical limitations and also its gameplay, you can spend hours over hours making no progress at all. Leveling, for example - You can spend all day just to gather a group, walk to the farm spot, killing monsters - without making much progress after all. or quests - if you just do quests, you can spend months on this game doing nothing else.

since this borders between asia grinder due to the level system (you don't get xp from quests, but only from farming) and a role playing game (due to the vast amount of storylines and the huge world) you kinda have to make the gap between the necessary leveling up (which can be tedious, especially considering you have to do it all over again multiple times for your sub jobs) and the exploring/questing.

while this makes FF XI unique and precious, it also makes it very hard to approach, especially for new players, thats why it slowly died - even though it is still big, considering the age.

for me, I lost my old playonline account a long time ago - so i just started from scratch a few days ago. I enjoy it alot - But I know, at some point, I won't be able to progress solo anymore and since my server is empty, i will stop playing again. because in the end, what makes a mmorpg truly special, is the social aspect.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrirlb View Post
    The reason why we think like that is, because FF XI is a very special kind of MMORPG. Due to its technical limitations and also its gameplay, you can spend hours over hours making no progress at all. Leveling, for example - You can spend all day just to gather a group, walk to the farm spot, killing monsters - without making much progress after all. or quests - if you just do quests, you can spend months on this game doing nothing else.

since this borders between asia grinder due to the level system (you don't get xp from quests, but only from farming) and a role playing game (due to the vast amount of storylines and the huge world) you kinda have to make the gap between the necessary leveling up (which can be tedious, especially considering you have to do it all over again multiple times for your sub jobs) and the exploring/questing.

while this makes FF XI unique and precious, it also makes it very hard to approach, especially for new players, thats why it slowly died - even though it is still big, considering the age.

for me, I lost my old playonline account a long time ago - so i just started from scratch a few days ago. I enjoy it alot - But I know, at some point, I won't be able to progress solo anymore and since my server is empty, i will stop playing again. because in the end, what makes a mmorpg truly special, is the social aspect.
    Once you know what you are doing, the grind is a tiny fraction of what it once was. Excluding Limit Break quest time, it should take ~7-10 hours to solo 1-99 using Trusts, rather than weeks or months. So it's not nearly as bad as you think it is. ^^ 1-50 for a subjob is generally only ~1-3hrs,

Since you just started again from scratch, consider moving to Asura. There are people here. :3 It's not too late to make a new character since you probably don't have >that< much time invested so far, and if your server is dead already, might as well make the jump early. ^^ Especially since it does not sound like you have tons of friends yet.
    (1)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 07-08-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Fenrirlb
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 38
    I actually don't have any friends at all there - Its super empty.

But starting from scratch doesn't sound attactive to me either. Would be 20 hours down the drain.
    (1)

7. 07-08-2017 09:00 PM

Character
    Fenrirlb
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 38
    Yeah, I see. I will slowly walk backwards, a BIT scared by your fanatism.
    (1)

9. 07-09-2017 04:35 AM

Character
    Fenrirlb
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 38
    I see that you like this Game. That's fine, I mean that's the reason why you pay monthly. But the only reason why its harder to find people to play with is the fact that not many people start FF XI anymore and those who still play, do the same things every day in lategame or only play occasionally. the game "died out" and the player count is low. that's why i was suggested to change to Asuna, but I doubt I will start over again, so I think I will just play solo.
    (0)

11. 07-09-2017 06:42 AM

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Also, you may know this already, but if you don't know ; you can join Linkshells by visiting the Linkshell Distributor NPCs in all the main cities.

Those NPCs will offer you Linkshells that are currently looking for members, and you can browse the sub-categories ; Intense Events, Social Fun Chat LS, Making Friends, etc.

The Linkshells are categorised by Region / Language so you can get a LS which suits your language and your time of day.

It is a great way to join a LS, because you automatically know that the LS on offer is looking to meet new people, and they want to make friends - so you can join and feel certain that you will be welcomed and you are what they are looking for.

I hope this helps you make new friends. Don't give up hope!

(0)

Character
    Optical
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    I remember this video... thanks for sharing!
    (0)