Character
    Canni
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Cannot get Play Online to work with Windows 10.

I've tried everything I can think of to get this to work. Changed compatibility mode to Windows 7, Ran as administrator, Uninstalled, Reinstalled, Etc Etc.... Nothing Works.... I really want to get back into playing FFXI but it's not working! Please someone heeeelp!

More Info Details:
    I have been attempting to come back to FFXI however after installing Playonline viewer, attempting to open playonline viewer leads to playonline popping up all black and after 5 seconds and then would get a message saying "Playonline viewer has stopped working" " A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". Following this I uninstalled tried again same error. I then downloaded the vista/windows 7 viewer from the FFXI website and installed only to receive the same error. Allowing for administrator did not fix the problem or changing what version of windows is compatible. However i could not get it to function otherwise.
    Steps:
    1. Installed Playonline via PlayOnline Website.
    2. Attempted to open playonline.
    3. Crashed right away with a message saying it "Stopped Working"
    4. Same error occured with the windows 7 compatibility
    5. Tried to run program as administrator
    (1)
    Last edited by SWEET_ROLL_THIEF; 05-23-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: update

Character
    Neferio
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    While i haven't experienced this exact issue myself, i did find this topic which has some leads on it from someone who describes what appears to be the same issue you are having.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...rying-to-open?

Hopefully this helps, or maybe someone else has an idea and can pitch in here...
    Are you by chance playing on a modern(ish) nvidia laptop?
    (0)

Player
    You need to have DirectX8 installed and turn off the UAC screendim function. DirectX8 is not installed by default, and the screendim tends to screw things up pretty badly.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Have you tried temporarily disabling any anti virus software (if you are running any)?
    (0)

Character
    Xyjah
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 95
    I am not sure if you have tried this but you need to make sure directplay is activated. Right click start menu > Apps and Features > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > Legacy Components > DirectPlay
    (0)

Player
    I've just recently bought an ASUS ROG to replace my old laptop and have Windows 10 installed. Had no issues installing and running FF11 except slight problems with frame rate which was discussed at this thread. My desktop PC that also uses Windows 10 also have no issues playing FF11. OP might have older installation files since older version does have problems with Windows XP and above. I really recommend download new installation from playonline site.
    (0)

Character
    Canni
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Yes, I have Directplay on I have turned off my Anti-virus and Firewall, I've done all kinds of things. I'm not sure what the problem is. I wanna scream with frustration so bad LOL
    (0)

Player
    hmmm...

based on his post here...

Quote Originally Posted by Nefario View Post
    While i haven't experienced this exact issue myself, i did find this topic which has some leads on it from someone who describes what appears to be the same issue you are having.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...rying-to-open?

Hopefully this helps, or maybe someone else has an idea and can pitch in here...
    Are you by chance playing on a modern(ish) nvidia laptop?
    ... I did have the Abyssea ultimate collection. Seekers of Adoulin expansion wasn't released about a year later when I started FF11. So all this time, I was installing Abyssea collection 1st, then I added SoA installation, in which after... I replaced the installation data with my backups that has the most recent patch. I never did ran the game straight after installation, it's always after replacing with backups.

Not sure if this would help, but maybe you can somehow get the game backups from someone who still plays FF11, usually located in this folder: C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\
    That said person might wanna take out his/her screenshot collection which located somewhere in PlayOnlineViewer folder though. And don't have to worry with login information since it will always ask you to re-register your POL ID.

Another thing: I also discovered back then that you can't install FF11 outside it's default installation path. I tried this before (since majority of my games usually installed not on my boot partition) and unfortunately the game won't run at all. Since then, I don't have any choice but to install the game on it's usual "C:\Program Files". IMO, this is one quite major issues need to be fixed. ^^;

Sorry, can't really help much. Hope you'll find and fix the issue tho.
    (0)
    Last edited by BobbinT; 05-26-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Player
    Are you sure you have installed DX8? And turned off the UAC screendim? Those were the problems I've had (and seen many others have) when I installed.
    The install path shouldn't matter, I have mine in c:/games/FFXI ^^;;
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”