Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Zylo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99

Thinking about coming back

I haven't played this since abyssea had come out. I was on Siren when i left the game, but ffxi keeps popping up on my FB news feed and it has me wanting to come back. I know it's not the same game from when i quit. But i'm just wondering if theres any active people still on siren for if i come back.
    (2)

Player
    I can't speak for Siren, but Asura has a solid population. You are correct that the game is not the same as the old days, but just about all of the changes make things easier than they used to be. You can expect to never join an exp party until you are 99 and grinding the new type of merits (Job Points) for instance.

If you come back and find that Siren isn't populated enough for your tastes, come over to Asura and hit me up. XD I'm sure I'll have at least one mule left to level with you and I enjoy helping new/returning players get back into the game. If you don't have REM already but consider transferring, you might want to just start a new character. If you know what to do and how to do it, you can get to 99 within a weekend, so it's not nearly as daunting a task as it once was.
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Player
    I don't know the situation over Siren, but here at Bahamut server are always lots of players around. LS chat always active whenever I logged. So yes, I'd say pretty active, even more so compared to FF14 which I'm currently focusing. Don't let the low number of active subs being a hindrance and go have some fun @ Vana'diel.
    (1)

Character
    Neferio
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Fully 100% worth it.
    First of all, about population. I don't know what Siren is like. Sylph has around ~400 at any one time, but as i understand it, Asura (and Odin?) are unofficially the migration servers and have large active populations, so if you're not leaving anyone behind that you'd regret leaving on your own server, that's always an option. I'm going to hang out on Sylph for a while and see if i can reach some old friends first. If nothing comes of it i'll probably transfer eventually.

The game itself is now mostly soloable 1-99 including every(?) story mission in the game. If for no other reason, come back just to finish all your unfinished business related to that stuff.

Basically, you talk to an NPC at the gates of any starter city and it brings up a new menu of quests that allows you to easily keep track of every content in the game that you have or have not yet completed, so that makes the whole organisation thing tons easier than it used to be. Then you talk to another NPC to be able to start summoning story NPCs into your party to tackle all the games story content and levelling (kinda like you would expect story characters to be in your party in an offline RPG). Plus, between that and increased exp rates, levelling up is now like an offline game, with none of the MMO protracted grind, and at this stage, that's also a huge plus.

Also, they added fast travel and several hundred inventory slots ... soo that helps hugely.

I recommend though, google search or reddit to find the fastest way of patching the game up to date since playonline still really sucks about that.

So in all, if you have any game left to play, which surely you must, if like me you've been gone since Abyssea, then it is full well worth it just to play the game as you would any other in your backlog. It's a fantastic game. I can't offer much more insight, personally, on the state of the community, except that all the cities now have NPCs who show you a list of recruiting Linkshells that you can instantly join, and Asura has an 'old days' size of population.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nefario; 05-19-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Character
    Zylo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    unfortunately I'm getting an error trying to update the client. thier status says they fixed it but it will not update. I'm using the steam version of the game.
    (0)

Character
    Neferio
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by zylo1010 View Post
    unfortunately I'm getting an error trying to update the client. thier status says they fixed it but it will not update. I'm using the steam version of the game.
    I'm not on steam, but there is discussion on reddit and ffxiah about how to 'speed up' the update process. Unless you can't even reach the update part itself, then i don't know what's going on. But you can cut 16k files down to a few hundred for sure.
    (0)

Character
    Zylo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling 4x before it finally started updating, 5 hrs on the update now
    (0)

Character
    Neferio
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by zylo1010 View Post
    I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling 4x before it finally started updating, 5 hrs on the update now
    lol, for all the great things about this game, Playonline remains something of a debauchery mystery that remains unresolved to this day. Enjoy your journey!
    (0)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Suspect it more an issue with Steam, personally. Never heard good things about people trying to run the game through it. D:
    (0)

Character
    Neferio
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I just shuffled over to Asura... '2023 people found in all known areas'
    Feels good. Feels full. Worth every penny.

To each their own i guess, but to anyone reading this who wants a bit more activity, Asura does not disappoint.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast