Player

most simple/basic Synthesis Ingredients support from SE <Can I have it?>

I just tried to get a hand of a simple synthesis ingredient to try to get the HQ of Attentive Ibuki. And i already failed on getting ONE simple item: Akaso.
    Now we all know the economy in FFXI is f***ed up, if the item(s) you need aren't used in Endgame content.

Why can't we get such simple items from NPCs, since people/player don't support us with them? Please, explain that to me. If anyone from SE can explain it. Thank you!

What i ask for is to let us buy such basic synthesis ingredients like Akaso from NPCs.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyclia; 05-18-2017 at 02:47 AM.

Player
    Akaso is from SoA content, so I don't think it really qualifies as a "simple/basic" mat, but it's not super hard to get. It can be harvested normally or from Mog Garden. Think MG method may require rank7 grove + harvesting from node#4 IIRC.

I would love to have NPC vendors carry stuff like Revival Roots and Wild Onions though. ^^
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Vashkoda
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Akaso isn't a "simple" material; it's used for high-end clothcraft skilling to make akaso thread/cloth, which also happen to be needed for geomancy AF gear. When SoA was first released, akaso was in high demand for these reasons, and farmers and crafters both made fortunes from this. The demand might be less now, so you're having a harder time finding it on the AH. Yes, it's annoying to go to Yorcia Weald and harvest them, but plenty of farmers and crafters have done it. I haven't bothered in a long time because I can get it much more easily (albeit infrequently) from my mog garden.

You might be lucky and have SE make akaso available some other way in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They just made 3 ingredients available from cooking guild npcs with this last update, but those items have been around since CoP/WotG and are only now getting attention.

Also, you may already know this, but revival roots are easily farmed from undead (go to any zone with ghosts, dogs, or fomor and you'll accumulate a ton). They may not make this available from vendors, because it's also used as a proof of bravery to unlock PLD job. I've never understood why onions weren't sold by npcs (maybe because of the FF franchise's strange fondness for onion items), but they made me some easy gil back in the early days of the game, when I would farm goblin thugs in outer horu towers.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Vashkoda View Post
    Also, you may already know this, but revival roots are easily farmed from undead (go to any zone with ghosts, dogs, or fomor and you'll accumulate a ton). They may not make this available from vendors, because it's also used as a proof of bravery to unlock PLD job. I've never understood why onions weren't sold by npcs (maybe because of the FF franchise's strange fondness for onion items), but they made me some easy gil back in the early days of the game, when I would farm goblin thugs in outer horu towers.
    I know full well how/where they are available, but onions are up to 200k-300k on Asura due to the Escutcheon.. I'm not making a cooking one, but I feel slightly guilty to be selling my garden spoils for that much. XD My point was that those two are exceedingly low-level items that still have uses/demand but no NPC source. I'm sure there are tons of things like this that would also qualify.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    It's the unfortunate fate of farming not being viewed as productive enough, really. When the endgame items one may be eyeballing cost tens, if not hundreds of millions (for HQs), not many people are going to want to be wasting their time and clogging their AH slots for sub-100k profits. Seeing onions brought up, stacks on Sylph are only going for 6k while Asura is showing 180-200k. Super big difference, obviously, but something like this also shouldn't be considered the norm when it comes to supply and demand.

Overall, the game has had some issues when it comes to material rarity at various points, and it's something that has made crafting something questionable to pursue for many. Why craft NQs for a loss when you can sell the ingredients for that much more? Such also contributes to the absurd gap in HQ prices, further factoring in things like tiering or the actual differences from NQ (some justified, some not so much). The crafting shields are serving as something the game has arguably lacked for its life time, and that's material sinks. GP items flirted with the idea, but not really to the degree they'd have a major impact on the economy. And if costs were too obscene, sometimes players just skipped those days altogether.

So, how do we fix the supply issue? Well, vendor mats are one angle, particularly with conquest. These also double as a gil sink, which may or may not be needed depending on who you ask. I can't say I'm wild about anything having an exclusive source, which means bottlenecking things to bosses/events is spotty. This leaves HELMing, chocobo digging, gardening, and monster slaying as alternative venues. I'd include chest/coffers, but they kinda stopped being used post-RotZ. Nonetheless, chests in Giddeus dropping a dozen onions wouldn't throw of the natural order, I'd say, so maybe such things do warrant a buff. Otherwise, since player demand on many things is virtually non-existent, I'd say more NPC quests are in order that pay out substantial gil or other perks. It might not be the ideal player-to-player economy, but it'd also be better than what we have going for us now.
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    My point was that those two are exceedingly low-level items that still have uses/demand but no NPC source.
    lol, Akaso is "low level"?

It's Adoulin content, and Akaso Thread/Cloth is in the high-90s clothcraft IIRC and when it was first implemented, it was used for getting I-level 109 AF armor.

Hardly "low level".
    (0)