Character
    Mrrshan
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

New Installation: Version Update of game extremely slow (more than 24 hours)

Details:
    just installed the client as per instructions on the web page / this is a reactivation of an account on a new laptop.
    Of course the game needed to be updated - I fully expected that.
    After checking the files the system started an update of 16500 files... This took place yesterday afternoon ... Now more than 24 hours later, the system has managed to download roughly 3000 files. With this speed I will be done in 3 full days.

Can this really be correct?

Of course the update was hampered by a couple of time outs of the connection where the POL viewer claimed that there was no connection - Not true as I was using another device in one case and surfing the web on the laptop in question in another instance.

Date & Time:
    Date and time on when the issue occurred. Please make sure to state the time zone of your region. (Example: Pacific Time = PST/PDT)

Frequency:
    1. Always

Platform:
    Pc / Laptop

PC Manufacturer & Model Number:
    Asus, ROG / G752VT

Operating System:
    Windows 10

Graphics Card:
    Geforce BTX 970M

Type of Internet Connection:
    DSL / Tested download speed of apprx 100 mbs
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Travmac View Post
    Details:
    just installed the client as per instructions on the web page / this is a reactivation of an account on a new laptop.
    Of course the game needed to be updated - I fully expected that.
    After checking the files the system started an update of 16500 files... This took place yesterday afternoon ... Now more than 24 hours later, the system has managed to download roughly 3000 files. With this speed I will be done in 3 full days.

Can this really be correct?

Of course the update was hampered by a couple of time outs of the connection where the POL viewer claimed that there was no connection - Not true as I was using another device in one case and surfing the web on the laptop in question in another instance.

Date & Time:
    Date and time on when the issue occurred. Please make sure to state the time zone of your region. (Example: Pacific Time = PST/PDT)

Frequency:
    1. Always

Platform:
    Pc / Laptop

PC Manufacturer & Model Number:
    Asus, ROG / G752VT

Operating System:
    Windows 10

Graphics Card:
    Geforce BTX 970M

Type of Internet Connection:
    DSL / Tested download speed of apprx 100 mbs
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/pol...ews24929.shtml < They were having problems with the update servers... You might want to close and restart the update now. (Anything already downloaded shouldn't need to be downloaded again at least.)
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Mrrshan
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Hi there!

I've already restarted today a couple of hours ago - after the message that the update servers have been fixed. Still no cigar.
    (1)

Player
    I believe the update servers are still transfer rate capped to dial-up speeds.. Should be slow but move. Are you getting no progress or slow progress or outraced-by-a-glacier progress?
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Mrrshan
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    hey, Glacier speed I would say.... Managed 350 files over the last 3 hours....
    I assume I will be done sometime roughly at the same point where the hard disk of my laptop breaks down or hell freezes over ^^
    (0)

That's so weird, I recently made a clean install in a second PC and the update took around 4 hours or so.

Still slow as all hell, but nowhere near that bad.
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Character
    Roehgaez
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 4
    Same for me. I can usually get a fresh install updated in about 7 hours.

Been updating for around 5 hours now and it's only done 5%. Maybe will wait a few days to see if it's just overloaded from the campaign.

Tons of people on /r/ffxi are having the same problem so it's not your hardware.
    (0)

8. 05-18-2017 09:41 AM
    Reason
    Double post.

Player
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/pol...ews24932.shtml < 2nd Update server maintenance. Were your problems fixed?
    (0)

Character
    Mrrshan
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Good morning!

Thanks for the comments - The update of course killed itself at some point during the night - I am still missing over 12000 files.
    Restarting the process it does feel like the download is faster.

UPDATE: Done. It did seem that the servers had something to do with the speed.

------------ CLOSED ------------------
    (1)
    Last edited by Travmac; 05-19-2017 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Update