Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Why not create a new FFXI-2 MMO

So, this idea has been floating around in my head for some time now, and I think it's time to bring it to the community. Since the story of FFXI is over I'll share where I think SE could go from here with the world.

So this new game would take place years into the future, maybe 20-30 years after the end of FFXI. I think it should allow players to import their character from FFXI as like their teacher or mentor NPC for their new character. This mentor can later become like a support NPC (kinda like how original FFXIV had a support NPC that was replaced by the chocobo in ARR). However, due to the time since the end of FFXI your support npc "mentor" won't be as powerful as they once were. Sure they'll sport the iconic weapons and gear from whichever job you set them to but it will be scaled down.

Story:
    You can start out the story as such:
    Vana'diel once on the brink of destruction was saved by a valiant hero who took up the call. Time passed and now that hero must train the hero of the new generation. The world has been at peace since the hero's time, but something is stirring in the darkness. A new threat is emerging and it is up to you to take on the mantle of your master's legacy.

Missions/Quests:
    I think story missions should be similarly set up, but have a big chunk of the early missions be from your mentor, and then mid to late level vanilla missions should be for your chosen city. As far as starting point, you should start at a point outside your chosen city training with your master. As part of your training he/she will have you register with your chosen city so that when the story picks up the city will have a reason to call on you.

I think one questline that will likely need a major change is the first tier artifact gear. This should likely be from your master when you hit the threshold for the gear. Have the master pass on the gear from teacher to student for completing various tasks that are job specific, similar but not exactly like FFXIV's AF quests.

Obviously this isn't a very detailed beginning, but FF isn't my property so I'm only suggesting a starting point.

I think mechanics should work much the same as the current game to appeal to those who spent so much time in the world they loved. While FFXIV is great in its own rights there is a hole left behind for those truly diehard FFXI players who desire a new story in the world they love. A few minor tweaks here and there couldn't hurt, like maybe AoE threat generators and such to make tanking more intuitive. Party leveling is something that should come back, it was a great way to create connections in the game, and it's something that I miss about MMOs now. MMOs these days are all solo except for instances at certain levels until you hit end game, and it really hurts the communities.

I know the likelyhood that this will ever happen is about slim to no chance in hell, but I think it's still worth sharing as an idea.
    (4)

Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 essentially was "FFXI-2" in terms of concept. As in instead of investing and overhauling FFXI at the time (2005) they decided a new MMO would be wiser, and they were indeed correct - business wise another MMO (source of revenue) was wiser, but the president at the time (Wada) mishandled the launch to beat out Cataclysm for WoW, so we all know what happened with XIV.

A "FFXI-2" could work quite easily and really not require "much work" since they could easily outsource some of the production like they do all of the HD Remasters/PC versions of their games lately, the problem is SE will not invest heavily in a "dead game" while FFXIV is their baby currently. Story wise we're already quite ahead in the future and already been on the brink of destruction..3 times. (CoP, WoTG and RoV) so a 4th time could essentially be we've ended up in "another version" of Vana'diel as explained in the WoTG/Abyssea storyline.
    (2)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Player
    I feel it necessary to contest one point. FFXI isn't a dead game, it's a completed game. While player base is diminishing, it's ultimately still an active game. The problem is the Trust concept practically turned it into a single player game. Also, while FFXIV may be going strong, there is still a market for a new story in Vana'diel. I'd say only about a third of retired FFXI players went to FFXIV: ARR, but that's just a personal estimation.
    (3)

Character
    Loona
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    What you describe might as well be a single-player version of XI where one mostly plays as Iroha from Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, whom indeed has the player character as a teacher.
    (2)

Player
    I mean, yeah that could work, but who's to say Iroha was the only student. She's the one that the story focused on, but maybe now that Vana'diel was saved maybe Iroha no longer studies under your character, or maybe she's your senpaiwho focuses more on her homeland where you focus more on the fate of Vana'diel. Maybe you get to see Iroha's homeland.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by GAbrielKross View Post
    So, this idea has been floating around in my head for some time now, and I think it's time to bring it to the community. Since the story of FFXI is over I'll share where I think SE could go from here with the world.

So this new game would take place years into the future, maybe 20-30 years after the end of FFXI. I think it should allow players to import their character from FFXI as like their teacher or mentor NPC for their new character. This mentor can later become like a support NPC (kinda like how original FFXIV had a support NPC that was replaced by the chocobo in ARR). However, due to the time since the end of FFXI your support npc "mentor" won't be as powerful as they once were. Sure they'll sport the iconic weapons and gear from whichever job you set them to but it will be scaled down.

Story:
    You can start out the story as such:
    Vana'diel once on the brink of destruction was saved by a valiant hero who took up the call. Time passed and now that hero must train the hero of the new generation. The world has been at peace since the hero's time, but something is stirring in the darkness. A new threat is emerging and it is up to you to take on the mantle of your master's legacy.

Missions/Quests:
    I think story missions should be similarly set up, but have a big chunk of the early missions be from your mentor, and then mid to late level vanilla missions should be for your chosen city. As far as starting point, you should start at a point outside your chosen city training with your master. As part of your training he/she will have you register with your chosen city so that when the story picks up the city will have a reason to call on you.

I think one questline that will likely need a major change is the first tier artifact gear. This should likely be from your master when you hit the threshold for the gear. Have the master pass on the gear from teacher to student for completing various tasks that are job specific, similar but not exactly like FFXIV's AF quests.

Obviously this isn't a very detailed beginning, but FF isn't my property so I'm only suggesting a starting point.

I think mechanics should work much the same as the current game to appeal to those who spent so much time in the world they loved. While FFXIV is great in its own rights there is a hole left behind for those truly diehard FFXI players who desire a new story in the world they love. A few minor tweaks here and there couldn't hurt, like maybe AoE threat generators and such to make tanking more intuitive. Party leveling is something that should come back, it was a great way to create connections in the game, and it's something that I miss about MMOs now. MMOs these days are all solo except for instances at certain levels until you hit end game, and it really hurts the communities.

I know the likelyhood that this will ever happen is about slim to no chance in hell, but I think it's still worth sharing as an idea.
    its not a bad idea, however sounds like more of a nonMMO game, perhaps when the decide to shutdown ff11 they release a ff15 art/combat/design style game revolving around that story? ffXI-2 would suite it as a title (Since everything else seems to use FF**-2 too)

Hell, if they design it right and make a proper story/graphics. could very well land a whole new series based on ff11 for the console(I'm not refering to a MMO or some small phone game)
    (0)

Player
    Honestly, I'd much rather it be an MMO. I'm all for the online interactions, and there are so many memories from FFXI that a single player game just wouldn't cut it imo.
    (0)

Player
    I actually had another great idea I would love dream to happen: To connect both Vana'diel & Eorzea (Hydaelyn) together. After all... both Shantoto and Iroha did visit Eorzea awhile ago. And band of spriggans did have their own enjoyable mischief times in Vana'diel as well. XD

I would love to see this special benefit for players who has both their FF11 & FF14 data in same account where they can sort-of converge into their other respectives when they happen to visit other realms. Even way better if have it's own dedicated major story content for it.

As as small reminder, FF11 players who starts FF14 1.0 back then has this great bonus where they get this special running shoes. Small proof that this could happens. One can only dream tho... lol
    (0)
    Last edited by BobbinT; 04-11-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Player
    won't happen. Main reason is, it would require more work than creating an entirely new game. The vast majority of the jobs available in FFXI don't exist in FFXIV, even then none of them work the same way they do in FFXI. So no, this is not even slightly possible.
    (0)

Character
    Mortificator
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    i would like to see them make a new expansion that in itself is a 2.0 of the game with problems from this game fixed, then have the settings of a new continent or even a whole new world via Atomos. Have it that you can then "transfer" your character over for this whole new experience then use the same system to allows players to travel to 1.0 areas to complete quests.

Not sure but might be a MMO first to have an expansion as an actual game.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast