Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by GAbrielKross View Post
    won't happen. Main reason is, it would require more work than creating an entirely new game. The vast majority of the jobs available in FFXI don't exist in FFXIV, even then none of them work the same way they do in FFXI. So no, this is not even slightly possible.
    Back then, they say impossible to FF7 remake and here we are with remake in development. lol
    (funny thing is... I'm actually one of many who was against the remake. )

Still crossing fingers... XD
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuk View Post
    It really wouldn't, they'd sooner move onto a new MMO separate from both XI and XIV.
    Considering the MMOs they have to offer and their history, they would sooner revisit XI than go to a new product. It would cost significantly less to modernize and push XI than it would a new MMO currently even if said "modernization" is an essential soft relaunch. It is by no means cheap, but a ballpark figure based on the company I work it would virtually be choosing between 20m and 50m and that's not considering if SE would float the bill out of their own pocket or opt to build a new engine for a new MMO. Remember, XIV itself was only born out of the logic that it would have been wiser to make a new MMO at the time (2005) than revamp XI since there was nothing inherently wrong with XI in order to reboot it beyond graphically. It would have been double the revenue if you had players subbing to both or with XIV being easier to get into, you'd make more profit. XI is currently a windows only title now, the biggest hurdle is rewriting it to DX9/11 or DX12 first and foremost. (That isn't a hard thing to do but it still requires SE to invest in it.)

Making a new MMO of a new IP would be significantly more risky, that's why XI was a numbered entry to begin with and why XIV 2.0+ still has the "Final Fantasy" title even though the only thing that makes it FF are fanservice nods.

Remember - they tried doing a brand new MMO separate from XI and FMO, it didn't work out because it had nothing to stand on. That MMO was called Fantasy Earth. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't "Final Fantasy", which is why "Final Fantasy XVI" would sooner be an MMO before one based on any other IP or brand new IP as DQ already has DQX. Reason I say they'd revisit XI is because it was said a few times if they had the team and funding there's a lot more they can do with it. Hell the new UI they were working on for XI is in limbo because of that reason.

Once XIV became their baby every other project has been kind of put on the backbunner. Including DQX.
    (2)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbinT View Post
    Back then, they say impossible to FF7 remake and here we are with remake in development. lol
    (funny thing is... I'm actually one of many who was against the remake. )

Still crossing fingers... XD
    No, what you're asking for and what you're comparing it to are on two entirely different levels. Do you know how much negative backlash Drk mains in FFXI would put up if they were to transfer their characters to FFXIV. This would be one of the worst things SE could do with the properties. The same would happen with FFXI's Nin mains. FFXIV's system is just too different to port characters from FFXI into there is a reason that there are a lot of diehard FFXI fans that can't stand FFXIV. So no what you wanted will never happen.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by GAbrielKross View Post
    No, what you're asking for and what you're comparing it to are on two entirely different levels. Do you know how much negative backlash Drk mains in FFXI would put up if they were to transfer their characters to FFXIV. This would be one of the worst things SE could do with the properties. The same would happen with FFXI's Nin mains. FFXIV's system is just too different to port characters from FFXI into there is a reason that there are a lot of diehard FFXI fans that can't stand FFXIV. So no what you wanted will never happen.
    again, there's Dissidia, where Shantoto & Prishe made their crossover. There's also Record Keepers, Brave Exvius, etc which also has their crossovers. lol

In fact, Kingdom Hearts alone are IMO an impossible crossover. And yet... here we are, living with their franchise spanning 2 decades.

As for FF14 itself, it already has crossover with Yokai Watch, and now-ongoing GARO franchise.

I do understand you concern regarding gameplay mechanic, but that wasn't what I'm even suggesting in first place. In fact, I kinda prefer gameplay mechanic stay within each series. What I'm suggesting is on the story side, that's all! If you haven't played FF14, I'll just inform you that there's past event where Shantoto and even Iroha made their entrance there. And surprisingly, it's not just another cameo. Especially with Iroha, her involvement were kinda make sense when you think about what happened in Rhapsodies between chapter 2 & 3 story. She even has dialogues that suggested my counterpart on both Vana'diel & Eorzea are one and the same (which I am XD ).

There's also 2 (or 3 figures) to mention here. One is Gilgamesh. No, not the one in FF11 I'm afraid, but the FF5 ones which I believed crossed many worlds, and I even believe his existence in current Eorzea are one and the same with his original FF5 appearance, tho some may differs. And another is Cloud of Darkness and the Void which serves as the main villain for Rhapsodies. The Void itself can be said as concurrent major villain for almost every FF series. Heck... it may be suggested that (almost) every FF realms was connected to this entity in some way, which I believe was one of the basis behind Dissidia storyline. I haven't played far with Dissidia myself, so I can't be certain, but the Void has been referenced alot from various info I read.

So in the end, yes, I'm still crossing my fingers since SE did make the impossible possible. lol
    (0)

Player
    What you're asking for is not a crossover. You're asking to import incompatible characters into a game that can't handle them. Out of the 22 available jobs in FFXI you get less than half in FFXIV, even then they do not work the same. Either FFXIV would have to be completely overhauled or you would have to give up the majority of your jobs and accept that the ones you have left are not the same as they used to be. Literally nobody wants the second option, and Square Enix will not do the other option. Like I said this is not a crossover so stop comparing it to them.

Even if you only consider it on a story aspect, there is no way to do this. Iroha and Shantotto are two universal NPCs that have crossed dimensional barriers before in FFXI, so it would make sense to allow them to be used in crossover events. However, player characters can not and will not make story appearance. For one you have an entire race that would get excluded. Two, you don't realize how much extra effort it would be to program the game to base the character on the player's preference. Three, many FFXIV players never played FFXI so having FFXI influence the story at all would exclude them. Four, Shantotto and Iroha didn't even influence the story, they were not story impacting crossovers. It was a special event the same as the Lightning event, optional fate quests. There will never be a crossover that impacts the main story line. Your last point about Iroha is just a fan service to players who play both games, it has no actual impact on the world of Eorzea and will never have an impact.

As to Gilgamesh, in many games he is just a summon, so he should not be included. Side note, of course it's the same Gilgamesh in FFXIV, it was intended to be. It was a crossover side-quest the same as Crystal Tower. As for Cloud of Darkness, Square Enix likes to re-use villains to some degree, but they have to make sense within the context. Cloud of Darkness was reused in FFXI it was not a crossover. You could more logically say it was a crossover in FFXIV since Crystal Tower is literally a crossover side-story that surprise doesn't impact the main story.

So as I've said and will continue to say, it will never happen.
    (1)
    Last edited by GAbrielKross; 05-02-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Player
    I'm sorry, but... since we have Dissidia & Kingdom Hearts franchise, I'm not going to close up the chance of having this grand dream happened. Especially now that SE has been working on FF7 remake which IMO is a huge risky deal. (we all know how majority of remakes do on market despite the decision SE made to pursue this)

BTW, you were thinking way too much on technical side, while I was thinking simpler ways. Like I said, I like to keep gameplay on each sides, just want the story segment happened. This IMO should appeal even to FF14 players who never tried FF11 before. Heck... I even had couple FF14 players who tried FF11, while they admit it's a bit outdated but they do like it. Oh... and as for me, I started FF11 after FF14 and no knowledge of how-to, and yet... here I am already finished almost all story content all the way to Rhapsodies with only few like Voidwatch that I've yet cleared (on Jeuno 2nd tier battle). This is all thanks to countless help from FF11's Bahamut communities that's been really kind to help me on many occasions. So what you thought of FF14 players not getting used to FF11 kinda misleading since I am one of that example. You can look up my achievement profile on both ffxiah & ff14's lodestone for proof.

Also, Cloud of Darkness is just one of the agent to the Void, which should be the one you should check in first place. Dissidia kinda hinted that this entity was responsible to events on almost every FF series.

So again, I will keep this hope in my heart that the joint venture of both Vana'diel and Eorzea (or should I say Hydaelyn now that 4.0 reveals the whole world map of it) may cross paths. XD
    (0)

Player
    Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts are still not the same. They were new franchises created specifically for large scale cross over. They were not singular internal worlds that brought external worlds into them. It is vastly different than what you are talking about and has absolutely 0 bearing on your argument.

Again, no crossover to date has impacted the main story and none will. Eorzea is its own world, just like Vana'diel is its own world too much sets these two universes apart for one story to directly impact the other and vice-versa.

To your little anecdote on starting FFXI after FFXIV. I said nothing about FFXIV players not liking FFXI. I did say that many FFXI hardcore players disliked FFXIV. So your story is irrelevant. Even then A small sample size does not represent the community.

As for Cloud of Darkness, it's just a throw-away explanation as to why this enemy is reused in many games. You are reading too much into it.

So no, I will continue to say this will not and can not happen.

Also, I would ask that you stop detracting from the primary purpose of this thread. This thread has nothing to do with FFXIV, and I am tired of debating this subject.
    (1)

Character
    Crazyvic
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    FF7 have 5M+ copies already sold just for the Name and the FANS. If the game is released in Xbox-one, PC, Nintendo Switch without problems will put over 10M.

Lets see what happen with games tried emulate FFXI sandbox feeling, archage and black desert their playerbase is small, even if these games have Shiny Graphics and give you an amazing "sandbox" experiencie.

MMRPG genre is about of being obsolete people prefer MOBA. So a FFXI Ver 2.0 will be a massive mistake cuz nobody will play that sadly.

I think if Square-enix make a MOBA using characters of FF series, with graphics similar paragon and battles last 20 mins as max that can be be a great hit in sales

Usable characters in the MOBA of square enix. Cloud, Kefka, Zell, Ultimecia, Sephirot, Barret, Zidane, Garnet, Tidus, Kimarhi, auron, lighting, baltier, Lion FFXI, Minfilia FFXIV etc.

FFXI should receive a Duty finder, receive instanced content for 6/12 men, they can fix the DPS jobs balance put all them close of 6000 DPS. Making FFXI modern would be the best for this game
    (0)
    Last edited by CrAZYVIC; 05-06-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I only want to play FFXI computergame. The only virtual world, cybernetic ecology I want to inhabit is Vana'diel.

I personally like the old doll-like graphics in FFXI, the characters and NPCs look like Toy Soldiers and Dolls. I don't like modern hyper-realistic computergames.

I have been on the computergame bus since 1981, when I built a kit ZX80 and typed out a machine code stick-man cricket game. I have seen all the graphical evolutions in computergames for nearly 40 years, and I think FFXI was the "Goldilocks zone" where we got just the right amount of graphical realism and playability, without losing the charm of Toy Soldiers and Doll-Like simplicity.

I personally don't play FF14 at all. I did buy the expensive Box Set with all the books and fancypants stuff in it, I bought that game as a tribute to SquareEnix, as my way of thanking them for Vana'diel. But I didn't play FF14 for more than a week, because it actually caused me physical pain to play it.

FFXI is the greatest computergame in the history of the human race. No challenge, no contest.

FFXI stands alone ontop of Mount Epicalness, smiling wisely into the sunset. FFXI struck a Perfect Balance. Balance is very important. It is no good to throw massive amounts of shiny graphics and realism and big explosions into a game, and expect it to be a good game. There has to be an equilibrium, a balance.

FFXI hit that balance point perfectly. Vana'diel is a beautiful and magical world, and FFXI is the most playable computergame arcade style RPG engine in the history of the world.

FFXI did not lose popularity because of FFXI, or even because of SE. FFXI lost popularity because of the fickle and shallow nature of the modern consumer market, where everything has to be faster, shinier and more glamorous.

Modern games are less about gaming proficiency, hand-speed reflexes and strategic skills, and more about "look at me I'm so beautiful and important and special." The current game culture is all perfectly dreadful and sad, IMHO.

I love Vana'diel with all my heart, Vana'diel is the source of all the true joy in my life. And I will play FFXI until the day it is no longer available to play.

I will never buy any new computergames after FFXI, unless there was a FFXI 2.0 which is a >95% clone of FFXI.

If I can't play FFXI, I will go back and play Baldur's Gate series, again, for the millionth time. You must gather your party before venturing forth.
    (3)

Character
    Vinedrius
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    I only want to play FFXI computergame. The only virtual world, cybernetic ecology I want to inhabit is Vana'diel.

I personally like the old doll-like graphics in FFXI, the characters and NPCs look like Toy Soldiers and Dolls. I don't like modern hyper-realistic computergames.

I have been on the computergame bus since 1981, when I built a kit ZX80 and typed out a machine code stick-man cricket game. I have seen all the graphical evolutions in computergames for nearly 40 years, and I think FFXI was the "Goldilocks zone" where we got just the right amount of graphical realism and playability, without losing the charm of Toy Soldiers and Doll-Like simplicity.
    I must agree. FFXI is one of the most realistic in terms of art style in this genre. Body proportions, architecture, weapons and armors, weathers, seasons etc. are all very coherent as a whole. The art style in most MMOs are cartoony (see: WoW) and/or so out of proportions (i.e. structures are absurdly huge in relation to characters, see: FFXIV). I am not saying those are bad design choices. I just prefer "realistic" art styles.
    (0)
    Last edited by Vinedrai; 05-07-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast