Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    There should be an option to disable afterglow visuals in general (like for avatar glows), if only for the fact that they can negatively impact game performance. If I'm in a high population area where the framerate is already unstable (or playing with weather/shadows on), afterglows seem drop it further. Yeah you can lockstyle your REMA into something else, but you can't force other players to do the same.
    The only thing that bugs me personally about AG effects is that even if you put the game into the "everybody in their undies" mode, AGs still display.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Ok, that avatar/trust thing must be what I was thinking of. ><;; For some reason I just fuzzily remembered it as "turn off all glowy effects". Thanks for the clarification. ^^

If you look thru or kept up with the last few years of devposts, you'd probably notice the same thing frequently popping up (paraphrased): "We can't do >that< because it would be the work equivalent of an entire monthly update." Yes, the game's not gonna implode if we hear it yet again, but it makes sense to avoid asking for things in a way that is likely to get that canned response since that also means that our suggestions are being trashed by default. We also know that there are hardware-related difficulties in adding any new models/animations at this point due to lack of PS2 devkits, which is why we haven't gotten anything actually "new" other than the three Master Trial weapons in the past 2yrs. "Adjustments" to Afterglow animations would almost certainly fall into that category, which is why I suggested tacking gear glow display onto the same command/config that turns off avatar/trust glows. I believe that it would be a simpler task to connect AG animations to the aura blocker command than it would be to directly change anything regarding animations.
    That's just hyperfocusing on a response. If the devs respond they can't, it doesn't mean they now spent time answering questions that they could have been otherwise answering. It's not an AMA or interview. They already pick what they want to respond to.

It doesn't matter if there's hardware-related difficulties. You keep saying that over and over again in a lot of recent threads but seriously if they think something is feasible and a good idea, they will do it or not do it. What I meant by my earlier post is there's no need predictioning. Suggestions can be put out there and don't need to be shutdown with "oh well I know what SE can and cannot do based on what they said here and there". Until they literally tell us to stop providing feedback to graphical changes in any capacity because it's never gonna happen, don't shut people down.

If you want to quote SE's behavior and words, they also said another expansion is not completely off the table if they can do it. They've also added filters for tons of things there was no huge amount of requests for. There was no "welp no update this month because we added this filter option". You can disagree and not see a reason for it without speaking through SE.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwolf View Post
    That's just hyperfocusing on a response. If the devs respond they can't, it doesn't mean they now spent time answering questions that they could have been otherwise answering. It's not an AMA or interview. They already pick what they want to respond to.

It doesn't matter if there's hardware-related difficulties. You keep saying that over and over again in a lot of recent threads but seriously if they think something is feasible and a good idea, they will do it or not do it. What I meant by my earlier post is there's no need predictioning. Suggestions can be put out there and don't need to be shutdown with "oh well I know what SE can and cannot do based on what they said here and there". Until they literally tell us to stop providing feedback to graphical changes in any capacity because it's never gonna happen, don't shut people down.

If you want to quote SE's behavior and words, they also said another expansion is not completely off the table if they can do it. They've also added filters for tons of things there was no huge amount of requests for. There was no "welp no update this month because we added this filter option". You can disagree and not see a reason for it without speaking through SE.
    "Hyperfocusing" XD
    It's been pretty common actually to hear that paraphrase the last couple years. There are reasons, they have talked about the issues involved w/ further development including the difficulties involved with graphical assets, and it most certainly does matter if the hardware-related difficulties involved have to do with the shortage of PS2 devkits they need to use in order to add new graphical assets. I'm relatively certain that there is no one on staff currently who is credited w/ being able to handle creating new graphical assets as well, (at the very least no one has shown up in the Freshly Picked broadcasts.) My stance is simply that it is far more beneficial for all of us if we focus on stuff that we know could be done within the known/stated limitations the current dev team has to work with.

Filters (like what I'm saying they can/should do) are feasible. Adding the AG effect to an existing on/off switch, or making a new on/off switch is probably doable. Changing the location of the graphical effect would involve dealing with animations/models and would be a silly amount of work for no impact on actual gameplay, and changing the animations themselves are basically not doable as far as we've been told.

The way their answer to the new expansion question was worded was more like "It's not a 100% impossibilty" which translates to "We don't want to rule it out now and get yelled at later if we decide to do it." XD As far as content getting left out due to seemingly small/simple changes, I'm betting that the reason that the 3rd stage for Escutcheons is not coming out this month is due to them adding a way to display Craftsmanship changes in the chatlog (which they said took more work than they expected.) If you look at the content of this month's update, there's very little meat to it overall.. You might even say that "welp nearly no update this month because we added this chatlog option." ^_~
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

since the afterglow effect is simply a light that sits in the middle of your charactor, a on or off /switch would work, while i am a master of a job the stars above my head annouys me so i am glad they gave the option to remove it
    (0)

also, being able to disable the afterglow effect would probably reduce lag for those with older computers much like removing the shadow effect, it might not seem like much, but it makes a difference
    (0)

6. 04-04-2017 04:11 PM

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Filters (like what I'm saying they can/should do) are feasible. Adding the AG effect to an existing on/off switch, or making a new on/off switch is probably doable.

The way their answer to the new expansion question was worded was more like "It's not a 100% impossibilty"
    I think you missed what I was trying to point out with the AMA question about expansions. The short of it is, you can't speak for SE because you're not a representative of the company.

Hypothesizing from what they choose to tell us is fine and all for discussion but not a reason to shut down a suggestion. It's not fact and they've done a lot of things that have exceeded expectations in the past.

It's an on/off switch which has been pointed out. Your initial reply to the OP summarized was "no, SE can't handle new graphical changes and you're eating up dev time" with this long reason why.

Watching the latest Freshly picked in Japan and JP posts might feel like there is some expertise into the inner workings of the company, but it's just simply being a fan and there is no offense meant at that. I do it myself.

I'm not trying to change the mind of anyone who wants to make their own truth through SE replies. I only comment on the reality that we don't know 100% through theory. Feeling like the forum needs to be policed for suggestions because it is eating potential dev and community rep time is ridiculous to me.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Rwolf View Post
    I think you missed what I was trying to point out with the AMA question about expansions. The short of it is, you can't speak for SE because you're not a representative of the company.

Hypothesizing from what they choose to tell us is fine and all for discussion but not a reason to shut down a suggestion. It's not fact and they've done a lot of things that have exceeded expectations in the past.

It's an on/off switch which has been pointed out. Your initial reply to the OP summarized was "no, SE can't handle new graphical changes and you're eating up dev time" with this long reason why.

Watching the latest Freshly picked in Japan and JP posts might feel like there is some expertise into the inner workings of the company, but it's just simply being a fan and there is no offense meant at that. I do it myself.

I'm not trying to change the mind of anyone who wants to make their own truth through SE replies. I only comment on the reality that we don't know 100% through theory. Feeling like the forum needs to be policed for suggestions because it is eating potential dev and community rep time is ridiculous to me.
    perhaps what you shoulda done is read what she wrote, she was paraphrazing from SE quotes
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    You didn't read what I wrote at all if you believe I'm saying she isn't paraphrasing. Instead of just replying read what she wrote in a combative tone, have a discussion.
    (0)

i was refering to the part that where you said "you can't speak for SE because you're not a representative of the company"
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Until SE says there is no graphical changes whatsoever and to not suggest any changes to it. It is speaking for them through guesswork and reinterpretation.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast