Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

PLEASE - Try to think when scheduling maintenance, please! :)

Hello,

NOTE: This thread is not about emergency maintenance, but maintenance planned weeks / months in advance.

Tonight's (March 27, 2017) maintenance is from 17:00 PDT to 00:00 PDT. This period is both:
    1. During several monthly events and
    2. Covers 100% of today's "Gain XP" RoE Limited Time Challenage (20:00 to 00:00 PDT).

It would be WONDERFUL for SE to look at the game and not schedule planned maintenance during popular events, such as "Gain XP," Voidwatch, etc.

After all, scheduling new / replacement hardware has had to be in the works for weeks - most likely MONTHS. Choosing the next day (in this case) would showing consideration to the customers and NOT AT ALL DIFFICULT, say 1 to 2 months ago! Right? Right!

SUGGESTION: Right now all monthly events start on or around the 11th and terminate at the end of the month. Limited Time Challenges are on a set schedule. So, why not:

1) Schedule all non-monthly planned maintenance (such as server upgrades) during the time between the 1st and the 10th?
    2) Look at the RoE LTC and avoid "Gain XP," as much as is humanly possible! I'm just saying avoid, if at all possible "Gain XP." If this isn't possible, well, OK, but at least let us know you tried, please.

Honestly, avoiding monthly events and "Gain XP" is NOT difficult, at all, WHEN you do it from the start of the planning!

In this case, the persons scheduling this maintenance, obviously, started months ago (e.g. ordering hardware). Choosing a time between say April 1 and 10 and avoiding "Gain XP" should be simple, when done at the beginning (weeks / months ago).

Thank you.
    (0)
    Last edited by IBHalliwell; 03-28-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Help insure suggestion is clear: Just take customers into consideration for planned maintenance.

Player
    Odds are good that this was not planned months ago. It doesn't take that long to order hardware. They most likely care less about ROE scheduling and more about labor scheduling.
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

It would be nice if they could schedule things like that, specially because it always seems to fall on the windows I have to play.

That said though, that kind of maintenance usually falls on the unplanned/urgent side of things so scheduling can be difficult. And while the hour may be unfortunate for people living around the GMT-6 zones the fact is it falls on JP morning, aka the beginning of the work day and the hours with the least player traffic that fall under Japanese work hours. So it makes sense they would schedule it for this hour specifically.

Remember years ago when people in EU complained maintenance always fell on EU peak times? That was because back then XI had people who would perform maintenance after Japanese midnight/early morning, which was the best for NA and JP players. But with the current crew chances are there aren't people that would perform midnight maintenance anymore. So now NA gets the maintenance fun times instead.
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Player
    It's starting at 10am JST I believe, which makes the timing make sense. Do you expect their workers to pull a graveyard shift (and SE to pay for the shift difference) just so you don't miss a "Gain Exp" RoE? XD
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Consideration (e.g. day delay) is all I was suggesting (also only for planned mainten

Quote Originally Posted by Raydeus View Post
    It would be nice if they could schedule things like that, specially because it always seems to fall on the windows I have to play.

That said though, that kind of maintenance usually falls on the unplanned/urgent side of things so scheduling can be difficult. And while the hour may be unfortunate for people living around the GMT-6 zones the fact is it falls on JP morning, aka the beginning of the work day and the hours with the least player traffic that fall under Japanese work hours. So it makes sense they would schedule it for this hour specifically.

Remember years ago when people in EU complained maintenance always fell on EU peak times? That was because back then XI had people who would perform maintenance after Japanese midnight/early morning, which was the best for NA and JP players. But with the current crew chances are there aren't people that would perform midnight maintenance anymore. So now NA gets the maintenance fun times instead.
    I totally noticed when it starts in Japan, as I work a Japanese schedule (even though I'm US based). My point is a day's delay (e.g. Wednesday versus Tuesday) isn't hard for someone to schedule.

Please note: I wasn't talking about urgent maintenance, but non-monthly / non-urgent maintenance. Basically maintenance that one plans weeks or even months in advance. In fact (at the start of the message) I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Ibhalliwell View Post
    NOTE: This thread is not about emergency maintenance, but maintenance planned weeks / months in advance.
    (0)
    Last edited by IBHalliwell; 03-28-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Point out I wasn't talking about urgent / unplanned maintenance

Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    It's starting at 10am JST I believe, which makes the timing make sense. Do you expect their workers to pull a graveyard shift (and SE to pay for the shift difference) just so you don't miss a "Gain Exp" RoE? XD
    It started 08:00 Tuesday JST.

When did I suggest or say graveyard? I said a day's delay is all as an example for this non-monthly / non-urgent maintenance. Having the maintenance on Wednesday at 08:00 JST wouldn't mean graveyard for anyone or is Wednesday 08:00 JST a graveyard time?

If the SE management thought about the customer (e.g. FFXI players) in a positive say it would benefit us all, right!? RIGHT!
    (1)

Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Odds are good that this was not planned months ago. It doesn't take that long to order hardware. They most likely care less about ROE scheduling and more about labor scheduling.
    An one day delay in this case wouldn't cause to many issues, would it? Wednesday versus Tuesday!

As for the planning time, I said weeks or months.

FFXI runs on high-end blade servers and these run into the hundreds of thousands (I suspect millions of dollars for all worlds). A company doesn't spend this type of money on the spur of the moment (a few days). SE would set this upgrade during the budget cycle for this year, which would occur during last year's budget cycle.

If you look at the length of the outage, it clearly shows SE is doing major hardware upgrades! This isn't cheap PLUS the coordination of getting hardware out, in, and tested in the window means they started planning this a good while ago.

I worked for two computer hardware manufactures - IBM and Cray Research - and seen what it takes to do this type of work. It is not quick and requires detailed planning. Adding in some customer consideration, as I'm suggesting, is not asking too much.

I'm just saying if SE management could think about us, it would be a benefit!

All I am asking is two things:

1) Schedule between the 1st and 10th (or 1st and the monthly maintenance) all non-monthly / non-urgent maintenance. In simple terms: maintenance you know is coming and isn't the once a month one.

2) Avoid popular Limited Time Challenges, such as "Gain XP." The times of these are well known and can be factored in during the planning!
    (1)
    Last edited by IBHalliwell; 03-28-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by IBHalliwell View Post
    It started 08:00 Tuesday JST.

When did I suggest or say graveyard? I said a day's delay is all as an example for this non-monthly / non-urgent maintenance. Having the maintenance on Wednesday at 08:00 JST wouldn't mean graveyard for anyone or is Wednesday 08:00 JST a graveyard time?

If the SE management thought about the customer (e.g. FFXI players) in a positive say it would benefit us all, right!? RIGHT!
    If they scheduled maints to be convenient for us, that would most likely put them in the middle of the night for them. I'm just looking at the time frame, not the day. I was actually looking forward to this GainExp btw... I took a short break and came back to no Yoran on 13x characters, so figured this would be the easiest way to fix that. Still not upset, and still think it's not something that we should be that upset about either. Although, it would have been nice if we got more than a day's notice, especially once they have all their logistics in place and are ready to roll.

You mention "high-end blade servers", but I've never heard about SE saying anything about the hardware this runs on. Do you have proof of some sort? (Not being mean, genuinely interested.)
    I've always been curious about how difficult it might be for them to keep the server software running fine given 15yrs of hardware advancement.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 03-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.

you are one of a few that consider gain exp to have any importances, when they schedule a maintance, they schedule, get over it, don't whine over something like that, where ever you live, or w/e your doing, at some point someone is gonna get hit with the maintance, the world is a massive place, try feeling for the people who get hit with it other times.. it landed this time during something you want to do, whooptido, now realise there are thousands of other people that get affected during other days, hell someone probably woulda been pissed if they did it on a tuesday,

YOUR NOT THE ONLY PLAYER PLAYING THIS GAME!!!!
    (1)

Character
    Ibhalliwell
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If they scheduled maints to be convenient for us, that would most likely put them in the middle of the night for them.
    I totally disagree and for two reasons:

1) I did not mention any specific customer or location! As I mentioned earlier (maybe you missed it), my work requires I follow a Japanese day. Thus I wake up in the US evening and go to sleep in the US morning.

I am not advocating in anyway shape or form SE make their maintenance convenient for North or South American customers.

I am advocating SE management try to be convenient for ALL customers anywhere in the world!

2) I gave an example: Moving the maintenance from TUESDAY 08:00 JST to WEDNESDAY 08:00 JST.

Maybe I missed something, but how is Wednesday 08:00 JST in the middle of the night for them? Honestly, I don't understand how someone can complain about a 24 hour difference. It isn't in the middle of the night for them, but it would have been more convenient for every player, in the world.

Also I seriously wonder if having it between April 1 and 10th at 08:00 JST wouldn't have been possible. I suspect, though, they wanted to spend the Yen during this quarter and not the upcoming one, thus scheduling it this week not next. If this is the reason they scheduled it for this week, well, they did the right thing. I'd only suggest next time try to do it between the 1st and 10th of March.

But again doing it on WEDNESDAY at 08:00 JST would NOT put it in the middle of the night for them is my main point!

You mention "high-end blade servers", but I've never heard about SE saying anything about the hardware this runs on. Do you have proof of some sort? (Not being mean, genuinely interested.)
    I've always been curious about how difficult it might be for them to keep the server software running fine given 15yrs of hardware advancement.
    Sure! I read it several years back, but don't have the link on me right now. As I read, each area (or some are groups of areas) run on a blade. Thus Bastok Mines (for example) runs on say blade 15, while Port Sandy run on blade 25. In some cases, it might be a group of areas running on one blade. This is one reason, when you change areas there is a delay or why when entering certain battle fields there might not be room for you.

As for operating system, it has its basis in Unix / Linux, but is specific to the game.

I will try to find the articles and threads I read.

I can say this immediately: There is a private server for FFXI play and they use "The server is hosted on enterprise level hardware and a 75mbit connection, so speed isn't an issue." Also if you look at the main website, they show multiple servers supporting the one world of Nasomi at: http://nasomi.com/status/

(Please note the above paragraph includes 3 links to help you understand.)

Of course this information is not about SE directly, but again I don't remember right off my head where I read the information on the SE hardware and software. I'm giving you what I remember off the top of my head.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast