Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Folken View Post
    Only tangently related, but...

My biggest problem with ffxiclopedia is anytime I click on an image to get the bigger version (such as a map), it signs me out of wikia, changing me back to the awful default monaco skin instead of monobook.
    Yeah, the image system they use there is downright terrible. If you want maps, use ffxi-atlas instead. Much superior. That, and half of the time you try to view a map on ffxiclopedia, it won't actually bring up the CORRECT map, it'll bring up one of the others, and pop this GIANT ugly window up that locks your browser up for 5 minutes at a time (or at least it does on my slower computer).
    (0)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I still dont trust ffxi atlas since that iframe debacle forever ago. I feel like i checked it not too long ago and it was no where near up to date anyways.

In the last month (even last few days) there has been alot of additions/updating on BG wiki. They added items available for sparks. alot of guild point type items due to the new eschutcheons ect...

Personally when ever i need a wiki i check both ffxiclopedia and bgwiki. often times one will lack a step or have some confusing steps (often they will have the same step two or three times, which makes me wonder if i need to click this same ??? over and over which is a pain for things like the COR af quests, which have you goin to an annoying to get to place to start almost every quest.) Its not even clopedia for older content bg for newer stuff anymore, ive seen both randomly skip a step or fail to mention a bit that would be nice to know ahead of time (thats why i check both, and go on from the one i prefer for that purpose.).
    (0)

Player
    For the 75cap era stuff, you could also still check out allakhazam. XD It's dead as far as updates go, but all the ancient stuff is still there... I found posts I made over a decade ago still up. The funny thing is that a lot of the quest/mission type stuff had a lot more detail than wikis (probably due to the difficulty difference between a forum post and a wiki page update.) Since damn near zilch has ever changed as far as that content goes, it still works fine. ^^ The only major diffs would be that certain things have lower wait times or other QOL type nerfs to them like the KI route for LB.

Atlas works great still too, for pre-SOA content. SOA or newer maps, I usually go to bgwiki since they have detailed marked maps for all the zones. Just scroll down to the bottom of the zone page to find them. ^^
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

As with most people, I use BG wiki since its the most continually updated (Yet still lagging due to constant content). however for detailed old content, i rarely look at wikipedia, thats more for indepth guides or information. for wiki as it loads, i hit the stop button next to the address bar and that seems to stop or severly limit the lag, however i don't like doing that for every page i load so i limit the use of wiki
    (0)

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Songen View Post
    As with most people, I use BG wiki since its the most continually updated (Yet still lagging due to constant content). however for detailed old content, i rarely look at wikipedia, thats more for indepth guides or information. for wiki as it loads, i hit the stop button next to the address bar and that seems to stop or severly limit the lag, however i don't like doing that for every page i load so i limit the use of wiki
    I've never experienced this lag on ffxiclopedia, but I've used the monobook skin since they changed the layout to monaco. If you want to use it, I suggest signing in and changing the skin. It also fixes some of the broken tables that were made before the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    It's unfortunate that not too many moved on to Gamer Escape with us, and as such, I can't really recommend it as a (full) replacement (should work for some of the stuff), as I'm pretty much the only one editing there... and there's lots to be fixed and new stuff to be added still! ^^;
    I was under the impression that the GamerEscape exodus was caused, mostly, by changes that Wikia were forcing on ffxiclopedia. Changes like the monaco skin being default. Then GamerEscape started and had the same fixed-width layout, so I stuck with the wiki I knew.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

£°(((><

Quote Originally Posted by Folken View Post
    I was under the impression that the GamerEscape exodus was caused, mostly, by changes that Wikia were forcing on ffxiclopedia. Changes like the monaco skin being default. Then GamerEscape started and had the same fixed-width layout, so I stuck with the wiki I knew.
    That is correct. At least one of the reasons was indeed to have more control on the site.

I was against the layout they chose to go with as well, as it feels cramped to me, but at least there are multiple layouts to choose from (and which to customise). That being said, my Monobook layout is still in effect for Wikia sites, but I'm not sure if it's an actual choice without manually creating it...
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2