Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Bst/Dnc Self Skill Chain Options

I am curious to hear what other avid DD Beastmaster's choose to self skill chain with. Obviously our options to self skill chain with a one handed axe are limited to say the least. Most notably is our inability to create a light effect. I always lead off with rampage for the (18tp) return then reverse flourish (60tp) followed by Decimation, Primal Rend, etc.

I've done most of my testing outside abyssea with regards to self skill chains. I imagine with RR VV APOC tp gain is not much of a problem. Maybe even enough to link Cloudsplitter back to back for Darkness in high haste situations.

Basically I'm interested in hearing what sort of damage you guys do inside, and outside abyssea. Also do you think Dagger is possibly a better option with regards to Bst/Dnc self chains. Trade off of 39 levels of skill to have the increased tp gain of 2 multi hit WS options.
    (0)

~Party Rock Anthem~

Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    I am curious to hear what other avid DD Beastmaster's choose to self skill chain with. Obviously our options to self skill chain with a one handed axe are limited to say the least. Most notably is our inability to create a light effect. I always lead off with rampage for the (18tp) return then reverse flourish (60tp) followed by Decimation, Primal Rend, etc.

I've done most of my testing outside abyssea with regards to self skill chains. I imagine with RR VV APOC tp gain is not much of a problem. Maybe even enough to link Cloudsplitter back to back for Darkness in high haste situations.

Basically I'm interested in hearing what sort of damage you guys do inside, and outside abyssea. Also do you think Dagger is possibly a better option with regards to Bst/Dnc self chains. Trade off of 39 levels of skill to have the increased tp gain of 2 multi hit WS options.

We don't have very much when it comes to dagger WS. frankly, Only evisceration and Aeolian Edge are useful, and if you are looking for high damage... only Evisceration.
    (0)
    Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
    --Beastmaster Forever--

Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilk View Post
    We don't have very much when it comes to dagger WS. frankly, Only evisceration and Aeolian Edge are useful, and if you are looking for high damage... only Evisceration.
    Yeah only self skill chain option I know off the top of my head for dagger is when I'm on thf Evis > Shark Bite. That wouldn't be possible with dnc sub unfortunately tho. The thing that got me thinking about it in the 1st place was that crazy tp gain you have with Twilight Knife, and Richardet's axe +2.

I posted this thread here, and on ffxiah. Honestly your only the 2nd bst to reply who has dnc sub Got a lot of "Bst's don't self skill chain" and "wtf dnc sub? your only spose to use whm, and ninja yo" replies so far lol.

I'm trying to work out a gearset/STP food where I can self skill chain Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter reliably without crossing my fingers for multi attack procs from gear, and richardets.
    (0)

~Party Rock Anthem~

Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    OK finally got some time to go out and do some testing in Abyssea. With RR VV and Sea Daughter you have plenty of regain to self skill chain, and test things out.

Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter does produce darkness.

Cloudsplitter > Decimation or vice versa produces light.

It seems the only sensible way to maximize damage is to CS > CS then spam rampages till the aftermath wears, and needs to be reapplied.

While I realize that farsha was never gonna put out huge damage #'s, and it shouldn't because pets are a large part of our DOT, and making CS do huge #'s would overpower the job it would have been nice if SE had made it somewhat stronger than it is atm.
    (0)
    Last edited by Zaknafein; 07-06-2011 at 05:57 AM.

~Party Rock Anthem~

I posted this thread here, and on ffxiah. Honestly your only the 2nd bst to reply who has dnc sub Got a lot of "Bst's don't self skill chain" and "wtf dnc sub? your only spose to use whm, and ninja yo" replies so far lol.
    It's funny you mention that you received such a response.

When I was soloing in sky in the early 70's, I'd bookmarked a few solo/duo guides across various communities to compare notes and give myself a little more variety. Considering I abhor WHM (the job, not the people who play it, mind you - no troll bait here, move along) the only viable subjob options for that place I'd had were RDM, SCH, and NIN. ONE guide writer theorized that DNC as a sub might be especially useful for soloing pots, and the idea intrigued me. I wanted to level DNC anyway as a sub for SAM soloing and got to it.

Wow! It was amazing for BST and certainly easier on the wallet (NIN tools)! That was ages ago and to this day /dnc is my preferred sub on this job, for basically everything in and out of Abyssea (except farming, of course).

Moral of the story? Remind the cookie-cutters on the day they pay your monthly FFXI fees, you'll listen to their truly ignorant prattle.

I'm trying to work out a gearset/STP food where I can self skill chain Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter reliably without crossing my fingers for multi attack procs from gear, and richardets.
    Very interesting findings in your post after the one I'm replying to and a bit ... yeah... depressing? I don't have Cloudsplitter, nor do I have the motivation or inventory to bother getting a weapon that can do it, though I'd dearly like to play with the weaponskill. I am interested in seeing any StoreTP builds you're able to fuss out. What would be funny and gamebreaking would be if BST could renkei with their pets. Spiral Spin > Primal Rend for a Level 2 - that'd be rich!
    (0)

Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I need to amend my previous testing. When I went to test the other night Mis coast was extra buggy/lagfest. Cloudsplitter > Cloudsplitter does produce Darkness. Went to test again a bit earlier, and had no problem linking the two with RR, Sea Daughter, and Atma of the lion.

So end results inside abyssea are:

CS > CS = Darkness
    CS > Decimation (and vice versa) = Light

Still working on a viable build to be able to link CS > CS outside abyssea without sacrificing any of my haste. Only chains I've been able to do reliably so far outside is Rampage > Decimation, or Rampage > Primal Rend. When I arrive at a decent set up I will post it.
    (0)

~Party Rock Anthem~

Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    motivation for me to finish my bhukis kills.

I don't mind the damage on cloudsplitter.... I would just like it if it were a small AoE :P
    (0)
    Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
    --Beastmaster Forever--

Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilk View Post
    motivation for me to finish my bhukis kills.

I don't mind the damage on cloudsplitter.... I would just like it if it were a small AoE :P
    Yeah the WS is definitely in need of some sort of adjustment. I have been able to fairly reliably link Decimation >> Cloudsplitter = Light outside abyssea. Solo without haste or marches. I have added to my Decimation macro Taranis's harness, and hoard ring. This coupled with Carbonara allows for the needed tp gain to make self light on about 8 out of every ten attempts.

Decimation 16-21 tp return, 60tp from reverse flourish, then the following attack round where if both hits land all you need is a DA/TA/QA to proc, or make sure you have hate prior to beginning the chain, and a hit from the mob will put you @100tp to close the chain with Cloudsplitter.

The unfortunate reality being Dec > CS = light only nets you a little more than a fully accurate Rampage. Slightly more in some of the WS performed in my testing, but overall only a modest increase. Where as if you rampage > reverse flourish > rampage your doing far more even w/o the chain.

I've not been able to link CS > CS = darkness outside solo yet. Still need to pick up some other STP options like tactical mantle, Odin earring, etc, to make that reliable. However I do not believe even with the CS > CS chains, and having the aftermath up constantly am I going to produce more damage then just spamming rampage over, and over, and... you get the idea ^^

To put the effort into making a farsha coupled with having a decent tp, and WS set, and going the extra mile with the whole reverse flourish to self chain bit, and still being out damaged by a WS like rampage we've had forever is just meh. What exactly is the boon to bst for this weapon aside from the highest base damage @90 2nd only to Aymur, and the +str, and +mnd on it? A slightly lower delay?

It's certainly not the access to amber from Cloudsplitter. Bst already had access to that thru Aeolian Edge(which at least is AoE, and can assist in amber gathering along with AoE pet attacks) or Primal rend for those w/o dagger skilled up.

A brew toy? Once again Bst had Primal Rend which was plenty of brew power for Bst.

So please SE take a look at these factors, and make some sort of a needed adjustment. For myself it isn't the end of the world. I am fortunate enough to have a solid group for empy's, but if I were a career bst trying to solo my way to farsha in the effort to be the best I can at the job I would be pretty nonplussed with the current state of it.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zaknafein; 07-11-2011 at 03:19 PM.

~Party Rock Anthem~